Jump/dressage saddles for short riders

kez1001

Visit site
My jump saddle doesn't fit horse anymore. So it's time for some saddle shopping!

Saddle fitter has suggested looking at ideal impala but I find mixed reviews about people saying these suit tall riders and some saying they suit smaller riders. Any experience?

I like the look of the ideal patriot and have ridden in one before and liked it. Also ridden in Black Country saddle and hors quite liked that but it was a 17.5 seat and I really struggled as felt I was swimming in it! Looking for something that will help my jumping position as feel current one hinders it.

I think I would prefer a monoflap but open to suggestions. Would love a butet but not got budget for one at moment!

Horse is seven this year so hoping this would be the saddle that could last us a few years as previous six have lasted nine months max!

Tea and toast on offer

tinap

Visit site
No experience of the ones you've mentioned but the daughter has just got a John Whitaker Hunter saddle. I'm usually not a fan of Whitaker stuff but she says it is super comfy especially when jumping. She is only 5' & about 7 stone, the saddle is a 17' on a 15.3hh kwpn x tb xx

Jane_Lou

Visit site
K is little and slight but is long hip to knee - we got an Ideal Impala, not the monoflap version though and she loves it! She seems to swim in Monoflaps in general, we tried a Albion Kontact Lite and a Black Country but they just don't seem to work for shorter riders.

For dressage saddles, we previously had an Albion SL with a short flap which was perfect but it didn't fit the new horse so I made the mistake of getting an ideal Suzannah which is just too wide in the twist for her. It's now been sold and will be replaced by either an Ideal Roella or possibly a Barnsby which are also narrower in the twist and seem to be just about all the fits the mare and the rider!

kez1001

Visit site
No experience of the ones you've mentioned but the daughter has just got a John Whitaker Hunter saddle. I'm usually not a fan of Whitaker stuff but she says it is super comfy especially when jumping. She is only 5' & about 7 stone, the saddle is a 17' on a 15.3hh kwpn x tb xx

I never even knew Whitaker made saddles I will have a look thanks.

IncaCola

Visit site
I am petite and event and i love my Equipe Monoflap 17". Not sure if it is the expression or synergy they are both quite similar. Definitely dont swim in it and feel very secure both sj and cross country. Got mine off ebay for £700, i think they are about £1400 new.

kez1001

Visit site
K is little and slight but is long hip to knee - we got an Ideal Impala, not the monoflap version though and she loves it! She seems to swim in Monoflaps in general, we tried a Albion Kontact Lite and a Black Country but they just don't seem to work for shorter riders.

For dressage saddles, we previously had an Albion SL with a short flap which was perfect but it didn't fit the new horse so I made the mistake of getting an ideal Suzannah which is just too wide in the twist for her. It's now been sold and will be replaced by either an Ideal Roella or possibly a Barnsby which are also narrower in the twist and seem to be just about all the fits the mare and the rider!

I've heard good things about ideal roella for small jockey so will ask if any chance of trying one. I've ridden in an Albion and it was just not right at all for me. Is there much difference between the mono and double flap impala?

kez1001

Visit site
I am petite and event and i love my Equipe Monoflap 17". Not sure if it is the expression or synergy they are both quite similar. Definitely dont swim in it and feel very secure both sj and cross country. Got mine off ebay for £700, i think they are about £1400 new.

Wow you got a bargain there. What type of horse do you ride? I looked at equipe website and couldn't work out if its similar to butet in that they have their own fitters? Just curious as to whether they would come up to Scotland?or whether the saddles can be purchased through local saddler?

kez1001

Visit site
Will be watching this thread with interest as I'm in the same boat!

Lol I was just going to post on your thread! I've had a bates momentum too but doesn't fit current horse and tbh it was never best fit for me but fitted late mare where nothing else would!

kez1001

Visit site

IncaCola

Visit site
I think Equipe are actually made by Amerigo and the uk distributor is Zebra products. They have a web site and there is no reason that some local saddlers might fit them. I have the medium fit for a 15.3hh Belgium warmblood but I use it on other horses too and it does fit most types reasonably. generally do use it with a sheepskin pad as otherwise sits a bit low on withers

kez1001

Visit site
I think Equipe are actually made by Amerigo and the uk distributor is Zebra products. They have a web site and there is no reason that some local saddlers might fit them. I have the medium fit for a 15.3hh Belgium warmblood but I use it on other horses too and it does fit most types reasonably. generally do use it with a sheepskin pad as otherwise sits a bit low on withers

