Juno stars at foundation agility *pictures

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
For the last few weeks we've been attending foundation agility classes, I've finally found a trainer that we've really clicked with. We've been working on the various different commands and last night we put a small course together.

This was the start, we put the dog in place and get them to wait while we move on to the first part of the course. Our first part was heel work weaving through cones but we didn't get any pictures of that. Juno waited politely until I started her, but our heel work was probably the weakest part of the course for us, so that's the main focus of our homework this week.

The next obstacle was a hoop followed by a pile of boxes, again Juno waited politely and then came straight through the hoop and over the boxes. At the other end, we have to get them to wait with their back feet on the last box.

To be continued in a moment as it's max 4 pics per post!

Last edited:

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
There were 2 mats which required a stop and either a sit or a down, then the last line which was poles and a short tunnel. Juno took ut all in her stride and raced through them. Unfortunately no pics of her going through the obstacles.

Agility requires some quite specific hand/eye coordination so I'm learning as much as she is!

Cahill

Visit site
that looks like `fun-agility`?
in agility foundation work you would not expect to see any obstacles, only wings, and would be working on circle work and drive but nice dog btw.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
that looks like `fun-agility`?
in agility foundation work you would not expect to see any obstacles, only wings, and would be working on circle work and drive but nice dog btw.
Why's that? My trainer competes at agility so one assumes she knows what she's doing, but as I'm only going to be doing it for fun it doesn't really matter.

bonny

Visit site
I’ve no idea either way but what is the point of agility training with no obstacles as described by Cahill ?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
for young dogs that shouldn't be jumping yet.
There's no jumping though, everything is on the ground.

We've been working on circles, turns, checks round wings, start positions etc etc. This was week 4 and were just gradually putting bits and pieces together, and it was also to keep the dogs watching calm whilst one ran through the course.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
There's no jumping though, everything is on the ground.

We've been working on circles, turns, checks round wings, start positions etc etc. This was week 4 and were just gradually putting bits and pieces together, and it was also to keep the dogs watching calm whilst one ran through the course.

I wasn't passing judgement, just replying to bonny.

Clodagh

Visit site
She looks wonderful. Remind me how old she is? I met a 5 month old smooth border pup the other day, she will be working sheep when she is older, she was amazing. Like quicksilver, and into everything, yet so bright and aware. I would love one for dogging in.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
She looks wonderful. Remind me how old she is? I met a 5 month old smooth border pup the other day, she will be working sheep when she is older, she was amazing. Like quicksilver, and into everything, yet so bright and aware. I would love one for dogging in.
She's 10 months now, only a few weeks until she's one! Shes such a clever dog, with a total natural herding instinct and desire to work, I wish I had the talent and facilities to train her to sheep, she'd excel at it. If you ever decide to get a pup, it would definitely be worth getting in touch with FW to see if she's having another litter. Added bonus that she's stunningly beautiful and unusual as well.

Clodagh

Visit site
She's 10 months now, only a few weeks until she's one! Shes such a clever dog, with a total natural herding instinct and desire to work, I wish I had the talent and facilities to train her to sheep, she'd excel at it. If you ever decide to get a pup, it would definitely be worth getting in touch with FW to see if she's having another litter. Added bonus that she's stunningly beautiful and unusual as well.

My husband would evict me. He would never have a collie, as he sees so many round here with problems, but I am sure with a working or busty life they are fine. (My mother has rehomed a few over the years).

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
My husband would evict me. He would never have a collie, as he sees so many round here with problems, but I am sure with a working or busty life they are fine. (My mother has rehomed a few over the years).
It would be worth It, they're fantastic dogs 🤣🤣 we don't give her that busy a life, but she's pretty good and we don't have any real problems with her, a few challenges to overcome but you always have that with puppies.

Cahill

Visit site
this is just my opinion but the pictures show what i would class as an obstacle course,nothing wrong with that as interactions and doing games are all beneficial.
a hoop like that will never be encountered on an agility course,so while it is a `fun`thing to do,a proper tyre jump will have to be trained and may even lead to problems as the dog would have no respect for a flimsy hoop.
there are two ends of the spectrum,at the bottom end you hear of such horrors as unsafe equipment (have seen a fun class with gloss painted dog walk),dogs being dragged up and over equipment on leads.often seen at `have a go` shows.
at the top end is proper foundation work involving creating drive,tug play,core strenght etc where equipment doesnt come into it untill all this foundation work is in place.
some people say they just want to do it for fun then when they get the bug a lot of relearning has to go on so much better to do it all proper in the first place.
one of our countries best is dave munnings q-me agility.take time to look at the video,it`s a proper eye opener for pet handlers.

hope this explains my viewpoint of if it is worth doing,it is worth doing properly.

my first agility dog did not have this basic foundation work and whilst we have worked up the grades,he runs as fast as me,we could do better if he had more independence and drive.
my other dog is more independent and i know more now so i do not have to be a top speed runner as i can send him away from me.

another interesting new sport is canine hoopers which all age dogs can do as it is minimal impact.
here is a really good example of distance control and an experienced dog..

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
That's interesting Cahill, and what a video, thanks for sharing. To be fair, the course is marketed as fun obedience with agility foundations, and this was our first sight of any equipment except cones for wing wraps and boxes for back feet. I know I'm never going to take agility seriously, I'm doing it to give Juno an out for her brain and energy, and I don't have the time or patience to train her well enough.

Cahill

Visit site
i only started for fun,then there was a club fun show,then a local show.....haha hooked.

agility is my love now but we do lots other things as well-canix,rallyO,hoopers,scent trail, and other bits like round a tree,pose for camera,send to mat,biscuit on nose,all good fun.it`s like they get up in the morning and `what are we doing today yippee`
it`s really good how they can swap from canix running to heelwork,they know the job and there is no conflict.

my friend who is just starting her agility journey was very wary about playing tug as she thought it would make her dog possessive over a toy.she visited a show with me and was amazed at how people warm the dogs up and get them focused.

good luck with whatever you do.a busy dog is a happy dog X