Jumping after 3 months off.

Happy Ponies

Visit site
I've got myself booked in for a jumping lesson tomorrow on my newish loan horse (I've been riding him for years in a riding school which has now closed). The only thing is I haven't jumped in 3 months due to the fact that horses have been lame or, in loan horses case, suspended from jumping until he's been out a bit!

So now he's been out but I can't quite forget the fact that the last time I jumped him I almost came off into a wall as somehorse went loopy as he had to circle by a jump he'd previously gone over.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for calming nerves as I really want to get jumping again but am just a bit hesitant!

Equestrienne

Visit site
Hiya,

Firstly explain to the coach about your jumping absence lately. Go in to the lesson knowing that you'll start with a basic warm up exercise, and the coach will take this chance to look critically at where you're at. They will then adjust their lesson to suit your current abilities/nervousness. Their entire job is to make you feel comfortable and help you improve.

I understand the nerves and can't say much to help (as i struggle with them myself) but thinking step-wise about what's going to happen does help me. The horse may be a little fresh and excitable to, so you're unlikely to be doing anything huge in height etc, I would say more calming/turning exercises.

Finally know that every ride is different, yes you had a close call last time but it was just that: last time. This time is different, and you're in the right environment!

Let me know how you get on. :)