Jumping onto concrete - should I be worried?!

Primitive Pony

Visit site
I tried loose schooling my horse today (vet's suggestion after chiro/physio for a few muscle and skeletal issues that have been going on - he said it would be a good idea to get him moving unhindered, which I was totally happy to try), he's a very chilled-out chap and didn't seem keen to do much, and I was a bit worried about him being a bit stiff anyway so wasn't going to push him.

Suddenly, before I knew it, he'd sailed out of the arena over the 5-bar gate (from a trot), landed on concrete, and cantered off across the car-park. Granted, he can't have been feeling too stiff or sore, which is good to know, and he seemed perfectly happy afterwards, but should I be worried about the concussion? - and/or is there anything I should do other than give him a day or two off and hope for the best when I trot him up next!?

eggs

Visit site
My mare did the same thing. As he didn't slip over I wouldn't be too worried. Just keep an eye on him over the next few days. Years ago we often cantered on the roads when out hunting although I wouldn't do it nowadays.

Primitive Pony

Visit site
Thank you for your reply. And a very good point, I'm sure horses have survived a lot worse out hunting!! I'm decidedly paranoid at the minute anyway as he hasn't been 100% and is meant to be doing very light work, so was hoping that my panic wasn't justified!

kinnygirl1

Visit site
At some of the shows I went to watch at last summer, the ground was as hard as concrete and people were jumping on it. Probably not great for them all the time but a one off probably ok. Just keep an eye on him.