Joy Riders - should I charge to try out

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I've paid and not paid depending on the circumstances and who is getting what out of it, it can be a close line and everyone needs to be happy I'm not going to spoil anything, can usually bring some improvements but I'm not amazing either! I recently opted to start paying to keep what I have now because it suits and the owner ultimately started to need the money rather than just the help so would have had to find someone else.

Friend I thought paid a lot given she would absolutely improve something but she saw it that she was short on time and wouldn't be able to keep one fit enough to event on her own so she saw it as having something that she had help keeping fit that she could go do some BE90/100 on.

My sharer didn't pay as she was hacking him when I couldnt' and saving me a fiver a week in get in fees. It also meant if I wanted to take him hunting on her usual day/he needed a quiet day I didn't.

ditto uni students if you're in the right location, though they do have a habit of going home in the holidays 😂

moosea

Visit site
Firstly I was not dissing hackers. I have an example.

I also do not just let anyone and everyone come. I have a solid conversation about what is expected and ask for videos etc.

also I’m on the edge of London so it’s a little pricey here. Also I didn’t state that it was DIY. There would be no duties and they would be able to compete BS and BD and BE (affliated before I get called up on that aswell).

they wouldn’t be getting donkeys. Both are experienced show jumpers and the one is schooling elementary dressage and competing novice. And safe as houses to hack.
Also includes use of my trailer for shows etc.

Perhaps if you have very fixed criteria for the person who you would like to come and compete your horses for you and pay you, you should perhaps think about paying a proffesional to ride and compete then instead.

I don't think you are having joy riders but perhaps people are reading your advert wrongly or perhaps the people who come do not feel your horses or you are a good fit with them?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Sharing is the fuzziest of lines.

If you want money (fair enough), then you have to expect a level of rider that wouldn’t be of the standard to get free rides.

You say that, but sometimes horse owners win the sharing lottery. Someone in Germany sure did. Caso's owner had to PTS her old gelding before she left the UK (taking Caso, of course) and once she'd settled back in Germany, she was desperate to keep riding. Caso will be two in June (yikes!!), so it will be a while before she can back him. She was thinking about buying a second ridng horse - like I did with Fin - but then came across someone with a very green and slightly nutty and anxious PRE looking for a sharer.

When she texted me about the PRE, I did point out that she would be paying to train someone else's horse, which is a bit ridiculous. And she is a lovely, skillful rider who will improve a horse. Personally, I don't want to pay to ride green horses. It's hard bloody work, but I don't mind when they are my horses, or if it's a free favour to a friend, or if someone is paying me (the last is the best). But paying someone to ride their green horse? Nope.

My friend replied that the horse is at a yard that's very close to Caso's yard, so it's convenient. She also said that it's good for her to get practice on green PREs (though if Caso turns out to be anything like his mother, he will not be slightly nutty and anxious... quite the opposite), and ultimately, she would rather not take on the full responsibility for a second horse if she can avoid it.

Fair enough. I see her points. But man, that horse owner f*cking won the sharer lottery.

Point is, there might be a great rider out there who has reasons for not wanting to buy their own and will pay for a share. Even of bonkers greenies. Not every sharer is a nervous novice not quite ready to jump into the mire of owning.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Sharing is the fuzziest of lines.

You say that, but sometimes horse owners win the sharing lottery. Someone in Germany sure did. Caso's owner had to PTS her old gelding before she left the UK (taking Caso, of course) and once she'd settled back in Germany, she was desperate to keep riding. Caso will be two in June (yikes!!), so it will be a while before she can back him. She was thinking about buying a second ridng horse - like I did with Fin - but then came across someone with a very green and slightly nutty and anxious PRE looking for a sharer.

When she texted me about the PRE, I did point out that she would be paying to train someone else's horse, which is a bit ridiculous. And she is a lovely, skillful rider who will improve a horse. Personally, I don't want to pay to ride green horses. It's hard bloody work, but I don't mind when they are my horses, or if it's a free favour to a friend, or if someone is paying me (the last is the best). But paying someone to ride their green horse? Nope.

