Judge Rinder - horses and pigs

tiga71

Visit site
On the South Downs Way they opened a free range pig farm on both sides of the bridleway. There are about 400 pigs in various stages, from sows and boars mating, pregnant sows, sows with piglets and weanlings, on either side of a bridleway about 8 metres wide. They are separated by a couple of lines of electric fencing.

First time I went exploring that way on my own we found them. My horse, Izzy, wasn't bothered until we saw a boar mounting a sow. There was a lot of grunting and squealing and I couldn't move Izzy for about 10 minutes. He was transfixed. Not sure whether he was envious, curious or clueless. He definitely wasn't scared though. Just watching, while I giggled and tried to get him moving.

We have more of a problem if out with company as they all try to get the others to go first. If I am on my own, he wanders through without a problem. Think the weanlings are the most troubling as they are curious and run towards you.

My friend organises an endurance ride round there and she always has to divert to avoid it as we know we would have no end of trouble with a load of Arabs going through there!

Visit site
None of ours have ever bothered with the pet pigs we have had over the years. But they were natives. I doubt Jeff would mind them but i suspect Gray would make a massive song and dance about it for weeks before deciding that they were his best friends! He did the same with the shetlands when i brought him home from work - danced, pranced and snorts his way down the drive. Now he loves them, especially the ginger who re.

turnbuckle

Visit site
It used to be an offence to transport horses and pigs within the same vehicle. Not sure if this still stands but quite likely due to the effect it has on some equines. My nearest neighbour keeps a few Mangalitsas (look like sheep x pigs!) They have a warning notice to riders on the bridlepath about them.

What decent people putting up a notice. They're wonderful pigs those, everyone should have some. And they make VERY good sausages and salami!

Fiona

Visit site
None of our horses have ever had a problem, but I remember a livery at a yard we were at years ago refusing to go on a particular hack because it passed a pig farm.

Fiona

paddy555

Visit site
that is terrible and inspired at the same time :D

I have found that of ours the heavier ones are terrified ie secd D, cob type and haflinger. The lighter ones ie arabs love them. In fact one of my arabs adored them so much he had to be dragged away. Our neighbours pigs kept escaping. Massive big white ones onto the road. There was no stopping him from riding up and licking them. When they had piglets he was in ecstasy. So we got them a small pot bellied pig. They all loved him until the haflinger arrived. After 3 years the pig died and the haffie breathed a sigh of relief. He never went near him and never ever improved. He is still terrified of them.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
We do an endurance ride past a big pig unit. The horses don't really like them but I didn't have a problem getting any of mine past. It's the smell and the noise they don't like. The dealer I got my horse from however told me he took one back and swapped it as while it was perfect in every other respect, it wouldn't go past the local pig farm which was imperative for any hacking.

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
My mare is always on high alert when we pass the pig farm. Sometimes I can hear/smell them but not normally but she always reacts.

My friend had a bad experience a few years ago when she encountered a stray pig under a motorway bridge of all places! Horse really didn't like it and they returned to the yard at speed :eek:

maree t

Visit site
I have some wild boar crosses which are pets , most of the horses and ponies I have had here get used to them and learn to ignore them . However one new forest loves them and will give them a good back scratch . I hope your horses are recovering Shell on a beach .
the pigs have never been loose with my horses or ponies so no idea how they would react to that

Doris68

Visit site
I posted on here a few years ago, after neighbour in field had placed several pigs! My mare (probably then aged around 20+) was distraught and couldn't and wouldn't go down the field. It took her a few days, but eventually she plucked up courage and "did it". She was reasonably OK, but still had her moments with said pigs! Also had a horse, light years ago, who was totally terrified of donkeys...he only had to hear one bray and, he either stood like a statue, or p****d off. Above mare wasn't that keen on donkeys either. I should add that she was Irish and should've been used to both!!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Pannage season can be entertaining here. I remember coming back from a ride and there were 8 or so piglets running back home for dinner. Benji threw some spectacular shapes, high blowing, snorting etc and for weeks after was on high alert. He's ok to a point with them but try to avoid them if I can.

millikins

Visit site
I was told it goes back to the days of wild boar as they were a natural predator to the horse.

But pigs aren't, and never have been predatory. It would make far more sense if horses were terrified of dogs which are genetically almost identical to their wolf ancestors. None of my four are unduly bothered, the old pony mare was transfixed by some piglets we passed out hacking.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Nugz is fine, or has been in the past but I made a point of taking him out with our old mare who never had a problem with pigs.

He did however inherit the fear of donkeys and chicken eyes sheep when he clocks them.