Jumping, and change in height of pony!

Visit site
Hi all
I have some questions about jumping really, but here's a bit of background:

I was riding in a group lesson during the week for the last couple of years, but around six months ago, one way or another, people in my group peeled off, leaving me. Some people went into a different group, on a day that I was unable to, and others went on different days or stopped riding altogether.
So I started having half hour private lessons, and for some reason we never jumped (I think it was due to time pressure or something!) so I haven't jumped for about six months!
I recently got a bit more time, and was told i can still move into the other lesson, which is more a difficult group. Also, I have moved on to much larger horses as opposed to the little ponies I used to, due to a growth spurt. I've only ever jumped ponies that can sort out their own striding, and one way or another get over it without too much interference from the rider! I also have the attitude drummed into me that if the horse tries to back off, you 'kick and push them over it, even from a standstill'. I am aware that this is not a good attitude, but instinctively, this is how I respond to a pony backing off!
How does jumping smaller ponies differ from older ones, and what should I try to remember?
What can I do to gain some confidence as well? My lesson is in a few days, so I'm trying to gear up for it! Another question- does anyone have any general jumping tips, particularly about striding or position! My main fault is having my weight too much on the forehand.
I may not be jumping necessarily, but I have been told that is what they mainly do, and I am expecting it after chatting with one of the other riders!
Thank you everyone! :)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
If your riding school is anything like decent then the horses that you are given to ride will know all about the art of jumping and the instructors will not be trying to catch novice riders out with any dodgy striding.

Your best bet would be to address the issues you're worried about, as they happen, with the person teaching you.

Visit site
Ok thank you! I'm just worried and probably over thinking it all! I don't think they'd try to catch me out, I am aware that I haven't done much for a while compared to others who have.
Thank you very much! :)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Your worries are understandable but if you knew all the answers to the questions you've just posed then you wouldn't need the lessons. The instructor is there to teach you, not to catch you out, just do as you're asked & if you have any issues raise them with the instructor.

I suppose the best advice is enjoy your lesson & remember to b r e a t h e! :)

Visit site
Thank you very much! I think breathing is a good bit of advice for me, because I often forget to! Also I tense up and 'forget' that I need to because I have so many other things to think about! Thanks again :)

Spotsrock

Visit site
Sit up, look at the jump well in advance and wait for it to come to you. Some leg is good but try not to hurry over it too much.