Judging 'fun' classes - prettiest mare, handsomest gelding

claireannejames

Visit site
Hi, advice needed. I am very, very amateur, I've only ever done the odd local showing class over the last 5 years (mainly in hand and ridden veterans) with my mare, but some friends are running a fun show at their yard and have asked me to judge 'prettiest mare' and 'handsomest gelding' and the fancy dress. I was asked last minute at their last show (when it was actually in progress! so I couldn't really refuse) but I really don't want to be stressing about doing it again, although I'd feel really bad if I turned it down and probably would feel awkward then about attending the fun jumping at the little show which I was looking forward to.... I'm really torn about what to do and the fact I've already dithered for 3 days. It might help if someone could give me some guidlines about how these classes should be judged, I really don't have a clue - I know they aren't meant to be serious classes but I would want there to be some element of fairness! Can anyone give me some guidelines? Then I might feel more able to make a decision or make my excuses, one way or the other.....
Thank you!

Cowpony

Visit site
I think the point about these classes is that it's the judge's personal preference. So you don't need to have any criteria beyond which one you think is the prettiest! Showing is always in the eye of the beholder anyway, but in the fun classes you don't need to worry about conformation or blemishes, just pick the one you like best!

claireannejames

Visit site
...yes that's what I'm not sure I'm comfortable with, the fact it's just my opinion of prettiness... I think arab types are prettier than cobs, but how is that fair? Plus everyone's own horse is always the prettiest.... I never enter these classes as I don't really get the point of them... I don't want to be unfair.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
But everyone entering knows that they aren't being judged against any set criteria. A bit like horse/pony judge would most like to take home.

If you don't enjoy it just say no though.

ihatework

Visit site
I agree they would be very tricky classes to judge!

Personally, for me these are kids classes and kids that are on normal ponies who haven’t been preened to within an inch by mummy/daddy/groom

So my higher placings would go to kids on ponies who conduct themselves well and look like they have done their own pony!

eggs

Visit site
I've had to judge at children fun shows and I agree it is a bit of a minefield. I always try to have a little chat with each child about their pony and point out something I like about it. It is a bit of a nightmare having to judge best turned out when it is quite obvious that some ponies and children have been got ready by their very keen mother and others have been done by the child themselves.

At the end of the day it is just your opinion so go with your gut as to what you think is prettiest or handsomest.

Highflinger

Visit site
I think these classes are meant to give the ponies that don't usually shine a chance to win something so if I was judging I would probably choose " interesting looks" and ignore conformation faults, blemishes etc . Cute and shaggy over sleek and perfect! Any fun shows I have been to are very friendly and no one takes things too seriously. After all we all know our own horsey IS the most handsome/beautiful and best!

Cowpony

Visit site
We've all come across judges who don't like chestnuts or TBs or something - this forum is full of posts about the quirkiness of showing. So I wouldn't be worried about picking your personal preference. But as others have said, if you don't want to do it just say no. I'd still do the jumping you wanted to though. Just tell them you'd planned to compete that day.

Wizzkid

Visit site
I entered my 5 year son on a friends pony he loved it! I always thought they were just for children but there were plenty of adults in the class.
I would do it there isn’t any pressure as it’s just a fun class 🙂

Carrottom

Visit site
Maybe you could ease the pressure by asking a friend to help you judge. I got my hubby to help me when I was asked to judge the fun classes and it made it more enjoyable and easier to have someone else to chat to in the ring.

conniegirl

Visit site
personally when I judge these classes, I like to pick the ponies who are unlikely to place in the more "normal" classes, they are for fun and in my oppinion it is important to encourage kids with non descript, generaly hairy and cobby ponies to keep going and that they can get a rosette if they try hard!

Carrottom

Visit site
personally when I judge these classes, I like to pick the ponies who are unlikely to place in the more "normal" classes, they are for fun and in my oppinion it is important to encourage kids with non descript, generaly hairy and cobby ponies to keep going and that they can get a rosette if they try hard!
I agree with this and also if the same children are in each class try to make sure as many as possible get rosettes.

Batgirl

Visit site
I have judged these classes before too and as a few others have said I usually try and pick the child rather than the pony - maybe they are super shy with a shaggy pony or happy as larry with a mongrel. Just go with your instinct!

pansymouse

Visit site
I think your judgement will be accepted much more willingly if you take the time to go down the line and say something nice about every single entrant in the class. In the end it is pretty much down to which horse appeals most to your personal preferences. For me it's mostly about eyes - if a horse has a kind eye it's always going to win over a flashy one with a cold eye.

stormox

Visit site
My advice would be to avoid if you can. You cannot please everyone, and whatever you do you will have one happy person and a load of unhappy ones!! I was nearly slaughtered by 8 irate parents after judging a kids leading rein jumping class where no one went clear - handlers were knocking jumps, several were eliminated for refusals (though I let them carry on and finish) some went the wrong way - there was a lovely rosette for the winner, I gave it to one tiny kid who had done a fabulous round only to get jumped off her pony at the last fence and get back up by herself and finish.
Bad move I was lucky to escape with my life. Never again!!!!

Teajack

Visit site
i would certainly avoid any children's fancy dress unless you have a handy escape route from the parents - i speak from experience ...