Jumping from walking & counting are miracle cures!!!! :)

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
I had the best jump lesson on Soap ever last night!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Rosie thought that his canter had hugely improved (worked on it for 6 weeks now) and with all my counting (just call me Carol Voderman!) his rhythm is really consistant.
we built up through the lesson to finish over a small course of an upright to a 1 stride double to an oxer. I counted the whole time, and WAITED for the fences to come to us, and not only did he not knock anything down he didn't even touch a single pole!!!!!! this is the 1st time ever he has had a 100% clean lesson
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
and it all felt so easy!!! which is spooky!!!

He jumped like a proper little pro and I am still buzzing about it today
smile.gif
I just need to keep that calm collected feeling for Sunday and not let nerves/excitment make me rush! *slaps wrist*

So pleased with him turns out there IS light at the end of the SJing tunnel
smile.gif
*phew*

Supanova

Visit site
Well done! I bet its a great feeling to have had a really good lesson before your event. Out of interest do you count all the time or just into the fences or between related distances?!

Joss

Visit site
Chloe, I think I love you............

I have been taught to count & it also helps me. However, I had kind of forgotten about this & you reminded me. I practised the other day & BINGO.

The other trick that works for me is looking at a point way ahead & above the jump, rather than at the top rail or similar.

Huges vibes for double clears on Sunday then ??!!

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
I know it's one of those SUPER EFFECTIVE things that is so easily forgotten, I am sooooooo hoping for our 1st double clear but not putting any ridiculous pressure on us, just want the rhythm and a calm consistant round with no flyers!!!! would be chuffed with just 1 or 2 down tbh
smile.gif

I actually asked Rosie about that (looking at the top pole) coz I always try to look past the jump, and kinda see the fence in my downwards periforal vision, but then being a nerd and doing some research I saw a Team Fredricks episode where they put a little stone on the front pole and said you had to look at the stone all the way in. I tried this and had several huge c*ck ups!
frown.gif
so went back to the not directly looking at the fence appraoch which is what Rosie supports. If it ain't broke don't fix it
smile.gif

Supernova - I count all the time even over the fence if poss
smile.gif
infact I've started just randomly counting in my head as I walk along too
crazy.gif
It works better I think when said loudly so the horse can also hear it, but discrete counting quietly to yourself is good too, and when you have it licked you can move on to counting in your head!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
I count to 8 or 10
smile.gif

Joss

Visit site
Supanova, its really NOT counting related distances. You could do singing, chanting, talking. Its more about keeping a rhythm than anything else. You defo dont want to be counting down as in 3,2,1 hup!!

Counting is easier as you dont really have to think about what you are saying & can kind of say the words in a metronome type way!! Singing really didnt work for me as I just used to quicken my song as the horse quickened to the fence. Also the horse having his hoofs over his ears to drown out my off-key singing didnt help much
grin.gif
grin.gif

Supanova

Visit site
Ah I get it now. So its more about making yourself breath and keeping calm and in a rhythm rather than counting strides to and in between fences!

LOL at the horse having hoof over ears! You haven't heard my singing....my horse would buck me off and run a mile if I started!! I did try singing once in a dressage test and lost my way because I was so relaxed!

Joss

Visit site
Just counting but in time with their strides, with the emphasis on keeping the counting regular all the way to the fence. Doing it out loud helps regulate your breathing & helps you to 'allow the fence to come to you'.
It all about rhythm....darling......

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
I count the rhythm of the stride which coinsides with when the leading leg hits the ground, you have to count in time with the pace/make the pace become in time with your counting eg

getting too fast
1 2 3 4 5678

getting too slow

1234 5 6 7 8

perfect
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Does that make sense?... it will make more sense when you ride it and count it out loud

TableDancer

Visit site
As has been said on a previous thread, it doesn't matter whether you use numbers or something else... I go 1,2,1,2,1,2 as I can't be relied on not to get in a muddle if I try to count higher
tongue.gif
1,2,3 is a bit dangerous as it can tempt you to that horrible 1,2,3 GO! shot which you are trying to avoid. Someone said the chanted "Quality Canter" which is a good one, and thistle had another good one, sometihng about tigers
tongue.gif
Like Joss says, it's all about the rhythm
wink.gif

sarah23

Visit site
I can see some jumping session coming on next week. The kids are home from school so it will give them something to do for a while putting up fences for me. Such a Lovely mummy aren't I
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

Cyberchick

Visit site
I love the sound of this counting. I was made to sing Nelly the Elephant!!!! or thinking about it maybe my instructor was just making me look like a pleb?

HairyHatMan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I love the sound of this counting. I was made to sing Nelly the Elephant!!!! or thinking about it maybe my instructor was just making me look like a pleb?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do Nellie too....I blame sw123 for this, but hey, it works! (Well I'll let you know after monday if it works in a competition...)

Gamebird

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do Nellie too....I blame sw123 for this, but hey, it works! (Well I'll let you know after monday if it works in a competition...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I know why you needed to know the words. Makes sense now..... kind of
tongue.gif

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
This is brilliant, thank you all, i am going to try this! My big horse has only just got his canter in the school (without breaking!) even though its still a bit fast, i needed something to time my half halts...brilliant!