Josie and her milk and her hormones and her grump.....please help!!

lennysmith

Visit site
Right something has to be done!

Josie has been getting really nasty the past few weeks. Have had teeth, back and now saddle done. Saddle didn't fit, but today she was really bad just brushing her.

She is STILL bagging up over night, she has had 1 season and was actually not that bad during it at all.

What can I do to help her? I've been looking at the 'stroppy mare' type formulars and a lot say they'll help WITH milk production which we def dont want. Also am I right in thinking these are to help more when the mare is in season? As she really wasn't that bad. It's now she's a problem.

Can I get the vet to 'dry her up'? I have called them but as yet they not got back to me.

She is getting really bad with her napping and leaping and she wouldn't even let me brush her mane this morning? Why? Just because. Oh and she bit me
shocked.gif
!!!!!

Please help
frown.gif

Clodagh

Visit site
Whos your vet? I don't know if it would help but House and Jackson used marebles on a friends hormonal warmblood and it was amazing! They may not work for Josie, though, as if they have foaled I think they are more likely to expell them as their cervix is larger. Mmmm...I would speak to your vet.
Also, and sorry for saying this, if she has been pregnant since you bought her then maybe this is what she is like when shes not? Even so, I should have thought regumate or something would help.

lennysmith

Visit site
Yep H+J here too. They are fantstic, and I know they will get back too.

Yes this is what I was worrying about, with only knowing her pregnant. Although Denver has ben off her nearly 6 months now, so was hoping she was just 'Josie' x

galaxy

Visit site
Regumte worked wonders for my friends horse last year. Her season started off as normal in the spring, but she got really moody, you couldn't touch her because she would turn herself inside out to bite or kick you, you couldn't ctach her because she would charge at you, and could get a rug on or off! But she was fine to ride! Throughout the summer her behaviour got worse and her seasons became more continuous. She was put on Regumate and it changed her back to a "normal" mare! Wonderful stuff!

This spring so far she's been an angel which we can't quite believe... Waiting to see if anything changes before she's put back on the Regumate.

lennysmith

Visit site
You see thats the odd thing. She's fab to catch, she'll happily leave the geldings behind. She really is loving free schooling which I've started with her this week as her saddle went a bit off. She's caught on really quick.

It's just her ridden work and she's spooking more when hacking, like all the time. Which is why I went down the saddle, back, teeth route first.

_jetset_

Visit site
Honey, I am sorry to hear you are having problems with Josie... I think she has been having a chat with Grace, who since Troy has been born (and Hannah has not wanted anything to do with her) has become quite grumpy. I am hoping that by moving her into a stable away from Hannah she might loosen her attachment to her.

As for Josie, is she still producing milk? Perhaps she just needs a little bit of help regulating her seasons again, therefore regumate would be a good option (if a little pricey). Hannah used to be on it because a riggy gelding would bring her in season ever 15 days and it worked wonders on her temperment because her hormones were regulated.

Could one of the geldings be causing her to be this grumpy, maybe winding her up (although you would expect her to come in season more in this case, but she could be different).

lennysmith

Visit site
Yep still producing milk for some strange reason. She has no contact or attatchment with D anymore, if he does call from his paddock she'll comletely ignore him.

She goes out with 1 gelding in the morning, my best friends horse. She's always loved him and isn't all over him, infact as long as they are within each others sight they're happy. She then goes out with mares for the rest of the day.

I dunno. I wish she could talk. As I say. One normal season where she was a bit 'hooty' but did her normal 'I'll attatch myself to Mummy's side and I'll be fine'. She comes in from field when called. Free schools with such enthusiasm, right next to the field where her mates are, and the geldings, and could quite easily stop and hollar, but no, always has one ear on me and gets on with it, happily. It's just when I ride. Which again says something 'painy' going on, but I've had all the checks done.

Grrr bloody horses!!!!!!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Some mares can be in pain when in season hence not being great to be ridden - is she ok when not in season at being ridden?

I think it is to do with the ovaries being sore, hence making them unhappy for a few days being ridden each cycle.

Fleur could be a horror to ride in season, so I often did other things or hack out - schooling was a particular problems some months.

Jemima always had milk - vet was not bothered as long as there was no sign of infection - some mares are like this, particularly when on good grazing.

_jetset_

Visit site
And the sore ovaries would bring some sense to her being spooky when being ridden because the saddle rests on the area where their ovaries are...

_jetset_

Visit site
The Regumate would regulate her hormones which could be causing her discomfort under saddle... if it carries on, I would be tempted to speak to the vets when they get back to you and ask what they think would help if it was ovary discomfort.

Hope she settles down for you soon honey.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
I will contact my friend tomorrow who had the mare with the surprise foal. She too had a dreadful time with her and her milk wouldn't dry up despite the foal being moved 8 miles away!
ooo.gif

The vet treat her and she was back to normal pretty quick. I will get back to you as soon as I speak to her
smile.gif