Jumping the 4yo - advice please!

Amaretto

Visit site
Okay, desperately don't want to do too much with my baby - well aware that we should take our time and not do too much. However, he is showing much bravery and maturity whilst he is learning to jump and I haven't pushed him.

BYEH classes are about 95cm for the 4yo classes, with competitors expected to show a gallop. Do you think I should go for it, or do you think this is too much?

Am petrified of doing too much as lost my beautiful Felix to joint problem, which I am convinced were down to him being pushed as a baby (not whilst I had him)!

Do horse who do well in these classes go on to make successful, sound competition horses?
confused.gif

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
I used to have a fantastic youngster that was jumping BN and Discoveries as a 4 yr old. He didn't struggle at all and never had a days lameness. I sold him when he was 6 and when he was vetted the vet said he'd never seen a horse with such clean legs!
I sold him to the MFH of the Surrey Union hunt so he was hunted twice a week until he was 8 and then sold to the USA where he is still going strong now at 16!

diggerbez

Visit site
well at the end of the day you need a plan- which BYEH classes are you thinking of- i.e. when are they? then you have to plan back from there and think if he is going to be ready for them...i know in my case that i won't be competing this year- its just not going to happen, he looks far too babyish. i might aim for some dressage by august/september but i have totally given up on doing any BYEH as figured would need to be ready in the next month or so and not really jumping yet (i don't think can count 1 10cm x pole!!)- i know you've jumped him about 90cm but you'll have to do a course of different jumps, poss some portable xc fences at a show- and probably a big one so lots for a baby to take in....personally i think you seriously need to get your ass in gear to get doing BYEH this year (remember that most horses in these classes have been produced since last summer for this)
sorry if its a bit rambling but kind of thinking as i go!
grin.gif

Amaretto

Visit site
I think it's too soon too, hence the post...was more about whether people think it's hard on the joints, even if they are ready physically or educationally. Am not prepared to push him and spoil a good horse
frown.gif
U know me better DB

diggerbez

Visit site
oh i know you're not! sorry didn't mean to sound like i was having a go. i like the idea of BYEH classes but i think you have to produce very slowly for them from the summer before so those of us with ponies just backed this jan/feb haven't got the time to get them ready without hammering them and jumping too much...

Amaretto

Visit site
DB just read my post back - sorry! Had one of those days where everyone had opinions about what you should and shouldn't do (without me asking), so decided to turn it round and actually ask advice from people who really do have a clue!