jumping question??

seaview

Visit site
Hi everyone bit of help needed with my 5 year old that tbh has nothing virtuallly nothing!!

On our approach to the fence we are perfectly straight but as he jumps he twists to the right, this means he is jumping at an angle and jumping is not great!

When we do the poles on the side and large X poles he really pops them and uses himself but when you take them away again it goes back!

I am asking him to jump really straight but he is really resisting me, help...

Nat
x

WelshRareBit

Visit site
I would say try to jump him with the bad side on the edge of the arena/field so he has the fence to line up with. Also keep the poles even with straights. I think perhaps this problem may take a fair bit of time to correct but would be worth it if you feel he can jump! x

fjudge

Visit site
Hi nat
smile.gif

I dont really have much advice, but i would say dont worry too too much! 5 is still quite young...horses mature at different ages, so for him he could be jumping at the equivelnt of a differnt horse that is 4 (if you get me!!!) lol

You say that he jumps correctly with X poles and poles on the side. Maybe if you do more work with those, possibly in a combination, and have the middle jump as the one that he twists over. Not to catch him out, but he will jump the first one straight and it may help him to stay straight for the middle one? Im not sure if it will help, but just a thought.

Also, what sort of height have you been training over? Just waderin, because a friend of mine has a horse, similar sort of age, that when jumping small fences, just doesnt try or pick her feet up and sometimes twists her legs, but when you put it up a bit, she focuses and makes a shape over the fence! She jumps between 2ft and 3'3ft at home...she jumps the bigger fences properly!!

x

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I would just keep jumping him out of trot, until he learns to use himself properly. You are right to want him to be straight, but he must let you push him forwards into a fence, that way you will have more control over speed and balance. Until he accepts jumping out of trot without altering his rhythm don't try to canter as it is too easy for him to get onto his forehand and this will make him regress to the wonky jumping.
Above all take your time and be consistent.

6103claire

Visit site
My four year old sometimes flicks her legs to the right and twists a bit when she jumps, its horrible as its really unbalancing. To start with i was a bit worried but as it wasnt everytime decided just to leavi it a while and see if she grows out ofit. i dont jump her that often as she is only four but she loves it when i do! i use poles to help keep her straight and this seems to work. hopefully she will grow out of it when she gets more balanced, which i think she will as its not all the time.