Just added up the costs this year!

spookypony

Visit site
I reckon on 300/month maintenance costs to keep 3 (2 ridden, one companion) at home. About 1/2 of that is hay: I have to feed it all year round, as mine don't get grass. I also count annual jabs/dentist, hoof trimmer, worming, and feed. Competition costs, lessons, memberships, equipment and diesel I count extra.

It seems to me that for two horses, keeping at home is roughly the same cost as grass livery. For any more than 2, keeping at home would be cheaper.

Cowpony

Visit site
Nononononononono please don't take me there! Lalalalalalalala!!!!!! Mine has been out of action all year, has cost £2000 in vet's fees alone and I've done little more than walk in straight lines on her. Plus OH has started to ride and prefers private lessons :eek3::eek3:

Firefly9410

Visit site
Costs me about 3.5k for two unshod horses on DIY livery. I am ok with that. Sometimes think I would love full livery, but as that would be closer to 5k each and IME horses on full livery are often not looked after properly, I will be sticking with DIY. I never minded adding it all up. I felt it was sensible to ensure I could afford it. If I did not add it up I would panic for sure.

Spring Feather

Visit site
My horses are my business so every year I get the 'luxury' of seeing how much money is spent on the horses when the annual accounts are done. The enormous expense is only mitigated by the fact that they make more money than I spend on them.

Bedlam

Visit site
I share a rather good eventer and one of her offspring. The other one I own outright. Because I share 2 of them I know exactly down to the last penny what they cost me because I pay all the bills and then bill my 'partner' for her share at the end of every month. I can tell you that it costs around £10k to keep an eventer running with a pro for a year..........! We're having a month financial respite right now as she's out all hairy and muddy on her hols at the moment. But vet and farrier booked for tomorrow for teeth and feet and then she's on her way back to work for her Novice 6 yr old season on New Year's Day. Must be mad......