Jumping our Yearling!

AndySpooner

Visit site
Sorry, I don't understand, do you want him to be jumping at Olympia next year?
Yearling are just babies, they need time to grow, and to mature physically, also mentally, I would never back anything under three unless it was to be raced as a two year old.

Slight contradiction there I feel.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Almost all of my clients ask to see a short video clip of my youngsters popping over a little jump. I don't jump them 3'6" as normally you can spot "form" regardless of the size of the jump but yes ours are usually popped over little 1ft - 18 inch jumps to show prospective buyers their potential. It's normal (and expected) to do this in my market.
I think little pops are fine, if I was in the market for a well bred competition horse bred for the job and professionally handled, fine, but somebody with a real "freak", in the best sense, I don't want them to ruin the thing by jumping loose over 1 metre, what is the point, if I wanted to buy from a pro yard, I could discuss this and that with them, if I went to a person who happened to own a potential jumper, potentially top class, I don't want to see the same thing.

burge

Visit site
If someone wanted to buy a yearling for jumping in the future you would want to see if it had any potential especially if it was a lot of money and intended for going a 'long way' competitively. Don't see any problem with occasional pops over a fence or 2.

On a similar line I read a while ago about a study that was done with foals and of all the different groups in the study the group that had the best bone density were the ones that were given a little bit of forced excercise each day. By forced I only mean made to move a bit in an arena for a few minutes at a time. After all if they were in the wild they would have to do this if predators were about. I suppose being kept in a safe field does not provide the same need for urgency. I know they run about and play but that is not quite the same as being pressed a little. Food for thought?

I am in no way advocating making horses do too much too soon but a little and often may actually help.

Allover

Visit site
On a similar line I read a while ago about a study that was done with foals and of all the different groups in the study the group that had the best bone density were the ones that were given a little bit of forced excercise each day. By forced I only mean made to move a bit in an arena for a few minutes at a time. Food for thought?

From what i understand of it the foals with the best bone density were ones that had been walked over many different surfaces and not just sand or grass.

From what i remember regarding stresses places on limbs in jumping horses, the difference between jumping 2ft-3ft is negligable, over that the strains are far higher, this was in mature horses.

OP if you are going to jump a yearling you should do it properly, jumping from a standstill is not in any way desirable, you are greatly increasing the risk of muscle injury and not really educating him in any way, you said yourself he knows how to jump as he does it in the field so what you need to do is get him approaching the fence well.

I look forward to seeing him in 2020 :)

Hoofprints in the Snow

Visit site
Doing some work in the school yesterday with our yearling, just some light groundwork. Decided to pull out some wings and poles and stick up a small jump (just to have a go ;) )

He cleared it with ease, so we put it up, again clear, up some more, clear again (he was loving it). Ended up on the top of the wing 3ft 6 and was easily clearing it.

Thing was, they were all from stand-still.......ouch! Think he's going to be a good jumper!

Sorry but it seems you were encouriging him to go higher. Even if he seems to love it I'd discourage it till he is much older. Mine jumps the odd thing in the field too but I don't want to have a crippled horse when he is older so would never dream or encouraging him even to satisfy my curiosity.

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
*facedesk*

Why does it matter the difference between a one off and doing it every day? It takes one mistake to cock up forever.

Dorey has a buggered pelvis, she's had it since an accident as a baby and as a result I suspect she will always struggle to jump much over 3ft (and as such will never XC properly because of her chances of hitting fences :( ).

Congratulations for putting your youngster in the position where, jumping over 3ft from standstill, he could spend the rest of his life like Dorey, struggling to jump around the 3ft mark! Some showjumper he'll make...

FTR - there's nothing anyone will do for Dorey's pelvis, she's adapted to her pelvis injury and works nicely enough. No one really wants her to be a top showjumper anyway so it's hardly LOU. It could cause more problem than it's worth to sort it out at this point.

assuan

Visit site
From what i understand of it the foals with the best bone density were ones that had been walked over many different surfaces and not just sand or grass.

That's interesting, would like to read that research.

