JRT odd walk?

Slave2Magic

Visit site
We have 2 JRT's. The bitch is shall we say, has more correct conformation than the dog. The dog does what can only be described as pacing? He walks with the front and hind leg moving in pairs on the same side. he can walk normally when he hops to change leg! Has anyone seen this before?

satinbaze

Visit site
A lot of jack Russell's have a tendency to hop and skip on their rear legs. It can be a sign of slipping patella, may be worth getting your vet to check next time you are there. If he does not appear to be in pain then there is no rush.

Bellasophia

Visit site
I found this link below re pacing...it is a gait used by some breeds to economise effort...ie they get tired ,they pace.In some breeds it can be a natural gait eg Neapolitan mastiff...however if your dog has only just started this pacing,it can indicate spinal issues /pain and thus should be checked out when next at the vet.
...similarly hopping can also be an indication of a slipping patella...again a vet will tell you if this is the case and the degree can be assessed(numbered 1 to 4 according to severity)
My vet was recently talking about the jack russell skip and shuffle...her own jrt does this,has been extensiveLy checked and it's in perfect health.I hope this is the case for your boy too,but I would mention it when next at the vet.I agree it's not urgent ,but shouldn't be overlooked.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/4_11/features/5405-1.html

Slave2Magic

Visit site
Very informative link, thankyou. He has always done it and tends to do it more when he is tired. He has no trouble charging round the house and leaping off the furniture! It will be something that we keep an eye on as he gets older. He is only 4.

Beans1

Visit site
Hi Slave2Magic, as above really, its fairly likely your JRT has a slipping patella by what you have mentioned, i'm a animal physiotherapist and this is a condition we do see on a regular basis, particularly in JRT's. I agree to get your vet to have a quick look when you next go for a routine appointment, but I wouldnt worry too much about it, a slipping patella rarely worries or affects a small breed of dog such as a JRT.