Jumping help.....

noodle_

Visit site
Am taking baby pony jumping this week.... shes very green but willing and has some (massive) scope when jumping, shes been this particular venue before and is spooky (she always is tho...)

I plan on doing the clear round and a 65cm...

Question is - is it mean/horrible to ask her to trot around the 65cm course??? she gets far too excitable in canter recently (she bronced last time she was so excited....:rolleyes: )

I was her to have a nice experience going out, as well as me.... i will canter her round the course but would love to stay on....

shes 15.1 btw so no pony with massive scope - point and squeeze and it bombs everything....

muddygreymare

Visit site
No of course not, if she is calmer in trot and can manage jumping 65cm from trot, which she should be able to then just trot her round the course, concentrating on keeping her calm and controlled. Good luck :)

noodle_

Visit site
Thanks

i just thought it was mean asking her to trot round the whole course?

everyone says to canter but i feel i have more control over her in trot?

muddygreymare

Visit site
It's not mean, you're teaching her she doesn't have to bomb round a course, and that it is possible to do it calmly. If it were me I'd get her jumping courses in trot, and then once she's learnt not to bomb and to do a nice controlled round in trot, then reintroduce cantering, making sure its controlled and she's not just trying to go 100 miles an hour! :)

sassybebe

Visit site
I would come back to trot on corners but allow her to canter in related distances otherwise you'll confuse her unless you really have no control in which case is she really ready to be competing? It's not mean to trot the course anyway, better to have control and both finish happy and confident :)

cyberhorse

Visit site
No not unfair to primarily do this course in trot. If she wants to canter the last stride prior to take off I would let her and if there is a double or related obviously it is better to maintain the canter (you should find this OK as she is pointing at a fence to back her off). Use the CR as a schooling exercise before the 65cm, do not be afraid to circle if she is not listening and being silly, it is more important to present her the fences in control and on a good consistent rhythm. If she has been good in the CR you can attempt canter in the 65cm anyhow. I would also stress not to continue with this for too long as you don't want her to be backwards thinking in the ring or think it is OK to drop off your leg into trot when she is ready for completing a course in canter

noodle_

Visit site
thanks!

if she behaves in the clear round shes more than welcome to canter!

I do encourage her to go forward - she had ulcers until a month ago (she was very dull) and since treatment - its like a new horse.... and a bombing round one at that!

its nice to know shes happy, and i could do with a little more confidence to sit tight and push.... but we all have to start somewhere i guess!....

she is ready to go out and play - compete - mabey not? but we never will be until i get confident enough to ride away from home... (im very critical and self concious) so i need to man up and get on with it :)