Judges Funny Comments

Fjord

Visit site
My first ever mini showjumping with my very nappy little mare resulted in lots of poles down and a fair few refusals. The judge stopped counting the faults, didn't eliminate me and said 'well done for getting round!'. We've also had some interesting dressage comments, such as 'well done for persevering' and 'pony MUST learn to listen more!' after said pony screamed her way round the test. Plus a very polite 'misunderstanding over x' after she jumped in the air and waved her legs about for no apparent reason. ��

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Did a novice ridden class came last judge said your horse went the best but his too good to be doing a novice class, I replied I used it as a warm up class as with him being an Arab there was no other class I could do, she replied why didn't you do the part bred class ! I replied his a pure bred Arab to which I got no reply

EllenJay

Visit site
During a prelim dressage test, I happily entered at A, bolted down the centre line, jumped the white boards, galloped around the area, re-entered at A, and then completed the test.

Judges comment were"I don't feel you were totally in control"

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Years ago my son took old cob into a Pony Club Pony class at a local show. The ponies were apparently rated on whether they would be an appropriate ride for the judge's 11 year old niece. Her only comment was that old cob was ENTIRELY unsuitable. To be fair he was quite 'challenging':eek:

tractorgirl

Visit site
On a whizzy pony when I was about 12 at PC interbranch ODE.... "dressage tests are not against the clock"

Also "horse not required to salute!" when horse took advantage and rubbed his nose on his front leg at X, effectively bowing to the judge

Surbie

Visit site
Apologies that this isn't from this year nor from a test I have ridden. My horse did brilliantly at the first dressage event he went to. At the second he took against something and bogged off over the boards and back to the trailer. The judge's comment apparently was 'test was going well until he left the arena at speed.'

jojo5

Visit site
After my boy had variously refused to move in the go-round for our show cob class , then shot round and overtaken several ( later realised my friend had over tightened the curb chain and he was protesting), the elderly judge asked how old he was. ‘10’ I replied. ‘and you won’t live to be 11 now, will you!!’ He said, and then apologised for having to place us last.

Bayracer

Visit site
“Lovely young horse, will do well as he grows and matures” he was 30 years old at the time and was his last show before he retired...:D

Carrottom

Visit site
"I think you're very brave."
I took my ex racer to his first show. There was no ROR class so we went in the Riding Horse class. He was a bit strong in the canter go round but we kept in control. Our individual show was okay and we came last. I was quite happy as the competition were all nice horses who gave pleasing shows.
So I wanted to get some more ring experience and the only other class was Ridden hunter, same judge who was not dressed to ride, so I entered. Horse was very forward in the go round so I only allowed a slight quickening of pace when indicated by the steward but it did take half of the arena to pull up. Then our individual show, well the judge wanted to see a gallop and there was a nice uphill long side so I decided to go for it. We came last again but I think it was the speed of that gallop that prompted her comment.

sasquatch

Visit site
The last dressage test I did with B, I was actually looking forward too. He'd been going really, really well in his schooling and we'd placed in the league so far so just needed to place that day to win something.

Well, B being B, warmed up nicely and wasn't too fizzy (I should have suspected then something would go wrong) and in we went. Our test was in B's 'scary' side of the arena, but that was something we could deal with as it presented itself because he seemed to be feeling fairly calm and confident. In we walked, over to the car to give our name. B is completely fine with cars, he's used to me dragging him over to my car to usually hoke around and find something I've forgotten before I ride. We halted, and the scribe put the window down to take my name. B, who usually does not care about cars, shot about 4 foot into the air whilst spinning 180 degrees and teleporting to the other side of the arena. I went from being sat on a horse to being in a heap on the ground right next to the car with judge and scribe. B was caught, and someone helped me remount (I was covered in sand at this point) however the leg up they gave me wasn't high enough and I got stuck half the way so B also had a big sandy boot print on his bum.

Luckily, I did not have to go and give my name again as the scribe knew me and B (and was also unable to stop laughing, for the exact same reason) because from this point onwards the car was a sworn enemy. Only that car, not any other cars. We started our test, and B made it very clear he had taken out a 10ft restraining order from the car.

