Jumping Question re SJ V XC

Joyous70

Visit site
Does anyone else have the same issue i do?

If i see a xc fence 90 i know i can jump it easily and get excited about it I haven't done a course, but have jumped around at venues i have hired and jumped 90 and even a couple of novices, but put a 90 SJ fence in front of me and i get the wobbles?

Anyone got any tips on how to get over this?

Bernster

Visit site
Not at the same level as you but yes. I’m more comfortable xc than sj despite sj being more knock down and less imposing in many ways. For me it’s partly the gaps in the poles that I think put me off, and the quality of the canter. In xc cos it’s straighter, you tend to get a better line in and time to build up the canter. SJ shows up when we don’t have a bouncy enough canter. I’m used to running into fences too which doesn’t help. Having to re educate myself!

Only thing that’s helping me is regular jumping and lessons.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
When I was eventing being happier cross country than over poles that fall was a well known thing with eventers. I was exactly the same. I loved the cross country but in the early days I used to have a slug of gin before the show jumping!

More show jumping was helpful. As was learning to look over the fence and not into it. I never cracked it though. I got stuck at Novice because I couldn't jump intermediate height show jumps at 4ft 2. (1.15) when I jumped six foot hedges out hunting!

Joyous70

Visit site
More show jumping practice it is then, i hate the fact they can fall over, but the show jumps always look bigger somehow? Im beginning to wonder if at this rate i will ever get out and compete :rolleyes:

JFTDWS

Visit site
I prefer show jumps - I'm a total wuss xc! But then I have a heck of a lot more experience sj than xc (not that I'm in any way expert at either - ha!).

Joyous70

Visit site
I prefer show jumps - I'm a total wuss xc! But then I have a heck of a lot more experience sj than xc (not that I'm in any way expert at either - ha!).
Im no expert at either, in fact in my younger years did more SJ than XC, i just can't get my head around why an 80 or 90 SJ gives me the heebies looking at them, but he solid fences im like yeah, let me at em

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Im no expert at either, in fact in my younger years did more SJ than XC, i just can't get my head around why an 80 or 90 SJ gives me the heebies looking at them, but he solid fences im like yeah, let me at em

I am exactly the same!!
I think my issue is the same as Bernsters.. the gap inbetween the ground and the top pole SJ scares me :D:D what i do find though.. I find a big SJ fence much more inviting when it is an oxer rather than just one upright if that makes sense.

I'm going XC schooling on sat, the 90 fences look fab and ill be up for them no probs.
But jumping a 90 SJ round is not fun they look HUGE.

Funny isn't it!!

Templebar

Visit site
Im exactly the same and for me the nerves really crept in at 90cm and 100cm but i have hunted a lot and galloping at fences which dont fall down feels like a natural thing and even my horses seem to be wary of the poles.

One thing i really hated would be course walks and that would worry me more than anything. One day after a great lesson i went and walked the course we had just jumped, it made so much difference. It was like i walked it thinking its ok we just did this. Last year we built up to 1.15 and now i have no problem with 90 or even 100 really. I make sure if i feel the wobbles coming back i take the time to walk a few fences after training.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yep, I will jump pretty much anything XC but big SJ makes me a bit on edge, I think I seem to have a fear of poles falling down on top of me. If Im at all concerned about a SJ track then I'll walk it slightly from afar (I wont walk right up to them so I can see the actual height up close).

Joyous70

Visit site
I am exactly the same!!
I think my issue is the same as Bernsters.. the gap inbetween the ground and the top pole SJ scares me :D:D what i do find though.. I find a big SJ fence much more inviting when it is an oxer rather than just one upright if that makes sense.

I'm going XC schooling on sat, the 90 fences look fab and ill be up for them no probs.
But jumping a 90 SJ round is not fun they look HUGE.

Funny isn't it!!

After jumping an oxer in my lesson the other week that was around 90-100, and my mare overjumping it as she does with most things, it felt like it was about 1.20/1.30 and i managed to loose my reins!!! It makes me even more worried.

mavandkaz

Visit site
I'm the opposite, much prefer sj. Really can't get my head around the idea of jumping a fixed, solid object that won't move if you hit it and will likely cause you and the horse to end up on the floor if you get it wrong. I prefer the fact SJ will fall down if I get it wrong.
Also probably because my first horse didn't do rustic fences but was a machine over coloured poles, so that's what we did.
I also have a fear of hacking out, and the lack of control I have over what's going on around me so xc is too similar to riding out in the country side. Give me a nice enclosed arena with good footing any day

Joyous70

Visit site
I'm the opposite, much prefer sj. Really can't get my head around the idea of jumping a fixed, solid object that won't move if you hit it and will likely cause you and the horse to end up on the floor if you get it wrong. I prefer the fact SJ will fall down if I get it wrong.
I think it bothers me that show jumps will fall down not sure why though

Joyous70

Visit site
Im exactly the same and for me the nerves really crept in at 90cm and 100cm but i have hunted a lot and galloping at fences which dont fall down feels like a natural thing and even my horses seem to be wary of the poles.

One thing i really hated would be course walks and that would worry me more than anything. One day after a great lesson i went and walked the course we had just jumped, it made so much difference. It was like i walked it thinking its ok we just did this. Last year we built up to 1.15 and now i have no problem with 90 or even 100 really. I make sure if i feel the wobbles coming back i take the time to walk a few fences after training.
Thank you that's great advice but not sure I will ever get passed 100 these days though I'm the wrong side of 40

Templebar

Visit site
Thank you that's great advice but not sure I will ever get passed 100 these days though I'm the wrong side of 40

I don't think that will matter it was just our example. I still think that for anyone with nerves walking a course you have ridden could help you get over nerves next time at that height.