Jump Saddle for horse with Large shoulders

Liostro

Visit site
Title says it all really and I expect those of you how have horses with large shoulders have had the same problem!!!
I'm desperately after a jumping saddle that will keep me nice and secure and allow my to ride short without impeding on my horses shoulder movement. He is 15.3hh welsh x tb short/flat backed large shoulders and medium withered!!!!!
Help!!!!!!!!

Copperpot

Visit site
Sounds exactly like my horse! Very short coupled, big shoulders and hardly any wither. I ended up with a Wow after trying loads of saddles.

Javabb94

Visit site
Ideal impala pro

I have one for each horse - one is 15.2hh tb x but quite chunky with huge shoulders and he was so much better in the mono flap his work improved no end. He hated most other saddles we tried!

Mavis007

Visit site
Where abouts are you? I can highly recommend Nathaniel Underwood and his saddles. He says his trees are different as they are U shaped not V shaped so give the shoulders more room to move. Very pleased with my dressage saddle for a big shouldered WB. He is near Chard and does have a several week waiting list to see him normally. He can talk the hind leg off a donkey but really did seem to know his stuff!

Liostro

Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. my chiro recommended ideal saddles The trouble is being in cornwall we have very limited stockists of any brand and getting someone to come out and try a variety of saddle proves to be impossible! They all seem to be set on a certain make. He is currently riden in a bates vsd which is wry straight cut so I cannot jump in it. Desperate to find something more secure in time for the summer.

PorkChop

Visit site
Have a look at the Frank Baines website. I use their jump saddles, and one of my mares has large flat shoulders and he managed to fit a saddle for her. You fill out a template, and speak to them on the phone with a description of your horse.

Thistle

Visit site
Another vote for the Ideal Impala pro. Did the trick for a Sec D X Newfie.

If you buy new they are made to measure, we had the tree modified so the points went slightly curved back to avoid her shoulders.

CAH7

Visit site
Sounds a bit like mine - I currently have an Impala, which I love, but it's a little too small for my long legs, so I've been recommended an Exselle Integra. Good luck!

Liostro

Visit site
Thank you for all the advice people!!! Ideal and albion seem to be the firm favourites! Hoping I can find a local saddler with one of these in stock to try as cant afford to buy new quite yet!

Countrychic

Visit site
We used a bates momentum on a really chunky mare we had who had big shoulder movement. If you're interested I'm selling mine

NeverSayNever

Visit site
Ideal Impala are good i believe but I just got a Black Country Wexford on a Freedom Tree for my Welsh Sec D, it was M2M and we both love it!

cptrayes

Visit site
I second the WOW for a horse with big shoulders and a rider who wants to ride short. The panel fits behind the shoulder and the flap goes foward over the shoulder without impeding the movement. The flaps are supplied with bananas to hold the flap off the shoulder, but on really big shouldered horses this pushes it out, and they can be snipped off. (and sewn back on later if you want them again)

Hope that helps. A Second hand jumping WOW recently went through eBay at under 600.

Luci07

Visit site
Just had a thought. I would email Cremedemonthe about the makes of saddles mentioned. They are a saddler with tremendous experience and if you search, you will see a hugely interesting thread where they showed various saddles they had taken apart. Now what was really frightening was that there were some horrendous example of unsafe saddlery and poor craftmanship on there which were from "names" and using english leather. Albion got a resounding thumbs up (great for me as I seem to have mostly Albions) but there is one make named on this thread which did not. They will not post this publicly but will on a PM. You do need to really try these saddles as well. I loathe Wows as feel they put me miles away from my horse, another friend raves about hers. I can't say my Albion is particularly comfortable for me but I have been spoiled by having made to measure saddles. However, last time round, my saddler, Ellie Martin told me her trees were not right for my horse and that I would need the K2.

Liostro

Visit site
Thank you for that very helpful. It's so hard being in cornwall as not many saddlers local to me.
Lots of people recommend the k2 jump so will try get a saddler out with one!!