Jump saddle-knee or thigh block and why?

Cragrat

Visit site
I am starting to look for a 2nd hand jump saddle for numpty horse.
Because of his numpty tendancies, (and nothing at all to do with my rubbish riding:confused:) I thought it would be a good idea now we are aiming at doing some proper jumping (I.e maybe a BE later in the year- gulp, did I really type that out loud?!) anyway, I thought something a bit more blocky might be a bit more secure, and help reduce the number of airbag canisters to replace!

So, the point of the post, I now realise saddles can either have what I consider a normal knee block of various sizes, or a higher thigh block. I rode today in a friends albion k2 with a thigh block. I think I liked it? Certainly felt different. I can imagine coming down a drop , or sitting a horsey handstand, and jamming my thigh into the block could feel secure, though not actually sure if more secure than a decent knee block. I'm not sure if it could be restrictive though? But then, when would I want to move my thigh??

So which do you prefer - knee or thigh?

thank you!

Ps, Sorry, to make it clear, I am talking about the high thigh blocks in front of your thigh, not the little lower down ones behind your leg.

Last edited:

Baydame

Visit site
The jump saddles I like are kind of a combination of the two. It just has to be the right fit :). I've rode in saddles with knee or thigh blocks in the wrong place for me and there were not comfortable or secure.

Def like having something to brace on for drops or sudden scary patches of grass at full gallop!

lucemoose

Visit site
My jump saddle has a small knee and a small thigh block, I am not restricted but I do have these little wedges to help me out! It was made to measure for a bronker of a pony and I asked for them to be stitched in rather than velcroed in.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
A rear block is really called a calf block, the thigh block the OP is talking about is where the front block is set higher up (and more triangle shaped) to sit above the knee. I prefer this and it gives a longer femur more room. A full knee block, if your leg does move forwards, will push your knee out and away from the horse, a thigh block is more likely to keep the leg under it and not over it. I find it gives a more versatile fit for the rider as well, useful when you're a fitter!

Cragrat

Visit site
That is really useful and informative, makes perfect sense. Thank you SB :)
Thigh block it is then!