Jumping into water, any magic tips?!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Now things seem to be hopefully on the up with Pepsi, it seems a good time to tackle this particular demon. Since it’s getting to a point where it’s going to stop us progressing/stepping up levels.

He massively overthinks bigger steps/jumps into water, and him repeatedly (3 times) sending me swimming because of it doesn’t help. I wanted to try lunging him in but none of the XC courses I’ve contacted so far allow lunging on course (well one did but they don’t have any bigger steps or jumps into their water)

He is generally good with water now, he will canter in/out, do jumps towards it. Happily fords rivers out hacking and will go well into the sea. Smaller steps are fine, he does these with complete confidence and no hint of hesitation. And it’s not an issue with going off them, he will go, he just goes in about 3 different directions 😅

If he was just trying to jump the width of the water I could probably just about sit it, I’ve had horses do that before. What he does is hard to explain, but he sort of launches himself up and across, while curling his head and shoulders sideways so there’s nothing in front of you. Ends up with a kind of corkscrew effect and me very soggy. This all happens incredibly quickly.

I feel my options are:
1) Keep trying to find somewhere to do it on the lunge, I don’t even know if he’ll do it on the lunge but feel it’s worth trying (any recs in the SW welcome)
2) Keep trying from on top and improve my technique of sitting to it (how? I’m not sure, I can sit most things if I’m prepared but even expecting it this is hard)
3) Try and find someone else to sit on him and try and stay on top (a pro rider will definitely have more chance than amateur hour over here!)

Any options I haven’t thought of?! Or any tips of how to sit the launches welcome 🤦🏼‍♀️

millitiger

Visit site
Lincomb always used to let you lunge- obviously go early/ late to avoid lots of people on the course.
They've been really kind and let me just school water when the course wasn't even open.

Or they have a water splash on their all weather- you could set a small J4J jump on the side so he is jumping in as I imagine will give the same response.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Lincomb always used to let you lunge- obviously go early/ late to avoid lots of people on the course.
They've been really kind and let me just school water when the course wasn't even open.

Or they have a water splash on their all weather- you could set a small J4J jump on the side so he is jumping in as I imagine will give the same response.
Sadly they’re 3hrs away which is a bit too far for just XC schooling :(

We are about 20-25mins outside of Exeter to give an idea of location

whirlwind

Visit site
Southcott let’s you lunge round but only the one proper water jump and not particularly big steps so might be the one you mentioned

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I don't tell them..... Basically because for all intents and purposes they have gone to be ridden and then I lunge for issues on one specific thing which is usually ditches or water. I have lunged pretty much at every single one. Its pretty normal now to be able to get off and problem solve on the lunge.

I would go to Pontispool. 3 water jumps.

I have seen this issue loads and dealt with it. They just need the time to learn to drop their heads and just drop off. They cannot judge water depth very well so it takes a lot of trust dropping off. Lunging is the best way to teach them. I usually have a rope halter over the top of the bridle with reins twisted up and stirrups up on the saddle so you are not pulling on the mouth, a lunge line and a lunge whip. The lunge whip is used as an extension of my arms to keep them straight. Personally, I would start them on the lunge on regular banks up and down so they get the theory with being on the lunge. Then at water would lunge them through regularly and keep building up so they get it. Then get the rider back on.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
That’s an interesting problem, and not one I’ve come across before (bearing in mind I’m not and never have been an event rider/trainer). It sounds to me as if he’s afraid of the water splashing him in the face, could that be it? If that’s it, then a desensitising approach would be the way to go and lunging is a great start.

Skib

sites.google.com
I spectated a clinic by Tik Maynard. Working with a group of riders meant that a reluctant horse could gradually be encouraged to follow others into or across the water.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I think the lunging method LEC has described is most sensible. I'd also just make sure with really boring levels of repetition that you practicing just walking off the edge of a very small step, slowly building up the size of the step, but never going any faster than a joggy trot. Take all the pace and drama away from it and just make it all vey small and build it up very, very slowly. Having a small SJ you can work with as a jump in is helpful because you can build it up very slowly and drop it down if you need to.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I don't tell them..... Basically because for all intents and purposes they have gone to be ridden and then I lunge for issues on one specific thing which is usually ditches or water. I have lunged pretty much at every single one. Its pretty normal now to be able to get off and problem solve on the lunge.

I would go to Pontispool. 3 water jumps.

I have seen this issue loads and dealt with it. They just need the time to learn to drop their heads and just drop off. They cannot judge water depth very well so it takes a lot of trust dropping off. Lunging is the best way to teach them. I usually have a rope halter over the top of the bridle with reins twisted up and stirrups up on the saddle so you are not pulling on the mouth, a lunge line and a lunge whip. The lunge whip is used as an extension of my arms to keep them straight. Personally, I would start them on the lunge on regular banks up and down so they get the theory with being on the lunge. Then at water would lunge them through regularly and keep building up so they get it. Then get the rider back on.
Pontispool definitely an option, I have everything I’d need to do it there. Now I just need to find a date and someone to come with me (easier said than done!) I’m actually doing a clinic there in a few weeks but that’s not the right situation for this sort of training, but might give me an idea how he is in water this year. He felt a lot more confident and grownup at our last event so maybe that will translate a bit?!

That’s an interesting problem, and not one I’ve come across before (bearing in mind I’m not and never have been an event rider/trainer). It sounds to me as if he’s afraid of the water splashing him in the face, could that be it? If that’s it, then a desensitising approach would be the way to go and lunging is a great start.
Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s part of it. He hates things touching his face. But he’ll also happily canter through wanted (including deep-ish sea water) where it splashes him. Sadly the more he overjumps/leaps then lands in a heap, the more he splashes himself 🙃

I spectated a clinic by Tik Maynard. Working with a group of riders meant that a reluctant horse could gradually be encouraged to follow others into or across the water.
He’s actually pretty good at going in, even when he’s not entirely sure. It’s more the manner in which he goes which is the problem 🤦🏼‍♀️

I think the lunging method LEC has described is most sensible. I'd also just make sure with really boring levels of repetition that you practicing just walking off the edge of a very small step, slowly building up the size of the step, but never going any faster than a joggy trot. Take all the pace and drama away from it and just make it all vey small and build it up very, very slowly. Having a small SJ you can work with as a jump in is helpful because you can build it up very slowly and drop it down if you need to.
That’s what we tried to do a lot of last season, he was rock solid on the “first” step, but as soon as you tried to go off the “second” one you got the reaction above. All of this is done in either walk or very slow trot.

We did actually do a bit of work with a SJ in front of the water about 18mo ago. He seemed to find that easier as it wasn’t a step down, just over the jump landing in the water. Maybe because he could see “through” it? Might be worth revisiting at some point though.