Jumping Help Needed

timeandchance

Visit site
Just a quick thing really...and probably something I should know (but I don't).

I have a little local clear round SJ thing coming up on Dec 3rd (it's for charity so I'm not going all out competitive) and I have started to do a little jumping here and there with Charlie...although the ground's been so wet I have to be careful.

Anyway...point of my post is. Charlie is a rusher. He charges for the jumps before I can stop him, and when I do try to stop him he fights me and gets wound up. He's only in a regular snaffle and I loan him so I don't know what the lady I loan him from would think of a different bit (although she might see my point).

Does anyone have any advice on how I can stop the rushing? I can consider changing bits if there's one anyone thinks would help? Any advice is appreciated!

Deefa

Visit site
With my pony i was advised to do LOTS of gridwork as mine is a rusher to.

Maybe do 4/5 canter poles in a row (work up from only a few) then change the middle canter pole into a small fence, so he has to keep his rythum through the poles before reaching the fence and also after it.

sorona

Visit site
Lots of schooling should help. Make sure the jumps are very small and 'boring' so he doesnt get too excited or concerned by them and if you feel him rushing, circle him before you attempt the jump and then sit and wait on the approach. At least if you circle him, you are not actually stopping so he may not fight you. Talk calmly, give quiet encouragement and count yourself into the jump (say 1,2,3, fold or something!). Horses that rush are often excited or concerned so going back to little jumps and schooling around them may help. It would be a shame to go down the route of a bit change before you try everything else. Have you had his back checked, does his saddle sit clear of his shoulders whilst jumping?
Good luck and have fun at the show.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Lots of things you can do.
Firstly do make sure the saddle is not causing a problem as stated in post above.
Rushing in to a fence is often best cured after the fence. I would suggest putting 5 canter poles after the fence (leave one clear stride between fence and first pole). This has 2 effects. 1) The horse backs off slightly on approach as it works out what it has to do on landing. 2) It regulates the canter away from the fence.
Now combine this with halting immediately after the canter poles. The halt must be well ridden without pulling back too much or creating tension in the horse. After doing this a few times you will find the horse starts to anticipate the halt and will come back to you without effort.
If you are then still having problems with rushing in to the fence use a halt 3 strides before the fence. Dont worry, this WILL NOT teach the horse to refuse. Once halted walk quietly past the fence. Again after doing this a few times the horse will start to anticipate the halt and offer it without you asking. At this point you can ask the horse forward over the jump as soon as you feel a response to the halt request on approach, Dont let the horse break gait, you just want a submission to the request. Any time the horse attempts to rush, HALT immediately. Do not allow a rushed jump. Consistency with horses is critical.
This little exercise also has a couple of additional benefits. The quality of the canter on approach will improve as you will have to have the horse between hand and leg on approach to make the halt.
Once you are in the habit of asking for a halt you will ride a check on approach far better. I always tell pupils with a rushing problem to ride a halt rather than a check as a check tends to end up all hand and no leg which hollows the horse making jumping difficult. If you always ride a halt but then allow / push the horse to move forward as soon as you feel the horse submit to the request you will have gained the control you need whilst engaging the hocks more.

All the above should be used in conjunction with normal grid work etc.

emerald2006

Visit site
i know its hard but dont fight him. get his teeth checked and do loads of schooling and gridwork to make him think about thingsa. a friends horse used to do that into showjumps. was fine x country but 3 strides from a show jump would throw his head up and tank off. she used to jump in american gag and now jumps in a snaffle. he also works at elementary and this has helped her a lot as she uses a lot of leg contact and no rein. the less you fight them the quicker they will realise that you are not gooing to grab hold of them.

timeandchance

Visit site
Thank you all for so many comments. I will definately go back to some basic gridwork with him and see how things go...taking all your advice into consideration!

His back and teeth are all ok as have had them checked...it's just something he's always done! Whether it's SJ or XC he rushes...I don't fight him and a lot of the time just let him go into it....he has a fantastic jump as he used to BSJA it's just a shame he rushes them so much.

Canter poles and smaller jumps are on the cards for the next few sessions then....I know it's because he's excited that he does it as he loves to jump!