Jumping how high?

mrsk29

Visit site
After our great clear round last week (first time done proper jumping in 15 years!! was so proud lol) Whats the biggest you are happy to jump height wise (not competitions just general riding)?. I felt quite brave just doing the clear round, till I watched some of the showjumping and although I do want to jump higher..I dont know if i can be that brave!!... my horse appears to LOVE it!!

This is us doing the clear round..
showjumping.jpg

So how high do you jump? (or how brave are you??)

rhino

Visit site
After our great clear round last week (first time done proper jumping in 15 years!! was so proud lol)

So how high do you jump? (or how brave are you??)

Well done you, that's great progress :D

How high? Depends on the horse, although I'm better if I only see the jumps from their backs, if I stand next to them I can be a big wimp!

Mostly happy schooling around 1 - 1.10m courses generally, bigger if I know and trust the horse. Biggest ever was 5'6". Bareback. My little ginger horse was a legend though (and I had my eyes shut) :eek: :)

dafthoss

Visit site
Well done :D thats fab, have you got another outing planned?

As above depends on the horse. On mine about 1.05m maybe a bit bigger for an upright if I dont know how big it is. But again I'm better if some one just puts it up and I jump it, if I stand next to it it always looks bigger :rolleyes:. Should add he is only 14.2 :D

Last edited:

mandwhy

Visit site
I am a jumping scaredy cat because my riding school didn't seem to want to teach us jumping when I was young and brave, I think they said we weren't ready or something but we were ready for dressage which of course everyone knows is much easier than jumping because you're just on't ground (?) I'm a bit bitter about that but have bravely popped a few logs of ooh maybe a foot high recently! Going to get going with it when I have my new horse :) 2ft here we come!!

Oldenburg

Visit site
Depends on what horse I have under me!! My old mare I would jump anything up to 1.30!! Sadly I lost her in 2005 and my confidence went with her!! Then I had my boy and we jumped upto 1.05 he was not a jumper lol the horse I have now I've jumped up to 1.15m but he's getting older and I don't won't him to do them heights any longer!! My new horse this remains to be seen what he will get up to ( or won't lol ) One thing I have learnt is you have to be happy with what height you are doing there is no point in forcing your self to do it its meant to be fun!!

Spotsrock

Visit site
I used to be happy at a meter to 1.10. Confidence issues hit and injury to horse. Now we're happier at the 80 cm height but hopefully we'll get back up to comfy at a meter.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Well done on the clear round jumping. Unless u get paid to jump it is meant to be what we do for fun so height shouldn't matter too much!

tinap

Visit site
Well done - the photo is lovely :D

How high? Me - you wouldn't even get me on a horse!!! You lot are far braver than me :D

The daughter, again, depends on the pony. With her old one she had a fear of fences over 90cm. With her now pony, she will happily do a 1.10m course but has also taken a shine to doing puissances & has done a 1.60m on her 14hh - I don't watch though!!! xx

mrsk29

Visit site
We are lucky enough to be able to hack to the jumping which Is once a month, I'd love a go at show jumping, my boy jumps quite High over small jumps quite a lot (the clear round was about 2 ft) but felt huge! I like the idea you can take your time too where as sj is timed.. Maybe after a few clear rounds I might be brave enough..to try..

Shantara

Visit site
Well done you!! I'm happy jumping a course of 2ft 6 jumps, but if it's a single jump, I'll go up to 3-4ft. I did accidently jump 5ft 2 once...but I fell off XD

spookypony

Visit site
The highest I've jumped since getting back into horses has been courses of about 1:00 or 1:05. The last few times they didn't feel big at all, so I'm pretty sure I could be persuaded to jump higher on a confident, competent horse. :)

On the Spooky Pony, however, 60cm is about our limit ATM, as I don't fancy going back to A&E. :eek:

EquiGal92

Visit site
Not the best confident jumper in the world so I like to stay around the 60cm mark, I have jumped bigger but the jumps come with a heart attack so I'm happy to stay at that height or aroundabouts

scarymare

Visit site
Another vote for 60cm :D:D

Used to be happy doing 1.10 as used to event in the days before they had pre-novice. I almost did a 'full up' 70cm on Wednesday but it was two phase and the last fence in Jump off must have been 85cm square. Kicking myself that I just didn't enter and miss it out. I just do it for fun so don't give a monkeys about winning!