Thanks for that. There are a few websites selling them. I will have a nosy at the zebra products page. My horse is a 16hh tb with moderate withers not really shark fin but would need to check clearance as that's part of problem with current saddle. It's too low on the withers as tree points are not long enough.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Hey I'm mega short legged as well- and love my Equipe Synergy and I find a lot of jump saddles very difficult to sit on because of my short legs, but the Synergy is fab..
I'm trying to track down a second hand Equipe Emporio dressage saddle to buy as well.
I found that my equipe jump saddle just fits most horses really well. And they all go so well in it!!

Chocy

Visit site
R u buying new or 2nd hand?
If new would suggest going for company who can make to ure specification.
I'm also a tiny 5'0 & struggle to get my leg on horses side with some jump saddles- had k2 was ok but cudn't flatwork in it & then a patriot hated it- both were badly fitted 2 horse as well which didn't help
Now got on order black country richochet (should arrive wed week!!) & then can pretty much build saddle round u- diff flap lengths, block position & size can b altered so can fit tinys really well! Altho saying all that mine is 'standard' flaps etc cos felt fine in that

kez1001

Visit site
Hey I'm mega short legged as well- and love my Equipe Synergy and I find a lot of jump saddles very difficult to sit on because of my short legs, but the Synergy is fab..
I'm trying to track down a second hand Equipe Emporio dressage saddle to buy as well.
I found that my equipe jump saddle just fits most horses really well. And they all go so well in it!!

I will definitely look into equipe saddles as they seem to get a good review from lots of different people. Did you buy yours new? Who fitted yours?

kez1001

Visit site
R u buying new or 2nd hand?
If new would suggest going for company who can make to ure specification.
I'm also a tiny 5'0 & struggle to get my leg on horses side with some jump saddles- had k2 was ok but cudn't flatwork in it & then a patriot hated it- both were badly fitted 2 horse as well which didn't help
Now got on order black country richochet (should arrive wed week!!) & then can pretty much build saddle round u- diff flap lengths, block position & size can b altered so can fit tinys really well! Altho saying all that mine is 'standard' flaps etc cos felt fine in that

Probably the jump saddle will be new and dressage second hand so u can afford both. But if I get a jump saddle I can school well enough in might hold out for a new dressage too. I will have a look at that Black Country one too. Was it a local fitter you used?

little_flea

Visit site
I have Pessoa Rodrigo jumping saddle, I believe these were designed for *ahem* young riders - I have short legs and am 5'3 and it fits me really well - this pic should show you roughly - mare is 16'3hh.:

I think I paid around £700 for mine but it was nearly new, you can get them second hand for that and slightly under, so really good value. i want a Butet but can't afford it!

Chocy

Visit site
Yes it was local fitter i've used. Shes based in ayrshire but am sure she travels about quite a bit

sare_bear

Visit site
I have an Amerigo pinerolo monoflap (second hand) and love it. Also loved the Equipe synergy, but my horse preferred the Amerigo. Found the Excelle and Impala Pro were too wide in the twist / stirrup bars set back too much for me. I am 5'5. My saddler had the Equipe range to try.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
I bought mine for £750 second hand- in super condition , found it on preloved. As I had already tried out a friends equipe to see if it fitted, ( it honestly seems to fit most horses incredibly well) so I never got a fitter out. My mare is incredibly fussy and she'd have me on the floor if it wasn't 100% comfortable , she's always loved it.

kez1001

Visit site
I have Pessoa Rodrigo jumping saddle, I believe these were designed for *ahem* young riders - I have short legs and am 5'3 and it fits me really well - this pic should show you roughly - mare is 16'3hh.:

I think I paid around £700 for mine but it was nearly new, you can get them second hand for that and slightly under, so really good value. i want a Butet but can't afford it!

Aw loving your horse! Pessoa added to list to look into thanks. I'm going to have to ask round a few saddlers to see who stocks all these saddles or at least has some second hand ones to try :)

kez1001

Visit site
I have an Amerigo pinerolo monoflap (second hand) and love it. Also loved the Equipe synergy, but my horse preferred the Amerigo. Found the Excelle and Impala Pro were too wide in the twist / stirrup bars set back too much for me. I am 5'5. My saddler had the Equipe range to try.

