Jumping wire fences.... views?

Lill

Visit site
Out hunting?

I will admit that I've never been hunting (although i would love to go) so don't really know too much.

But not sure i could bring myself to jump Blue over a sheepwire fence with barbed wire across the top
crazy.gif

Or is this normal practice?

I think i would be too worried about the consequences if we misjudged it, both for me and for him
crazy.gif

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I have never really been hunting either, but I think at most obstacles there is an alternative gateway or similar for you to go through. You won't be the only one using it if you do.

If you want to go could you go on a try hunting day with your local one? I went on one of those and it was ok. Spent half a day tramping around some fields, lots of waiting around and a few jumps - oh and LOTS of people falling off!
grin.gif

Mine is a very careful jumper, but don't think I would ever go over a wire fence either
crazy.gif
smile.gif

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I wouldnt but I am OK with those that do, as they are generaly v competent with experienced horses. The one that scares me most is 5 barred gates tho, can never get how peeps jump them sometimes almost from standstill from deep bog. Not me, I'll stick with the knitting circle....

quirky

Visit site
I was out hunting and the girl I was with, was nervous, so I accompanied her back to the lorry. When I re-joined the hunt, they had closed the route with barbed wire that had previously been opened. I had no choice but to jump it, it was preferable to running through it!! I was pretty certain my pony would clear it and thankfully he did.
If I had the choice or ther tools to do so, I'd have opened it.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I hunt regularly and we very very rarely jump barbed wire fences. Infact the only time I have jumped barbed wire was when it was wrapped round the top of a hurdle, going out of a field onto the road! Was very glad I had a careful showjumper!

Drummer

Visit site
I jumped a wire fence when my horse decided it looked more fun then the timber fence we were meant to jump he just swerved and flew over that instead. I dont think there was barbed wire on it though and I would prefer not to jump a barbed wire fence.

Enfys

Visit site
I have hunted for years and it was never the norm with packs I hunted with.

I have jumped wire in the past, but always found a feed sack or something to drape over the top......wouldn't risk plain wire myself.

ironhorse

Visit site
You very rarely HAVE to jump wire...have done on one or two occasions and someone usually puts a big branch or a jacket over the fence to give horses something to jump.
Sometimes have to jump rails with wire in them..just need to jump a bit more carefully.
One of our former masters had an amazing horse that would jump really tall wire from a careful trot as long as his rider said 'up'!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My pack jump lots of barbed wire fences at every meet - Castle and Ali have never had any "mishaps" whilst jumping it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine too! If you didn't jump wire you wouldn't bother going out. Can't say I actually enjoy it though. We do school our horses from a young age to jump wire. I've seen a lot of "mishaps", generally cr*p riders who haven't a clue, has to be said
crazy.gif

moneypit1

Visit site
It all depends doesn't it. If you jump it and rip your horses belly/legs open and still think it was just bad luck and the risk was worth it then yeah, take it on. Me however, NO. Too risky, jumping poles that fall is a risk on its own but one I am willing to subject my horse to, Wire - no, too hardcore for me.

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
My pack jump lots of barbed wire fences at every meet - Castle and Ali have never had any "mishaps" whilst jumping it...

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence but I do find it kind of ironic that you posted a photo about what barbed wire had done to ali on a "what barbed wire can do page"... yet you are willing to jump it.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm singling you out or anything, I am in no position to do so, and its your horse what you jump!

Personally, I would try very hard to avoid it, have seen nasty injuries from barbed wire and couldn't live with myself if my horse was hurt.

ladyt25

Visit site
I wouldn't do it, why risk it? I would never forgive myself if anything happened. Yes sure we take risk riding all the time but why jump something that could potentially be so lethal? I never forget when some boy I knew years ago jumped an old rusty gate and ripped his horse's stomach open. He was very lucky and his horse survived but I think the same could happen with wire and I'd rather keep my horse in one piece thanks!

hadfos

Visit site
Definately not..my lad has had some horrific injuries to his legs from barb wire fencing...hence to say i stay clear of fencing with wire and would never attempt to jump it with him!!

CastleMouse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We do school our horses from a young age to jump wire.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I shouldn't say that before I brought Ali out hunting he had probably never jumped a wire fence in his life!
blush.gif
He never hunted before I bought him and I doubt they teach precious young showjumpers and dressage horses to jump wire from a young age in Denmark!
tongue.gif
He is an EXTREMELY careful jumper though
smile.gif

CastleMouse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence but I do find it kind of ironic that you posted a photo about what barbed wire had done to ali on a "what barbed wire can do page"... yet you are willing to jump it.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm singling you out or anything, I am in no position to do so, and its your horse what you jump!

Personally, I would try very hard to avoid it, have seen nasty injuries from barbed wire and couldn't live with myself if my horse was hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was because a bl**dy horse in front of him reared up and he had no choice but to reverse into barbed wire as we were all so tightly lined up together! Ali is a very clean jumper though so I never worried when we jumped wire fences out hunting.

KatB

Visit site
I wont do it. Only time I have is when they put a pallet up against the fence to "guard" the wire, and that was on my pony who is VERY careful. Fences often have wire on them, but aslong as their is a rail thats fine. I would never ever risk G's legs over just a plain wire fence, he is worth too much to me.

Maisy

Visit site
I wouldnt do it. Much as I enjoy hunting, it is not worth risking my horse for! ...........but then I am a wuss, and wont jump anything I cant see both sides of (incase of bad landing ground/holes/ground falling away etc etc.....). Luckily the hunt I go out with dont have many jumps at all - only ditches, and I will do them all day!!

Mosh

Visit site
never, ever ever jump wire.
Someone i used to know jumped her horse overwirse and she nearly killed the horse
crazy.gif
there was gate 50 metres down the field
confused.gif

Lill

Visit site
What brought about me posting this, was seeing photos of an old friend jumping lots of wire fences on her page.

The horse she was jumping was no doubt careful but you could barely see the wire and i just thought it quite scary!

k9h

Visit site
Out in NZ all they jump is wire. They think we are mad for jumping solid fences that you can not see the other side of. They also say barbed wire is better to jump than the plain tight wire as barbed wire will snap should they catch it where as the plain tips them.

I have jumped wire out hunting & will/do if I have too. Only the staff do though the field do not follow.
Mind the first time I jumped wire I was aming at a hunt jump, but horse infront had turned left after jumping & the one I was on turned left before the jump, just locked his jaw. I just sat there thinking he will stop at the 4' wire with a ditch either side (I can then represent at the huntjump) but no over we went!