We walk him quite frequently on a variety of surfaces, mud tracks, roads, sand school, in the field, gravel tracks, woodland areas..... maybe more beneficial for him than I thought.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Why? What is? Have you read the entire thread!

Yes I have and I'm sorry, I still say it was a stupid thing to do. Behaving loose like that in the field is not a problem for me, they all play, race, have mock fights, jump over thistles and things but to actually ask your yearling to do that in a school even as a 'I wonder if he can' and then not content that he can but to keep raising the poles shows a complete lack of foresight and consideration for him from you and it's not something I would like to see becomes the norm for any youngster whether it be intended for a jumping career or not. Patience is the name of the game with youngsters and if he was jumping from a standstill so much more of a shock on his limbs, muscles and ligaments, far more than if it had been from a flowing stride; I'm surprised you can't see that, sorry if you think I sound an old fussy pants but I've seen the damage that sort of thing has done in the past and I wouldn't want to risk it with any of mine. It also begs the question of how many other things will you ask him before he's physically and mentally ready.

assuan

Visit site
Believe it or not, I'm not a moron - I could rattle on for paragraphs about the experience and knowledge of my training team, but I dont feel I need to justify myself to anyone on the forum!

Our horses speak for themselves!

assuan

Visit site
Indeed, I love this forum!

And yes I can use spell check, but I also type very fast and often just hit 'tab tab space' to submit my post - therefore not spell checking first.

Allover

Visit site
That's interesting, would like to read that research.

We walk him quite frequently on a variety of surfaces, mud tracks, roads, sand school, in the field, gravel tracks, woodland areas..... maybe more beneficial for him than I thought.

Yep though you need to be careful you are not doing too much, its a fine line between "educating" his body and over cooking him.

Have a look on the internet, the study was done on young racers i believe. If you are interested there is a great book by Mary Bromiley (amazon) which goes into understandable detail of the bio-mechanics of the horse and the reasons that they break down and how to fix them!

FWIW i jumped my youngster as a yearling as i needed a video to be able to show potential customers.

Vickijay

Visit site
Yes I have and I'm sorry, I still say it was a stupid thing to do. Behaving loose like that in the field is not a problem for me, they all play, race, have mock fights, jump over thistles and things but to actually ask your yearling to do that in a school even as a 'I wonder if he can' and then not content that he can but to keep raising the poles shows a complete lack of foresight and consideration for him from you and it's not something I would like to see becomes the norm for any youngster whether it be intended for a jumping career or not. Patience is the name of the game with youngsters and if he was jumping from a standstill so much more of a shock on his limbs, muscles and ligaments, far more than if it had been from a flowing stride; I'm surprised you can't see that, sorry if you think I sound an old fussy pants but I've seen the damage that sort of thing has done in the past and I wouldn't want to risk it with any of mine. It also begs the question of how many other things will you ask him before he's physically and mentally ready.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Also what's the rush? The whole thing (for me at least) is having a baby from the start to become my riding horse one day. I would never want to do anything that might jeopardise the path to that. Just be careful because you would kick yourself and wonder what the point was if something did go wrong.

I also think that "why make dyslexia so damn hard to spell?" is a really good point!! I dont even have it but probably couldnt spell it!

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
It's not something I would do, personally.

For the grammer police - cheap shot about spellcheck - when all else fails pick on a posters grammer, eh?

soph21

Visit site
My best friends WB was 16hh + as a yearling last year, he's going to be a SJ'er but she wouldn't dream of free schooling him over jumps!! Not even this year as a 2 yr old standing at 16.3hh FFS!!

teddyt

Visit site
I hope you warmed up and cooled down properly. And personally i wouldnt have gone higher and higher if the horse kept jumping from a stand still - asking for an injury or a scared horse if it didnt make the height and took down the top pole. That is where i think your judgement wasnt great OP. The fact that he did it of his own choice is not really the point, he is too young to know. Sometimes you as the human has to control the situation in order to maintain safety.

I dont object to the jumping per se, just not convinced you did the right thing upping the height so far when he was jumping from a standstill

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Not something I would do with a youngster myself, one off or not. And for the record I bought my mare at 6 months old and at 15 years old she has never had a single days lameness in her life. I guess I was too soft on her ;-P