Interesting you found the ideal wide in twist. I've heard someone else say this too. I've got no hips so don't cope with wide twist very well. Amerigo are lovely but perhaps out of my price range. Unless I win lotto tonight :D mind you then I might just have to buy my butet!

kez1001

Visit site
I bought mine for £750 second hand- in super condition , found it on preloved. As I had already tried out a friends equipe to see if it fitted, ( it honestly seems to fit most horses incredibly well) so I never got a fitter out. My mare is incredibly fussy and she'd have me on the floor if it wasn't 100% comfortable , she's always loved it.

Thanks for info :) I'm seriously going o give equipe saddles some thought

Chocy

Visit site
It is Shirley Justice I'm using.
Had a nightmare with a diff saddle fitter saying saddles fitted when didn't, horse needed physio 2 sort probs caused my 3 badly fitted saddles.
Shirley bn fab spent lots time with horse, let me try her own horses saddle (& Fairfax girth) & has leant me 1 of her brand new demo saddles just so I cud keep my horse in work.
Looking forward 2 hopefully getting saddle 2day!!

TarrSteps

Visit site
little_flea, I am entertained by you having a Rodrigo. :D They are good little saddles and well done for thinking outside of the box.

Almost all of the saddles people have mentioned are available not only in different sizes, but with flap and block modifications. It's true that many of the cc saddles fit a range of riders because of the way they are blocked but it can make it tricky when you're shopping used, especially if you are particularly short or tall. When you are communicating with sellers try to get all the stamped sizing info off the saddle and it can even be worth an email to the makers - I wrote to Passier about getting my jump saddle modified and they had all its info from the serial number. This does not allow for after market modifications but it's relatively rare for people to alter flaps.

kez1001

Visit site
little_flea, I am entertained by you having a Rodrigo. :D They are good little saddles and well done for thinking outside of the box.

Almost all of the saddles people have mentioned are available not only in different sizes, but with flap and block modifications. It's true that many of the cc saddles fit a range of riders because of the way they are blocked but it can make it tricky when you're shopping used, especially if you are particularly short or tall. When you are communicating with sellers try to get all the stamped sizing info off the saddle and it can even be worth an email to the makers - I wrote to Passier about getting my jump saddle modified and they had all its info from the serial number. This does not allow for after market modifications but it's relatively rare for people to alter flaps.

Thank you I have seen a few saddles listed on eBay with the serial numbers and its good to know that the manufacturers would be able to provide that info as some people don't know what the codes mean which isn't helpful. I will need to try first I think because I'm short and not blessed with lovely long legs or at least normal length ones! But if I try something I like and can't afford at moment the codes and info will certainly help.

kez1001

Visit site
It is Shirley Justice I'm using.
Had a nightmare with a diff saddle fitter saying saddles fitted when didn't, horse needed physio 2 sort probs caused my 3 badly fitted saddles.
Shirley bn fab spent lots time with horse, let me try her own horses saddle (& Fairfax girth) & has leant me 1 of her brand new demo saddles just so I cud keep my horse in work.
Looking forward 2 hopefully getting saddle 2day!!

That's great your getting your new saddle today how exciting. I will take a note of her name and may give her a call. Thanks

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
Glad I found this post as I am also in the same boat!

Pannel has gone on the left hand side of my saddle and will cost £380 to fix! :eek: I only paid £200 for it 2 years ago :D so either way I will have to spend

I love my saddle though, its so comfortable and fits me perfect as I am only a shorty (5ft) and my horse is 16.1, its soooo secure and perfect for the diddy rider, my OH hates it as his knees dont fit in, the knee rolls actually run down his thigh like a dressage saddle :D:p

I'm looking in to Prestige as they are quite neat little saddles and I have always wanted one as they are just gorgeous! Also the JW Junior saddles, ridden in one of those before and they are very nice!

Got the use of a Stubben at the moment and it is hideous! :( I'm completely swamped by it and actually can't even kick my horse as my legs stick off the side so much :D:D

I also have tried a Michael Whitaker saddle too which is very nice, similar to the JW Junior but just not enough knee roll for me, still, a nice saddle and very tidy