Just a bit of fun . . . horsey lingo

PolarSkye

Visit site
And, please, I don't want to hear "we've had this thread already . . . " . . . don't be grumps, either join in or pass on by . . .

I was thinking about this the other day when I was mucking out (as you do) and then lo and behold it's in H&H . . . actually I was thinking about how all sports/activities have their own language and how odd they must seem to "outsiders" (my brother is into road cycling and we compare notes). So what horsey phrases do you inadvertently use in non-horsey company that receive either a blank stare or a :eek: . . . . or just those that you wouldn't want to repeat in public b/c they'd be completely misconstrued?

Here are some of mine:

(to Kal) "let me ride you"
"he's not off my leg"
"he's a little nappy"
"he needs to come through from behind"

Yours?

P

Lolo

Visit site
"Give him some head!"
I kept panicking on take off and setting my hands in my poor horse's neck so he wasn't getting the freedom he wanted....

Spotsrock

Visit site
'A real beau' has been adopted by my close friends. Means a real brave trier of a horse but not a cuddler.

On the forehand is the horsey equivalent of the off side rule ime

be positive

Visit site
He is green, gets blank looks most people cannot imagine that horses could be that colour:D
He is rather fresh.

The other thing I am always being asked is why do they get clipped in the winter but not summer, never easy to explain to a person that has no knowledge of horses.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I got a strange look - and I was in horsey company
Mucking out and sweeping up, I said,
'Hang on, I've got some poolets to pick up'!!

What do YOU call little bits of individual poo? lol

And then I misunderstood the comment from the vet regarding scanning a mare when he said the mare was only 2.5cm..... I thought hang on, she isn't in foal yet (thinking of human dilation!) then cottoned on to the size of her follicles! DOH

But my non horsey OH always smirks when I ask him to pass my whip and/or spurs - typical bloke! He also can't comprehend why a 'rear' is front end up when in his eyes a rear should be to to the the 'rear of the horse' - I can half see his point!?!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I find the one that raises most questions is

' I just lunged him last night'

no one gets it and it sounds a bit dodgy to boot :eek:

CeeBee

Visit site
Here is my dilemma - perfectly innocent phrases 'most' on here -

• I had a nice quiet ride on Harvey
  • I'm not keen on jumping on Harvey
  • Harvey put a couple of big bucks when I was riding him the other day
  • I struggle to mount Harvey as he is so big...
The list goes on.

My problem is that I work with 7 men and my boss is called ...
yes you've guessed it - Harvey!

fabscd

Visit site
I always say when i am going to the yard 'i'm off to do the horses' or 'i've just got to do my horses then i'll be there' that gets me a LOT of odd looks!
Whips, spurs and bits always get sniggers. I was having this conversation with a Polo player friend of mine, in Polo 'Get on your man!!!' is quite often heard at full volume being bawled across the field (referring to 'marking' your opposing player)

Odd Socks

Visit site
"Whips, spurs and a good hard ride" was on the back of our uni equestrian soc tshirts when I was president :) love it :)

Give him a smack
Just doing the horses
"I always ride him in spurs to curb his behaviour" has got a few odd looks too
Also my OH can't get his head around that a chestnut is not brown hehe

hest

Visit site
What do YOU call little bits of individual poo? lol
/QUOTE]

LOL I can't think of any description better than 'poolets'. What a truly inspired term. I may have to steal it :D

On the same subject, in our house we call those irritating bobbles or balls of black fluff that collect on the carpet 'sock poo'. :)

Business

Visit site
I click my car when it's sluggish. You know the noise you make to encourage a horse to move forwards.

Did this with a car full of Uni lecturers and researchers- one responded:

"God, do you treat everything like it's a horse"

I replied "It's when I start screaming woah at it you've got to worry"

Small giggle slowley turned into rawcus laughter from all passengers.

htobago

Visit site
Some of these are making me laugh out loud!

Once I was hosing a horse's foreleg, having felt some heat in it.

Non-horsey visitor: Why are you watering that horse?

Me: He's got a leg.

Non-horsey visitor (very puzzled): Er, looks to me like it's got four legs?!

maresmaid

Visit site
This has given me a new insight into our everyday terminology! - how about when we say that a horse with a "lazy" trot "isn't really going forward" - when it is quite clearly moving in a "forwardly " direction.

lea840

Visit site
The best one I've heard was whilst watching a showing class and a mother shouted to her young daughter... "Tit's and teeth dear... tit's and teeth" I was howling stood next to her, she gave me cuch a funny look ha ha ha

Shantara

Visit site
These are so funny!

I often humanise Ned far too much when I talk about him and I have been asked if he was my boyfriend or my child :eek: :eek:!!!!! No! He's a bloomin' horse!!

I don't blame them though "Ned was a real sweetheart today, he gave me a little kiss before I tucked him into bed" Or "Ned was AWFUL today! He would not listen to me! He threw such a strop and even headbutted me!!"