Naturally, this was the test with the circle right in front of the judge. So we did an oval instead. B spent most of the test counter bent because of the scary side of the arena, and because of the car.

The comments on our sheet read 'Very determined rider' and 'well done given circumstances' and we somehow came 6th (I think the judge felt sorry for me, lol) and the judge spoke to me after the class was over to ask if I was okay and we had a chat whilst eating lunch - I think he thought B was quite young, and didn't want to tell him he was actually 16.

sasquatch

Visit site
Another one we got was the one time we tried in-hand showing, B behaved foot perfect in the M&M and judge's comment was that he just needed a bit more forward and a bit more activity in his trot as he looked a bit shuffly/not too expressive. I did explain he had a minor soundness issue which may have contributed and thanked the judge.

He then did veteran in-hand with the same judge. The comment was along the lines of 'well, he looks very sound'. B most definitely did not lack expression or activity in the veteran class :D

horsemadelsie

Visit site
These are brilliant :)
At my first dressage show I got the comments "loss of control" and "error of course" for the (normally lazy horse) bolting across the diagonal (supposed to be in working trot!) and jumping out the ring!
One not very nice judge told me I couldn't get placed in a SHOW hunter class, because I didn't take my horse hunting (horse has previously hunted, I haven't) His hunting buddies all got placed- the horse that won spent most of the time in the ring bucking.
First youngstock class I took my welsh to he behaved impeccably and was placed, second year I tried it he was rather wound up. It was a bit embarrassing- I told the steward that I'd like to keep trying because he was bound to calm down eventually, but that if he was being too much, they could give me a nod and I'd leave the ring. The judge asked if she could put him last because she was scared to approach him! Hahaha! I can't say I blame her, he was being a devil, but I survived and I was leading him :p

Lammy

Visit site
When I took my then 2 year old to his first show we amazingly came 3rd...thankfully he did most of his acrobatics behind the judges back. The judge said to me "he moves beautifully when he decides to keep all 4 feet on the ground. He's a bit of a naughty one!" It was very embarrassing but still proud of him to beat a lot of lovely 3 and 4 year olds :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
When mine stopped and drank from a puddle in the free walk on a long rein the judge wound down her window and said 'I really don't know how to score that!'.

Visit site
When I asked if it was worth persisting in showing a Shetland in coloured classes the judge said she found they got lost in amongst the cobs and didn't move as well as them.

That's one to strike off of the list!

pixie27

Visit site
"Poor stamp of a Connemara" - lucky as he was a New Forest

"3 - slightly reactive to leg. Well sat" - put leg on into canter and horse went into full rodeo performance. Got an 8 for rider collectives and won our section so she must've felt sorry for us (me).

KautoStar1

Visit site
In- hand hunter (horse) class at local riding club show, just took new young horse out for a bit of ring experience. Placed last behind a variety of ‘shapes and sizes’, the winner being a 14h show pony, to be told horse not really a “hunter type”.

Horse is a pure bred ID and has since gone onto a very successful show career in breed and hunter classes.

Go figure

Snowfilly

Visit site
Last week at an in hand veterans class. Judge didn't place my Clyde or a lady's shire mare, but placed the rest of the class down to 10th when rosettes stopped at 6th. Came over and said to us 'well, I cant really place you two as your horses don't look comfortable to ride and they aren't very light on their feet!'

Turned out he breeds show ponies...

Mule

Visit site
I asked a just if it was worth persisting showing a Shetland in coloured classes. The response - I can't say yes and j can't say no but they don't move as well as the cobs and they get lost in amongst them...

Ok then! I'll not bother with that judge again 😂😂😂

I love that:D

Mule

Visit site
Mine was pretty bad, judges comment at bottom of dressage test sheet was 'have you tried reading a book about dressage?' and 'have you ever done this before?' and we had previously competed at elementary regionals! Was just a bad day hahaha.

Ooh that was harsh

tatty_v

Visit site
I once got "what a pity your pony was so inattentive to your aids today!" which was a polite way of putting it! As he's called Spook, we also get lots of comments about his name - luckily 90% of he time he doesn't live up to it, albeit that seems to disappoint some judges!