Jumping out of fields

showqa

Visit site
I was loose schooling my five year old and he was working nicely. I popped him over a raised pole which I haven't done before and was fully expecting him to stop at it, but he popped over it nicely without a problem. My friend approached the fence and commented on how nicely he was working and then, in a split second, he jumped over the fence which must be near enough 4ft high.

I'm now worried that he'll try to jump out of his field, now he knows that he can do this, whenever his field mate leaves. Am I being irrational or is this a valid concern? Worried to death now.

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
Probably won't make a habit out of it - don't worry
smile.gif
If it's really worrying you then you could set some electric fencing back from the fence so that it looks too wide to attempt.

If all else fails - sell him as an eventer
tongue.gif

dwi

Visit site
He probably won't jump out but if he does I'll second scotsmare's comment. Daisy tries to jump out because she's on restricted grazing so we put up a double layer of electric fencing so that its too wide for her. Solved the problem

Flint12

Visit site
My horse is now labled as free range some days at my yard. Some days he stays in his field some days he doesnt. Electric fence makes no difference. But i put it down to being young and a bit nosey. I found him in the insinerator the oter morning, luckily horse was in one bit.

Im sure your horse will not make a habit of this, just a spur of the moment thing i would imagine.