Jumping a dressage horse

Jericho

Visit site
Any advice appreciated...
We have been offered a project pony with the view to buying at a later date and was wondering if people have had any experiences with introducing an established dressage horse to jumping successfully. The horse is actually a 14.2hh Connie so should be well able and is 10yrs old. He has competed up to Medium, very responsive and nice chap. He has jumped up to 70cm XC and sj a few years ago (and I get the impression that whilst he has been XC schooling he wasn't that keen on water etc!) but it was not owners thing so he has only popped the odd pole since then and when I tried he seemed more than happy to do that albeit a 60cm cross pole! Ultimately I am looking for an allrounder who can specifically do a nice test but I would like him to jump 90-100cm and be a confident jumper XC.

Anyone else had experience of giving an older horse a different job? Any tips / exercises? I was thinking lots and lots of different experiences - clinics,private lessons, different arenas, low but varied jumps, logs out hacking, through puddles, over banks, ditches, forest rides, beach rides etc? What's the best way to help him build confidence? I am ok jumping but perhaps not the most confident. Would it be worth it to get someone in who is a professional sj to work with him?

eggs

Visit site
All my dressage horses jump regularly and some event too. I think it is really good for them both physically and mentally. Look on the internet for cavaletti for dressage horses videos to give you some ideas of different things you can do whilst keep the fence really low (the horse shouldn't actually jump them). I would also recommend that you get a sympathetic jumping instructor who can help you build your confidence with the pony. In my experience Connies are usually great jumpers.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Change your thinking slightly. This is not a dressage horse, rather it's a horse that has done a fair amount of dressage. That does not exclude from other disciplines. In fact, having a horse that is well balanced and responsive on the flat is perfect for jumping.
Now add in that 90cm - 1.00mtr is not a big course and I really don't see any issue. The horse has jumped before. Needs some experience over different types of fence but that's just schooling.
My OH welsh D retired at advanced medium (BD) but still loves to pop a fence for two.

Sheep

Visit site
I know it's not exactly the same as what you are planning, but nikkimariet here jumps her high level dressage horse (ex racer too!), just for fun and at home and both seem to enjoy it.

ironhorse

Visit site
We did loads of hunt/charity fun rides with a cob I was schooling for someone - a really heavyweight type who initially was a bit unbalanced. You do need a good lead to begin with and check the fences/ground before you jump them as they can be a bit random! But the varied terrain, sights and sounds (these rides are really aimed at people wanting to gallop and jump rather than plods about!) and the opportunity to jump loads of fences did him more good than any amount of jumping in the school.

Crackerz

Visit site
I think you are over thinking. It's not like the pony has known nothing else - it's obviously well schooled so should take to regular jumping with ease :)

nikkimariet

Visit site
Mine loves a jump :)

IMG_7986_zpstyrfsngr.jpg

oldie48

Visit site
Agree with all the posts as long as there isn't a reason he's concentrated on dressage. I've got an ex eventer who was competing BE Novice as a 6 yr old but has a bit of an emotional breakdown if he sees a pole on the ground. You only have to look at his BE record to find out why, clearly he didn't enjoy showjumping although he'd zip round the XC course no problem.

Tnavas

Visit site
Change your thinking slightly. This is not a dressage horse, rather it's a horse that has done a fair amount of dressage. That does not exclude from other disciplines. In fact, having a horse that is well balanced and responsive on the flat is perfect for jumping.
Now add in that 90cm - 1.00mtr is not a big course and I really don't see any issue. The horse has jumped before. Needs some experience over different types of fence but that's just schooling.
My OH welsh D retired at advanced medium (BD) but still loves to pop a fence for two.

Totally agree ^^^^ locally we have a horse that is a Grand Prix Show Jumper and also a winning Grand Prix Dressage horse.

j1ffy

Visit site
I think you are over thinking. It's not like the pony has known nothing else - it's obviously well schooled so should take to regular jumping with ease :)

^^ This. I taught my 8yo PRE to jump last year, he'd never seen a pole on the ground before and he's loving jumping now. If the pony has jumped before (and is a Connie!) I don't think you'll have any issues reintroducing it.

Jericho

Visit site
Thought I would give an update on this - the new pony is fab and LOVES jumping - this is them jumping a course of 100/105cm after 5 weeks of having him. He doesn't look at fillers, stays balanced and calm and is as honest as they come. And his flatwork is lovely too. Thanks for all your positive encouragement

Last edited:

mrsh2010

Visit site
My mum's old mare, was an ex Arab endurance racer, then broodmare, we taught her to jump at 15yrs old. She'd never seen a pole before! she loved it

claracanter

Visit site
My boy is 13, I haven't had him a year yet but he did his first BE90 last year after coming from a dressage yard in Germany. He's quite spooky about all the paraphernalia( fence judges cars, banners at the side of SJ arena) but he tries his hardest to jump everything.