Julius K-9 harness views?

The Trooper

Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm looking to treat HRH Princess Mahra to a new harness. I really like the look of the Julius K-9 ones and the fact they have interchangeable labels is a fun novelty as well.

What is everyone's view on them?
If you don't like them why? And do you use an alternative?

She's not really a puller and to be honest spends very little time on the lead at all but doesn't wear a collar (I have my own personal reasons for this) so i'd like to get a tag for her as she is up at the yard with us quite abit.

paddy555

Visit site
I like the K9's because my dog loves his and moves well in it. Possibly the shape of the dog is important for which harness they fit well into.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I loathe them for the same reason as satinbaze, they put a thick restrictive strap across the most actively moving part of the dog. I see a lot of poorly fitted ones where the 'saddle' area lifts up as soon as any tension goes on the lead and the strap rides up into the neck as well.

I like Julius K9 kit generally and have several of their leads and collars but the design of the harness gives me the rage...! Much rather a Y-shaped or collared harness that leaves the shoulders and ribcage free.

npage123

Visit site
I love my Julius K9 and even with my Staffie's big shoudler built, it fits him comfortably. Doesn't rub anywhere as it moves plenty enough as each leg takes a step forward. I have to be honest though that if he was a built for speed and not strength, and if he was still young, then the front strap would probably have caused problems for him too. But being an oldie who prefers to mostly walk, sniff and mark everywhere, apart from the odd little collected canter, it's perfect for him. I couldn't be without the handle at the top either as it makes lifting him in and out of the car so much easier. He weights around 26kg and I've got major back probs - not a great combination. I've never bothered to replaced the original 'Julius K9' labels but they are nice and fluorescent at night.

Moobli

Visit site
I have a Julius K9 for my GSD and it fits him fine and he seems perfectly comfortable in it, although I know they are seen as restrictive when compared to some Y shaped harnesses. My dog hardly wears it though so I might look at a different design if he were in it a lot. Police Scotland now issue the JuliusK9 as standard kit for dog handlers. The Perfect Fit harness is very popular among pet owners from what I have read and they do look good.

pippixox

Visit site
I personally like them. Have them on a collie and a lab. Useful as I like the reflective strips and I add lights to them easily in the winter (collar lights are useless with long haired collie!) for when mooching around the yard or fields in the dark off lead or on lead pavements at night. I used to have one on a reactive GSD and the handle came in handy! Been in washing machine a lot and very robust (not sure they are meant to) and so easy to pop leads on and off huge ring even with thick gloves on

However, they do now have seperate running harnesses

missmatch

Visit site
I have one on each of my Rottie’s and I’ve had no problem. Followed the video instructions to fit them and I check the fit regularly. Dogs are happy, no restriction in movement, they’re still loons! Plus the handle is a Godsend if I need to grab them quickly. They’re not aggressive but people assume they are. I also have their poo bags in a dispenser clipped to the harness so we never forget them.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I only really use harnesses for pulling me uphill and drive work, but neither really need it.

I have an Ezydog. If it's just something to hang a tag on I wouldn't splash out.

planete

Visit site
I have just bought my lot Halti Premium harnesses for walking. Every strap is adjustable and they are light and not restrictive. My pointy dogs with a narrow but deep chest and a long stride seem much happier in this type of harness. I tried a Julius K9 on Dylan once and it was obvious the proportions were all wrong on him, I did not even try using it, I just sent it back.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
As others have said, the standard K9s are very restrictive across the chest, not ideal for many breeds of dog. I have never used a harness on my GSDs but they certainly aren't very good for the extended forward reach movement of a GSD. I have however seen that they have brought out a new style of harness which is more Y shaped, so that might be better.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I've used a variety-ruffwear rip-off ones firstly but Fitz backed out of one once when he got a fright so we are using a Hunter type one for normal walks which does have a strap in front but not in the sort of style thats as restrictive as the K9 but diffcult to back out of. I might try the Halti Premium for him though now having seen it. For running he has a non-stop free motion but thats probably overkill for him-it was Quarries. Quarrie has a non-stop half (which wouldn't suit Fitz as the middle strap is too wide) for just about everything (he walks to heel in it) these days, not used the ruffwear type one for months.

I didn't much care for the perfect fit, I had one for each of them, maybe they are better for smaller dogs.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
For alternatives, in terms of walking harnesses I have used Manmat short harnesses (same ones for 9 years now!)

Also rate the Non Stop half now they’ve fixed the issue with the D ring and the Zero DC short.

Perfect Fit come up too short in the body IMO and sit in the armpits.

BBP

Visit site
For alternatives, in terms of walking harnesses I have used Manmat short harnesses (same ones for 9 years now!)

Also rate the Non Stop half now they’ve fixed the issue with the D ring and the Zero DC short.

Perfect Fit come up too short in the body IMO and sit in the armpits.

All depends on the dog, perfect fit works well on my small collie whereas Ruffwear were far too broad between the front legs, dog just hated it.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
idc-powerharness

I think this may be what you mean. The original one goes horizontal around the chest and the idc has the chest strap sort of lowered and at an angle. I use the idc on my GSD.

It's the idc- long walk, they are promoting it on their facebook page. More y shaped than the power harness I think from the photos.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I bought a K-9 for my GSD x purely because on the handle. If she gets strong I can grab the handle rather than her collar. I walk her on a half-check collar (the harness is on but redundant normally)and in moments of excitement (she’s nine months) I can grab the handle. I also use it with a seatbelt attachment to restrain her in the car. They are robust, the plastic clips are thick but are already bending out of shape. The fit is not brilliant. The chest strap fits too low & impinges on her shoulder movement.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I bought one hoping to find something my hound would be less able to escape from. Big mistake, it was useless in that respect. The lady in the shop fitted it for me and it looked right although I did wonder if the front would rub. Didn't stay on long enough to find out.

rara007

Visit site
For walking I like perfect fit. The zero DC short also works for my spaniel but that’s his pulling harness. Our collie it’s the wrong length for as she’s a little roach backed.