My friend replied that the horse is at a yard that's very close to Caso's yard, so it's convenient. She also said that it's good for her to get practice on green PREs (though if Caso turns out to be anything like his mother, he will not be slightly nutty and anxious... quite the opposite), and ultimately, she would rather not take on the full responsibility for a second horse if she can avoid it.

Fair enough. I see her points. But man, that horse owner f*cking won the sharer lottery.

Point is, there might be a great rider out there who has reasons for not wanting to buy their own and will pay for a share. Even of bonkers greenies. Not every sharer is a nervous novice not quite ready to jump into the mire of owning.
Absolutely. I had a long term mid week hacking sharer. Not interested in schooling. Confident, capable, trustworthy, helped out all round. (She didnt have to work on Mondays and Fridays). Capable of ponying off one horse. Loading and driving lorry etc.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I struggled to find someone to help ride mine I didn't want want any money just someone to hack and school with to get them out together mainly, they are not difficult but they are not for complete novices but that's all I seemed to get contacting me for ages.

I did eventually find someone and she still rides when she can although she has 3 children now and works so it's not a regular thing, which is fine it helps me out she knows my horses and gets to ride when she can it suits us both.

Maxidoodle

Visit site
OP, I’ve not read all the replies. If you’re getting unsuitable people, then it can only be due to your advert and your pre-selection criteria. You maybe need to look at reviewing them to get the type of person you want.

J&S

Visit site
.As examples: I have recently experienced painless and very pleasant sharing both ways! No adverts just circumstances coming together.

Six or so ago years ago my competition pony was retired from riding, I bemoaned this to a friend at a party, she mentioned she was leading out a horse on her livery yard to get him fit for the Hunt Relay coming up, why didn't I ride him! Consequently spoke to owners, old PC friends, who were delighted ( I had instructed at this PC) and I rode him and competed him for 5 years till he retired. No money, many perks for me and kept an old horse fit till he had had enough.

In my case, I got a rideable pony as companion to the retired competition pony, was walking them out in the rain one day and neighbour commented on this, i explained I needed to keep the companion pony trim as had tendency towards overweight. I knew she had just had a disappointment with losing a pony so i invited her to come and ride.
She is VERY experienced horse woman, ridden race horses all her life but she loves this pony!! She has now ridden her for over 2 years and no money changes hands, but she will look after my ponies when I need to be away.

I consider both these cases to be a win/ win for us all. Some times things just fall into place.

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
Perhaps if you have very fixed criteria for the person who you would like to come and compete your horses for you and pay you, you should perhaps think about paying a proffesional to ride and compete then instead.

I don't think you are having joy riders but perhaps people are reading your advert wrongly or perhaps the people who come do not feel your horses or you are a good fit with them?

I am definitely having joy riders, I know the difference between not a good fit and someone who just wants a free ride.

I honestly also do not care if they are not competed. I'm not sure you read that I was made redundant so am hardly in the position to pay someone. Why would I pay someone to compete when I am perfectly capable of doing that myself (if i wasn't jobless and did not have a broken wrist).

Jasper151

Visit site
I was recently looking for a sharer as I just needed some help. I spoke to everyone in depth at first, then invited them to the yard to meet me and the horse and then if I liked them I arranged for them to come over at another time to ride out with me. I found this helped draw out the joyriders as they didn't get the free ride at the first meeting. I was lucky and a few people who were suitable.

With regard to financial contribution I was upfront in the first communications, I didn't put it on the advert but told people when I replied to people so they could decide if it was doable for them. My requested contribution was quite low, because there were yard duties and I needed the help more than the money. But I think as long as you are upfront with your expectations those interested can decide if it is what they are prepared to do.

I do a lot of interviewing in my job, so I just treated it the same!