Jumping Lessons? - East Ayrshire (also in Scotland board)

Moody-Mare

Visit site
Hi Guys!

In serious need of jumping lesson, My Mare and I are parting company a little too often and feel I'm verging on a confidence knock

Can anyone recommend anyone in East Ayrshire? I have transport but not wanting to travel too far.. All ideas welcome!

Thanking you! mmx

Moody-Mare

Visit site
Highly recommend David Harland if he is teaching over your way.

Aileen Craig?? She does lots of lessons for Ayr riding club? Nadine Warwick, David Gatherer, Olivia Wilmot?
Thanks! Was thinking Aileen Craig too!
Ooh! I'm getting a lesson from him tomorrow :D

Will report back MM :D Maybe even with pictures if my mother manages to work the camera ;)
That would be excellent! Thanks!!

I'm needing someone firm who will push me.. Does anyone know if george babes does lessons? mmx

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I'm needing someone firm who will push me.. Does anyone know if george babes does lessons? mmx

This is exactly what I need. Andrew Hamilton taught me for years and always pushed enough without hurting my confidence so I learned to believe that if he thought that I could do it then I could. But his clinics aren't very close at the minute and with my new girl I could do with some quiet 1 on 1, and Davids clinic came up a 20 minute hack away and I've got a nice wee 1/2 hour slot at 7.45 tomorrow night. Nice warm up on the way along, and its at a venue Jazz is really very comfortable and relaxed at. So fingers crossed.

Moody-Mare

Visit site
This is exactly what I need. Andrew Hamilton taught me for years and always pushed enough without hurting my confidence so I learned to believe that if he thought that I could do it then I could. But his clinics aren't very close at the minute and with my new girl I could do with some quiet 1 on 1, and Davids clinic came up a 20 minute hack away and I've got a nice wee 1/2 hour slot at 7.45 tomorrow night. Nice warm up on the way along, and its at a venue Jazz is really very comfortable and relaxed at. So fingers crossed.

Yes, sounds just like me! Its not asthough my mare is actually doing anything wrong when jumping, we just cant seem to get it together atm.. It's frustrating cause i know it me :mad: Would be good to see someone else actually ride her though- shes super pingy! Will need to get some pictures mmx

Chocy

Visit site
David Gatherer is at Thornhill stables in stewarton once a month does jump & flat lessons

Olivia Wilmot there weekly as well (obv would have to ask owners if OK to take horse there but a few people do it)

I recommend both of them!!

Also there is Martin Arnott at ingliston - Never had lesson from him but thot would put name out there

Aileen Craig is local too

EventingMum

Visit site
I've heard good reports on all the names mentioned above. A lot depends on who you can get as many are very busy, we tend to use David Gatherer (although primarily an eventer is good for sj) and Andrew Hamilton when he does clinics at Ingliston. Also use Les Smith mainly for flat but have had a couple of very good jumping sessions with him. Best bet would perhaps be to approach local venues and see who they have for clinics.

Another thought would be Trish Harvey who might be closer to your area and has experience is all disciplines.

blood_magik

Visit site
like I said earlier, it's a shame your a bit too far from ingliston.
I'm in need of someone to share my lesson with - an hour one on one is just too much :p
Olivia is good - I had a flat lesson with her and we made a huge amount of progress in just one 45 minute lesson.

Moody-Mare

Visit site
I've heard good reports on all the names mentioned above. A lot depends on who you can get as many are very busy, we tend to use David Gatherer (although primarily an eventer is good for sj) and Andrew Hamilton when he does clinics at Ingliston. Also use Les Smith mainly for flat but have had a couple of very good jumping sessions with him. Best bet would perhaps be to approach local venues and see who they have for clinics.

Another thought would be Trish Harvey who might be closer to your area and has experience is all disciplines.
Thanks so much!
like I said earlier, it's a shame your a bit too far from ingliston.
I'm in need of someone to share my lesson with - an hour one on one is just too much :p
Olivia is good - I had a flat lesson with her and we made a huge amount of progress in just one 45 minute lesson.

The chestnutter would be faaaaaaar too busy making eyes at your big fella :p But in an ideal world that would be great!!

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Ride more often with your stirrups a bit longer, hike them up one for jumping, but at this stage you may not be ready for two holes up. Lift your thighs with your hands so that the inners sit flat against the saddle, the more you ride in balance the easier it becomes.
Is the saddle the right size for you?
Make sure your position is always correct, if you watch a good rider they always seem to be in the right position.
Ask someone to lunge you for five minues every day without stirrups, make sure you keep your legs long and dont grip with the calves. Use the saddle or a neck strap if you need to, look tall and keep balanced.
Go to the gym if you need to improve fitness, balance and reactions, the fitter you are the easier it is.

Last edited:

Moody-Mare

Visit site
Ride more often with your stirrups a bit longer, hike them up one for jumping, but at this stage you may not be ready for two holes up. Lift your thighs with your hands so that the inners sit flat against the saddle, the more you ride in balance the easier it becomes.
Is the saddle the right size for you?
Make sure your position is always correct, if you watch a good rider they always seem to be in the right position.
Ask someone to lunge you for five minues every day without stirrups, make sure you keep your legs long and dont grip with the calves. Use the saddle or a neck strap if you need to, look tall and keep balanced.
Go to the gym if you need to improve fitness, balance and reactions, the fitter you are the easier it is.

the saddle is a 17.5'' but now you mention it i do feel i kind of slide about in it.. Will post pictures and you could give your opinion? Thanks so much mmx