Jumping the wrong fence in a 2DE - do you leave the course??

jennystreek

Visit site
Can you let me know what you think of this............

My sister took my horse to Warlingham two day event (unaffiliated, riding club thing). As she did an awful dressage test yesterday, i told her just to take it easy xc and not push for the time. She was really looking forward to doing the course as my boy loves his xc.........HOWEVER, my silly sister must have let her nerves get to her and managed to jump the wrong jump at fence two (she was in novice class, but jumped mini), but she was completely oblivious to this so carried on. She then got pulled up at fence 4 (with poor horse wanting to go on!!!), where she was told to leave the course immediately as she was eliminated. Once she had realised what happened, she asked politely if she could continue her round as she had been looking forward to it so much, yet was told "no".

I'm sure I've heard of people in BE doing the wrong jumps, yet i cant imagine them getting stopped in their tracks?? Just think for a local event, designed to encourage people, this was unreasonable??

Completely put off unaffilated events now......especially with that particular riding club. Also noticed the dressage judge was a member of the club, and was giving scores up to nearly 80% for some of the other members......not being funny, but half of them should have been on about 50%.......hmmmmm

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
in my opinion if it was a technical error than no I would not have pulled her up and if i'm right in BE riders often don't realise until seeing the TE next to their name on the score boards.

Unless she was causing a hazard eg consistently stopping/napping (which she wasn't by sounds) I would have let her continue. Hey I did a 1DE with Dan several years back when I was actually eliminated at fence 4 (due to number of stops) but was allowed to finish the course as long as I allowed any approaching/catching riders to pass me safely with me not holding them up which I was very grateful for.

ihatework

Visit site
TBH this is the normal rule, if you jump the wrong fence and are eliminated then you normally leave the course at a walk.

H-J

www.piczo.com
I agree with Santa145 if you jump the wrong fence usually BE you are allowed to continue as you usually dont know you have done it! And are therefore not causing an obstruction.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Having been TE twice this year due to stupidity once at fence 7 and once towards the end - BE just let me get on with it. I am surprised at RC level especially if both horse and rider were doing well. Only time I have been asked to pull up was after 4 refusals as ground was rotten doing a RC event and that was stated at start.

vic07

Visit site
thats why I don't go unaff! Just find that they can be far stricter and more difficult than aff comps. I have never been stopped for taking wrong fence. I quite often miss fences unaff if I think the fence is too much for a baby.

jennystreek

Visit site
completely agree with leaving course if horse is naughty, but he wasnt causing any disruption at all. They said it was H&S reasons she had to leave.......would have thought stopping her was more dangerous!!

_April_

Visit site
I'm surprised they didn't let you continue... at our RC events which are always pretty small and informal we let people continue unless they have fallen off and it might be dangerous to continue. Even then they can sometimes go and carry on at the end for some practice.
I guess you just have to follow the organisers rules though!

_April_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I quite often miss fences unaff if I think the fence is too much for a baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with you on that one. Far safer to use a judgement call and skip a fence if you think it's too much rather than risking it and breaking your neck!

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
if -- you jumped the worng course then its a emlination now results for each jump are asses by the jump judge - but in getting the results back to base when the sheets are handed back doesnt always happen straight away --

if shes jumped the wrong jump and time allowed for reesults back to base might not have got to back till fence 4- it might be shes was to slow and blocked other riders comming thorugh
which is a harzard then she would have been pulled up

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I have found that RC events can be really official or really relaxed, and I agree entirely about the missing out fences. I have been eliminated for jumping a Novice fence on a Pre-novice course. I dont think they should stop someone for TE. Although you must remember that fence judges are often non-horsey rellys who have been roped in so they dont have the power of discretion!

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
How odd, espeically unaffiliated!!! Very odd, i once jumped a completely different course
smile.gif
and was allowed to carry on!!! (i say completely diff course, i jumped a jump instead of another and carried on oblivious) infact didnt even know until i got back to the lorry and was told by a fellow competitor
smile.gif

lottie1990

www.myspace.com
I know that my mom missed out a jump on the cross country but she never pulled up even though in the end she was eliminated,

But i think they should had let your sister carry on, you did pay for it and if its unaffiliated and part of your riding club its suppose to be enjoyable, jsut tell your sista if it happens again igonre the judge and carry on and have fun! the mean judges....

Zebedee

Visit site
To an extent they were right to quote H & S as a reason. If she had continued & in any way been the cause of an accident the club COULD have been held liable for allowing an eliminated competitor to continue.
It's a bit of a grey area & I can sympathise with competitors as XC comps are so expensive to enter these days.
By the same token if the horse is too inexperienced to tackle the course as set then perhaps the money would be better spent on schooling sessions rather then entries? One of our local courses enforces the leave if eliminated rule, but gives out a voucher for free course hire for schooling to those that are.

NB. This is a general reply to several posts in the thread.