JR x Norfolk terrier

Austen123

Visit site
Hi All,

A friend of the family have just bred a gorgeous litter of puppies with two boys left and i am tempted...
I WFH the majority of the time so am home all day and go to the horses about 3pm for a few hours. My OH is home from work at 5. we lead an active life with the horse and fitness.
My parents also have a dog and would dog sit if we went away on holiday.
However i do know a puppy requires an awful lot of training and time. Obviously, growing up i have always had dogs (westies to be precise) but would you say this combo is a good one for a first time dog owner.

monte1

Visit site
We had this exact cross as our first ever dog when got together as a couple 30 years ago, he was a super terrier had real character-we had him for 14 years- sadly missed !-
Terriers can have a mind of their own but are such fun characters- we also have always both worked pretty much FT and managed OK with juggling him between us at puppy stage (often used to got to work with OH in his van :) we are also a very active family and always out and about- dog just came with us.
We have gundogs- spaniels and labs these days but do miss our terrier at times!
i guess as long as you put in the effort to train them from day one any dog breed can be suitable - it is all about the effort you put into it IMHO :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd expect a gamey, feisty little dog with high prey drive who will probably be a lot of fun and I would work very hard on recall and engagement from an early age.
You can't train out genetics, in my opinion, you just have to work around it ;) good luck!

Austen123

Visit site
thank you! it is always so hard to actually commit to getting a dog although i know when we got him we would happily rise to the challenge although i know there will be a few tears to start with!

EventingMum

Visit site
I have had JRTs all my married life, nearly 33 years and they have all been very individual characters. Some with excellent recall, others not so much. They have all been very loving, fun little dogs. I met a Norfolk Terrier for the first time a few months ago and he was the most wonderful little dog so IMO that would be a great cross!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
sounds like a great cross, i love norfolks and i meet one on our walks regularly and he has great games with my terrier, his owner says he has been quite easy to train apart from the recall which is not always perfect. i think that applies to most terriers,,,dont forget we need piccies!!!!!:D:D
when i got my terrier puppy i had forgotten how much hard work it was, its worth spending lots of time at the beginning to get housetraining and general obedience sorted before you get to the teenage years!! mine is nearly 2 and is now pretty good but i did wonder what the hell i had done and was it a big mistake when i got him....wouldnt swop him for the world ....

Austen123

Visit site
im just so worried about the commitment, i know what it takes and i know i will adapt. But it's just committing to the jump and the change in your routine!
My parents think we are mad getting a puppy (maybe where they are older, they dont like the idea of a puppy (training, house piddles etc), but i know they will look after the dog when we go away (as long as he behaves :) )

ps. i have a habit of overthinking.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Trouble is, puppies all look amazing! I want him and I'm not even a terrorist fan! 🐶

Why do your parents think you're mad given they have a dog?

I'd say go for it given you seen to have the ideal home set up.

pippixox

Visit site
I was scared to tell my mum when we first got a dog! (2 year old rescue GSD) I lived with my now husband and already had horses....but didn’t tell her for 2 weeks.

I did feel very very anxious when I first got him as it was a scary commitment. He did have some issues but was the best dog. I now have two dogs... Would have more if we had the space (my two children take up too much room 😛)

I’m not the biggest JRT fan. But the cross sounds nice. But then I’m a big dog person and breeds that want to please you a bit more... terriers I know tend to act more like cats 😛

Just go for it.... you know you want to!

Austen123

Visit site
my brother said that out of all out family (i have 7 brothers!) i would be the most capable and suitable of looking after dog. he said my mum will come round to it . It's funny because another brother got a rescue staffie with a few issues and she didnt say anything, it's only because im the youngest and probably the closest to my mum she kicks up a fuss

{97702}

Visit site
Are Norfolks the ones with the floppy ears or the stand up ears? I can never remember the difference! Seems like a cute little puppy with a strong personality, I would go for it personally :)

deb_l222

Visit site

Now, I would NEVER thank you for a puppy, they're just not my thing - I like them a bit longer in the tooth but how could you possibly say nooooooo to that??????

On a more serious note, my one and only JRT (Pip) was a fabulous dog. Lived until she was 20 years old, hated kids with a passion, would see off other dogs 12 times the size of her but had a zest for life like no other.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
Are Norfolks the ones with the floppy ears or the stand up ears? I can never remember the difference! Seems like a cute little puppy with a strong personality, I would go for it personally :)

Someone once told me to think Norwich Cathedral- ears like a spire.....ish. It worked for me.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Hi All,

A friend of the family have just bred a gorgeous litter of puppies with two boys left and i am tempted...
I WFH the majority of the time so am home all day and go to the horses about 3pm for a few hours. My OH is home from work at 5. we lead an active life with the horse and fitness.
My parents also have a dog and would dog sit if we went away on holiday.
However i do know a puppy requires an awful lot of training and time. Obviously, growing up i have always had dogs (westies to be precise) but would you say this combo is a good one for a first time dog owner.

He will be great fun, Barky & sparky - just how a little dog should be😀

islander

Visit site
Seems like a great mix. As a family, we have had lots of terrorists over the years, cairns, bull terriers, an Airedale, many Jack Russells and they all have had such definite personalities, all quite individual though. My present JRT is lovely and uncharacteristically has always been a real wimp and never put a paw wrong (he is nearly 15 now).

C1airey

Visit site
We have two of this exact cross. Both from the same parents, but two years between each litter. They are both superb, but very different dogs: one super-chilled, the other constantly on the go. They both have a high prey drive, will chase anything, cannot be trusted with anything small and furry (although they understand that our cat is off-limits), and have very selective hearing. They are bold, intelligent little dogs who take everything in their stride and I cannot imagine life without them now. I’d say go for it!