Jumping - what now?

Visit site
I've been riding for 6 years and jumping has always been my weak point. Last year I got up to my best and was able to happily go around 80cm courses with very few mistakes (dodgey strides). Over the winter I didn't really jump a lot due to horses being lame etc.

I've come back to jumping in a bit of a confidence crisis. I started off jumping again fine all until I took a little tumble (should've stayed on but fence was getting closer and horse wouldn't stop as he was off in carrot land). Ever since I've been really bad at getting over jumps. Poles I don't care about and can canter over them all day, but as soon as they are raised I freak out.

I'm not sure where to go with it anymore. I like jumping but can't seem to let myself get over any, if I do I seem to feel frustrated rather than happy (negative mindset). What would you recommend to help me to start to get around the fear of raised poles?

be positive

Visit site
Simple answer a good instructor, someone to help build your confidence as well as the fences, trying to fix this type of issue on your own is difficult as you have to get off to put things up or change something which means not only do you lose the momentum but often take the easy option and don't bother.

Overread

www.flickr.com
I'd echo that view that a good instructor or tutor or mentor figure can help you regain your confidence. You might also find it of value to review with them and talk out what happened after you do a jump (even a small easy one) and to just go through it with them. Sometimes just by talking out something you can help your mind get your thoughts into a logical order and avoid getting stuck in a mental loop.

Just getting on and doing something can work to an extent - indeed repetition and increased familiarity is a big part of regaining or just gaining confidence; but many times having someone to help along that path is a big boost and can allow you to overcome your fears quicker and reach a higher level of skill than you might otherwise achieve on your own.

Clearly you are struggling on your own already hence your post here; you're clearly smart enough to know that repetition and small steps of increasing the height is a part of the way forward; but I think you've tried that and now you need a little more input even if its just to help you pace yourself so that the repetition and practice doesn't become overwhelming in your mind.

Note a good instructor coupled with talking things out might allow you to discover that part of your fear isn't linked to the jump but to another aspect of riding where you might not be as confident as you think you are. Thus the jumping might just be highlighting where there's a lack of confidence or understanding or practice etc.. elsewhere and thus working on resolving the core problem would be far more beneficial.

Shay

Visit site
Have you thought about doing a confidence course? depends on where you are of course but the courses run by the center of horseback combat are very well reviewed. My daughter did her stunt riding certificate there.

HamSandwich

New User
Visit site
@Shay, Just to say an enormous thank you for telling us about the existence of the CHC! I've been having real problems with anticipatory nervousness (my horse is going to run away! I'm going to fall off! I can't control everything!) and this looks just the ticket. I'm going to book into one in November. Thank you.