jumping dilema

spooks

Visit site
number 2 daughter has taken over the welsh one, shes had her to herself a year now since ash got otto. the trouble is the pony is very strong when in the jumping ring (fine at home most of the time ) she is ridden in a dutch gag on second hole, needed for steering and brakes or meg just goes where she wants and makes her own course up! the trouble is taylor is not good enough with her hands to ride in this bit.. she tends to use her hands to balance herself and stands up rather than go forward with the pony. when she gets it right her position is great but she gets it wrong most of the time . i took them to a show yesterday and after looking at the pics im pondering whether to let her keep jumping the pony it was that bad..
YO has offered to give her some lessons on her pony who will just trot/canter nicely to the jump and pop over it BUT i dont think our pony is right for taylor as she is a typical cheeky welsh and taylor is the nervous type but wants to have a go! the pony is fine for her in all other respects, a bit cheeky in the school but brilliant out hacking. i dont know whether to sell her and buy something more suitable or persevere with the pair of them. i have got on meg and popped her over a 2ft fence and she does pull you into the jump which must scare taylor and regardless of riding the YO pony when she gets back on meg she will have the speed issue to deal with as well. any ideas ?

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Mmmmm tricky one. Have you though about something simple like getting hr a neck strap for self preservarion. Failing that how about advertising for a swap at PC or RC, you might be able to find someone who has a steadier jumper who would like something whizzier until your daughter improves her jumping.

What does Taylor think about it. Can you get her to honestly tell you how she is feeling. Somethimes kids dont like to admit they are feeling scared, particulalry if your other daughter got on well with the pony.

Ravenwood

Visit site
Do you belong to PC or an RC - perhaps going to some rallies or organising a group jumping lesson with the pony which might stimulate the show atmosphere and perhaps the instructor might come up with some ideas to help her. Perhaps a pelham with roundings instead of the fashionable dutch gag.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I would second trying to find out how she really feels about the situation and also expressing your concerns to her in as nonjudgemental way as possible. Instead of making a big deal about whether or not she can/should ride the pony you can just express your concerns and let her know that you understand not everyone gets on with every horse, just like every person you meet is not going to be your best friend. If your concern is safety explain that too, without making it seem her fault for doing something wrong.

But, by the same token, be straight with her that if she wants to keep riding this pony she may have to do some hard work to make it better. If she can't keep on as things are then she has to take some of the responsibility to change the things that aren't working.

Instead of talking about selling the pony - if she's very attached she'll tell you anything to keep you from doing that - explain that you might be able to do a trade as mentioned above. Even if you eventually work your way around to deciding to sell that will give her the opportunity to tell you what she honestly feels without feeling like a bad person.

Could you enlist outside help? Does she work with a trainer at all? If so, what does that person think? If not, could you get her a lesson on her pony with someone you respect and tell the instructor what the situation is and that you would like an assessment? Involve your daughter in the process - she might be more inclined to tell someone other than you her thoughts on the matter!

I know you have the option of lessons on the other pony, which would undoubtably help, but I'm talking about assessing her on the pony in question and maybe seeing if there is some way to make that situation more suitable. Either way it would help her to jump a more easy going pony but it won't necessarily change things completely or fast enough to make a big difference in things with her pony.

spooks

Visit site
some good comments said already ,thanks, taylor is well aware when she gets it wrong and beats herself up over it with the usual 'i cant get my position' rant! it doesnt help that ash has gone from riding moose (who still gives her a run for her money ) to getting otto who was as green as grass and 6 months later affiliating him. taylor really lacks confidence and comes up with every excuse in the book not to do things although she is perfectly capable. i have mentioned about loaning meg out and getting her something more suitable in the meantime but that brings a whole new problem of finding a pony to loan which can stay at our yard. i dont have a problem with meg going to another yard. ash is really not helpful as her suggestion is to put meg in foal !! she did have a few lessons last summer but then winter hit and the menage /field was unusable but i have since moved yards so that isnt a problem. i am going to get her instructor back to give her lessons again , it wouldnt hurt for the pony to be taken right back to basics with grids etc either, might teach her that she doesnt have to charge at jumps!
how much easier on the mouth would a pelham be than the gag when taylor gets it wrong ? she has the neck strap on the martingale which she could grab and has been told to on numerous occasions but she never does, meg also has a mohican that she could grab onto as well (we had to hog her last year as she developed sweetitch and rubbed most of her mane out ) taylor just doesnt seem to be able to grasp the idea of grabbing something as she goes over the fence. she is only jumping 1ft 9 to 2ft which meg loves as she doesnt have to put much effort in !
she has joined pony club this year so that will help to