Just never got my bottle back after 10 year break and then had a horrible rotational fall SJ at 80cm or suspect I would be 80T by now.

ellie_e

Visit site
I think it all depends on the fence, a big 1.05-1.10 oxer at the end of a grid is very different to jumping a large single 1.10 fence. Very comfortable jumping around a course of 1m, 1.05 though

thinkitwasjune

Visit site
Height doesn't really matter to me anymore. I jump for fun and if I'm wetting myself at the height of the jumps, it's not fun! I used to be happy jumping 1m-1.10 on my old girl but now I seem to have lost my bottle a bit so I usually jump around 70-80cm. It remains to be seen how high my new addition will be able to jump once he and I get our confidence sorted :)

Javabb94

Visit site
Well done on the jumping :)

For me it depends on the horse!

Java generally with me schools at 1m - 1.05 courses but have jumped 1.15 on him but we wouldnt manage a course!

I would quite happily jump anything although it depends on the horse!

D66

Visit site
Haven't jumped higher than 18" recently but in my salad days would happily jump 1m.
Then I went hunting and jumped solid timber upright fence at 5ft:eek::cool::eek: I only had a few seconds to consider it before we jumped and as we were all going flat out gallop I surmised it would be more dangerous to try and pull up.
I went back and measured it as it was next to a bridlepath I used a lot.

FreddiesGal

Visit site
Congrats on your new found confidence! :)

I usually jump courses of 1m-1m10 on my 14.1, sometimes i'll put him over something a bit larger :)

Vanha12

Visit site
I do BE90s so school around a metre - we are comfortable up to 1.10cm but then get the 'wobbles' after that! but compete at 90-95. I think, as others say, it depends on the horse. My mare is very honest and will have a go but is not the most talented jumper and physically lacks enough power from behind - the result is that when we don't have the best shot at a fence it is pretty uncomfortable as she has to haul herself over by her shoulders. My daughter's 14hh pony feels far better over a metre fence as she has a huge a*se and makes it feel effortless. Before I had children and a very long break I was a lot braver!

AbbeyandApache1

Visit site
Jumped around 3ft on my old 13hh cob mare but on my current boy I usually jump around 2ft/2ft3 cos his jumps aren't always the most comfy!! Haha.. He's very enthusiastic and often cat leaps over the fences... ;)

NU ABO

Visit site
I'm going into a 2ft 3 comp later this month. I thought I wanted to challenge myself as i've only previously jumped a course of under 2ft, and it's our first jumping competition :p

We can jump that high, but it's just jumping a course that goes up to that height.
Our plan is to jump as high as we can though, it just a case of getting me more confident :rolleyes:

charliehands

Visit site
The key is to get a big horse and then the jumps don't look as big when your on! ;)

no cause then people expect you to be jumping bigger! I have a 17hh horse and when we jump 3ft people say she's finding it too easy and I should jump bigger on her.. that would be lovely if I had the balls to do it but I dont so 3ft is fine for me :D

Tinsel Town

Visit site
I used to have a lot of confidence jumping with a schoolmistress before she was pts :(

confidence kinda went with her, altho the more I do the less nervous I get, I have competed at 2'6, school over up to 3' and have jumped (single fence) at 3'6.

Spot is 17'2 so does find the 3' easy, and I agree Charliehands, people do expect you to jump bigger when your horse is bigger!

Leo (new horse) is a grade B showjumper, so knows his stuff, we are yet to jump together yet! watch this space! :)

Vanha12

Visit site
Whoops! sorry - I also meant to say 'Congrats' on the clear round! too busy banging on about myself as usual. The more you do, the more you will want to raise them a little; Just jump what you are comfortable with, then every now and then take it a little higher. Best time is at the end of a good lesson I think.

SuperCoblet

Visit site
I think i would jump whatever the horse would be capeable of doing. Ive done a 3'6 course on 13.3hh coblet, 3'10 chase-me-charlie on coblet. Also done a 130cm course on a 15.2.

I think if the horse is up to it, i will be too :)

Well done on your clear round :D

mrsk29

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies... Some of you are very brave lol I used to jump 3ft easily on my little 12.3 pony when I was a kid.. And hurtle round lol but after long break kids, families etc I guess confidence goes too... Am looking forward to my next clear round try :)

MagicMelon

Visit site
To be honest, I think how brave you are jumping very much depends on what horse you're on. Its all about confidence. I never thought I'd jump what I do at competitions but with the right horse who you move up the levels with and trust completely, it is easy to do so. I'm weird though, I will merrily jump much bigger in competition than I would ever do at home - for me the adrenalin from events also helps my bravery ;)