Jumping exercises

GinaGem

Visit site
Hi, just wondering if anyone can recommend some jumping exercises i can do with my girl tomorrow?

We don't have any probs just wanted to try something different.

The last things we worked on were preparing for long and short strides in a double, bounces, judging ideal take off point, jumping across the diagonal.

Thanks

sea_view

Visit site
Practice jump off turns - that's what I did in my last lesson then went on to win the BN the following weekend with my new shiny moves.
grin.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Simple things to play with :-

Place two canter poles...say 4 horse strides (20 yards) apart and then paractice trying to get 3,4 and 5 strides in between them. A good way to learn about shortenning and lengthenning strides.

Try placing a small fence on a 20m circle and practice cantering around the circle and over the fence. This is good for maintaining your rhythm.

Place a jump in the middle of the school and practice cantering circles, and then figure 8's over it. This is a good way to teach the horse to land on the leg you want, and also good jump off practice as you can vary the angle that you jump the fence on too.

sea_view

Visit site
I was surprised how tight I could actually go to fairl big jumps which I would have been concerned about doing before hand - it's good to have someone on the ground giving you support though!

GinaGem

Visit site
Yeah i'm planning to do it in my lesson, she's always got different exercises but i sometimes like to plan my own

sea_view

Visit site
I did the circle/rhythm one at a recent lesson and it was good - I was surprised at how much your last three strides can hurry until your really made to concentrate on balanced rhythm that that exercise shows you - good one Rambo!

siennamum

Visit site
Smallish circle - approx 15m.
One fence, small to start
placing pole before and after.
pole and fence angled to keep on the circle.
Really tests whether horse is approaching in rhythm and maintains outline. Emphasises the importance of leaving fence correctly as well as approach.

Another good one is to have a pair of poles approx 3 strides from the fence, then after landing halt squarely between the poles. Alternatively use the poles before the fence and see how your perception of having a funnel/guide as to where 3 strides out is, helps you to see a stride.

GinaGem

Visit site
Oh good, my girl is good at sorting herself out if i get it wrong so it may help me get things right if that makes sense!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Rambo - excellent exercises.
smile.gif

Had forgotten about the 20m circle one - will have a go at that tonight.

Would you have a placing pole in front? Seem to remember doing it with poles before jump....was a long time ago tho
smile.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Rambo - excellent exercises.
smile.gif

Had forgotten about the 20m circle one - will have a go at that tonight.

Would you have a placing pole in front? Seem to remember doing it with poles before jump....was a long time ago tho
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do it with or without...it's up to you
smile.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You could put up a double in the arena but don't jump it as a double. Use it like a figure of eight, cut in & jump the second element then turn tight back around the jump you've just jumped & then jump the first element the opposite way. You can do this several times on either rein & you can also jump it as a staright double aswell. This will be good practice for seeing a stride, turning quickly after a jump & jumping off just a couple of strides. Good fun as well
smile.gif

samsaccount

Visit site
The last one i did was two small fences opposit each other on a 20m circle (min) and jumping each one but working on getting the exact amount of strides beween each jump. Was a good exercise