Jump training but not competing

Joyous70

Visit site
Anyone on here enjoy training but not so much competing? I really enjoy jumping but the thought of competing somewhere new fills me with dread as I know my mare can be sharp spooky and throw in some pretty dirty stops which is what puts me off. Am I wrong to hang up my competition boots and just go out to training clinics and lessons?

norolim

Visit site
I think definitely do what makes you happy, it's supposed to be fun after all and your horse won't mind :)

Personally I couldn't compete as I just get so nervous in any high pressured, performance based situation like that. It would totally zap the fun out of it for me and just make me feel nauseous!

Kunoichi73

Visit site
Personally I couldn't compete as I just get so nervous in any high pressured, performance based situation like that. It would totally zap the fun out of it for me and just make me feel nauseous!
This is me. I'd have no chance of remembering a course these days.

I'm on the fence about jumping due to being a RS rider. I don't have my own horse, so am at the mercy of RS horses, some of which are great, others not so much. It makes me apprehensive about jumping some times.

Bernster

Visit site
I’m in a funny place at the moment mentally as I do love competing but I’ve not jumped B since I hurt myself falling off earlier this year. I tend to do more training than anything but I do better with a goal and something to aim for, which has historically been a competition, and I get a real sense of achievement competing. But the nerves can be a bit annoying! And the early starts!

Entirely your choice though and there’s a lot of fun to be had with clinics and things.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Anyone on here enjoy training but not so much competing? I really enjoy jumping but the thought of competing somewhere new fills me with dread as I know my mare can be sharp spooky and throw in some pretty dirty stops which is what puts me off. Am I wrong to hang up my competition boots and just go out to training clinics and lessons?
Life's short. Do what you actually get pleasure from, not what other people enjoy or what you think you ought to enjoy. 😁

IrishMilo

Visit site
I much prefer training and going to clinics than shows. I don't find them particularly stressful but I have zero competitive edge which isn't exactly helpful!

nikkimariet

Visit site
Do what you want :) I enjoy jumping but dressage is what Rooni is competitive at so I do jump training and the odd clear round which fulfills my needs without asking too much of him.

Birker2020

Visit site
Bailey was the same as your mare, spooky, would drop her shoulder at a filler she didn't like.

I'd go into the ring terrified, hold my breath literally the whole way round hoping that day I'd not end up on the floor and come out of the ring after my round literally beetroot red and breathless!

Then say to my partner " can't wait to do it again next week". I even had CBT for my competition nerves, but over the years took part in many things out of my comfort zone like a 2DE at Offchurch, 3 x 3DE's at MK, and some finals like Cricklands and tmTrailblazers so it wasn't all bad.

That said we got plenty of placings in the 40+ competitors in each class every week, the show was always well supported. And I got to fulfil my dream of jumping 1.10m even though it was only the second phase and happened twice with the last time ending K.o in an ambulance on a spinal board!

No one can answer your question. For me it was the challenge I enjoyed. I'm very risk adverse in life in general, but I found it very exciting when it went well and I challenged myself to do a little more and go a little higher. And when we got into our stride the partnership against the clock was amazing and I adored it. But for the most part I found it daunting 🥴

Last edited:

Joyous70

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies.

For me its nerves & lack of confidence, we start getting out and about and things have improved massively over time, but then I end up getting ditched! which then knocks my confidence so i start again to build it slowly back up.

What also bothers me is the time and effort to get out to a show/competition, for me to get eliminated through a fall or stops. At least at a clinic I can get back on and carry on, so maybe for now thats what i will continue to do.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
If you like training then carry on!! You don't have to compete!! Just do what makes you happy!!

toppedoff

Visit site
Do what makes you happy! Could set up training goals but at the end of the day you don't even need training goals. Have fun!

dominobrown

Visit site
I know a lot of people who love to go to lessons/ clinics etc but necessarily compete, especially going to those 'adult camps' like the ones run at somerford. More than capable of competing but like the relaxed social aspect and less pressure. Definitely recommend those if you get a chance and you will find a lot of like minded people (because there are loads of people who are like you!)

Jellymoon

Visit site
I love clinics and lessons, and I used to love competing, but these days I just can’t be bothered with all the hanging around for a few minutes in the ring. And the early starts.
However, I do miss getting all dressed up and horse smart, and tack hardly ever gets cleaned these days, which is bad!!!

MissTyc

Visit site
I used to love competing, but haven't been out since Covid and I don't miss it one little bit! - I train for the level of competition I enjoy riding inside my own head but don't bother going on the day to pick up the rosettes ;)

Never say never. Every now and then during a show jumping clinic I think I should really get out again, but then I remember the waiting, the other people, the drive home, and I can't be bothered. Maybe the bug will come back and maybe not. But I love the training and treat myself to big name trainers, etc. After all, it's the riding I like!