JT McNamara in induced coma following fall at Cheltenham

oldvic

Visit site
This. Exactly. Even the hard nosed MacManus and McCoy were as human as one could wish for.
Alec.

I think you are being harsh to call them hard nosed. While they are not soft, they both have a huge amount of compassion. Both are a lot more caring than most in this world and being driven, shrewd and successful doesn't mean that they lack feel and sensitivity. I think this showed today.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I stopped thinking of McCoy as hard nosed the day I watched him have to walk away from the fatally injured young horse Valirimix with tears in his eyes and anguish written all over his face.

Moomin1

Visit site
Don't anybody ever say that these jockeys are a hard-hearted lot.
I've never seen such emotion from them,trainers,owners. Even the Channel 4 team looked like they were struggling to keep it together. A very hard day for all of them.
Fingers crossed for JT and a huge hope for a speedy recovery.

I don't think anybody could accuse jockeys/trainers/owners etc of being hard nosed at all when it comes to a jockey who is seriously injured.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Fingers crossed it is just bone damage.
Sadly if nerve damage is done it will be a serious problem.
i am a physio and spent some time at oswestry The saying for how to remember what each vertebrae nerve supplies is c3,4,5 keep the diaphragm alive. So if a spinal cord is severed that high up then it will be a major paralysis shoulders down- ie only able to move neck and talk- would likely require a trachyostomy as unable to stimulate cough etc so need a way to prevent chest infections. However you can partially sever or even just damage some nerves which can lead to either loss of sensation or muscle power in different nerve root areas and i treated a rugby player with a c3 partial who could stand but only supported as he couldn't feel his legs but had power in them most bizarre for the patient, however he had very limited use of his hands.
Or fingers crossed that this is jt he could have just broken the bones with no spinal cord damage.
Praying for a good outcome.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
No update this morning so its a very much wait and see situation, hoping and praying he makes a full recovery.

It was heart warming to hear how JP had put his private helicopter at the familys disposal to get them over from Ireland to Frenchay.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Dizzydancer, what an interesting post. More prayers needed, perhaps.

Dobiegirl, I agree, heart warming and welcoming, I'm certain.

Alec.

armchair_rider

Visit site
C4 have just said still in induced coma and in serious condition and that there will be no further press release til Tuesday. So sounds like he's stable which is a start I suppose

Queenbee

Visit site
Fingers crossed it is just bone damage.
Sadly if nerve damage is done it will be a serious problem.
i am a physio and spent some time at oswestry The saying for how to remember what each vertebrae nerve supplies is c3,4,5 keep the diaphragm alive. So if a spinal cord is severed that high up then it will be a major paralysis shoulders down- ie only able to move neck and talk- would likely require a trachyostomy as unable to stimulate cough etc so need a way to prevent chest infections. However you can partially sever or even just damage some nerves which can lead to either loss of sensation or muscle power in different nerve root areas and i treated a rugby player with a c3 partial who could stand but only supported as he couldn't feel his legs but had power in them most bizarre for the patient, however he had very limited use of his hands.
Or fingers crossed that this is jt he could have just broken the bones with no spinal cord damage.
Praying for a good outcome.

Yep, mum was saying similar... But I didn't want to say how scary it sounded:(. Absolutely everything crossed

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I have no idea how they are related but Jp was very lucky. Sadly Jt sounds like his maybe more serious- just read on daily mail that he had to be revived at the race course.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Such an horrendous time for all JT's family/friends/colleagues. It must have been so very difficult for the guys to go out and ride, celebrating winners etc knowing how ill JT was/is.

I just hope he can make a full recovery, but it's hard to be positive given the severity of his injuries.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I understand that today might be the day they give the first post op update on JTs condition, and am waiting with everything crossed that the news is better than we fear. If hopes and prayers count for anything, it really should.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
There was an 'update' last night:
"JT McNamara remains stable in an induced coma in Frenchay Hospital, Bristol,"

"Further scans are planned and another statement will be issued as soon as there is more news."

He had surgery last Friday - broke C3 and C4 in the fall apparently - so keep everything crossed!

Kimage

New User
Visit site
Best wishes for him to make a speedy recovery.
Are C3 and C4 the ones you can break and get away with, in the top of your neck?

Yeah I broke my C3 and C4 falling down the stairs 2 and a half years ago. Unbelievably painful :( hope JT recovers quickly and well xx

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
A well written article, and sadly not good news.

https://gg.com/blogs/gg-com/jt-mcnamara

Yep - it's a nice article - but it's NOT 'news' (good or bad!) There is no doubt JT McNamara's injuries are serious - but at this stage even the doctors treating him won't be sure of the prognosis. Remember back to Nick Skelton's bad fall in 2000 - near fatal - and he was warned by neurosurgeons he could never ride again?? 12 years later he's in our Gold Medal team!

Let's just hope JP follows in Nick's footsteps!

Leaf

Visit site
it was "news" to me that his skull cap was smashed, And not good news. I'm not speculating on his condition or future. I am the wife of a jump jockey and have learnt not to think "what if"

amage

Visit site

claracanter

Visit site

Alec Swan

Visit site
Yep - it's a nice article - but it's NOT 'news' (good or bad!) There is no doubt JT McNamara's injuries are serious - but at this stage even the doctors treating him won't be sure of the prognosis. Remember back to Nick Skelton's bad fall in 2000 - near fatal - and he was warned by neurosurgeons he could never ride again?? 12 years later he's in our Gold Medal team!

Let's just hope JP follows in Nick's footsteps!

Another excellent post.

Speculation will help no one. We need to be patient. We need to sit and wait. It's difficult, but that's the way that it is.

Godspeed JT, you will mend yourself.

Alec.

Leaf

Visit site
Another excellent post.

Speculation will help no one. We need to be patient. We need to sit and wait. It's difficult, but that's the way that it is.

Godspeed JT, you will mend yourself.

Alec.

Please read my posts, and you will see that I was not speculating x

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I too didn't realise it was a head injury from following horse which has been big impact.
I hope that while JT is having a sleep his body is doing all it can to repair as it should be.

gadetra

Visit site
Jesus I hope to God he's ok. And he can walk again.
have there been anymore updates since? Does anyone know how the op went?
What kind of damage was gone?
God help him and his family.

Fintan

Visit site
Yes we all hope that he will recover and others as well.

Can somebody here answer me a question?

What is the back up for Jockey`s in cases like this? I mean most of them there not millionares and neither is the family.

There is this thing like the injured jockeys found, but this seems to be not very effective.
If i follow this http://www.injuredjockeys.co.uk/

It is nice but if I divide the 17 millions trough 1000 injured jockeys, it is well only nice, but not a very serious help.

These foundations, how efficient are they? Do they use more money for administration than for the real help?

What would be the best way to support the jockeys?

Nicnac

Visit site
If somebody cannot work and requires care with a high level spinal cord and/or an acquired brain injury following an accident whether a jockey or not, they will be assessed for support to assist their activities of daily living and will be eligible for housing support and benefits. This is not means tested.

The Government therefore picks up the bill.

The IJF is an excellent organisation that gives a huge amount of support to injured jockeys and their families to ensure they get all the help they require and an entitled to, whether administrative, support or financial. They are not there to financially fund all injured jockeys, but to support them as much as they can along with the medical profession to regain as much independence as possible. They also organise and fund holidays and other events.

Wishing JTM all the best for recovery as we, the public, are not aware of extent of damage so hope it's minimal.

Last edited:

Replay

Visit site
This from Cornelius Lysaght: Jockey JT McNamara still in 'stable' condition; doctors say 'sedation reduced'. Added: 'vertebral damage is serious, no brain injury.'