Just another gimmick?... or not? The 'equicore concept'

Bustalot

Visit site
Stumbled across this on the web :

http://equicoreconcepts.com/index.html

Another training aid to add to many already on the market or something new and unique? .. Discuss

I see it as just another training aid to many that are already available. Still not to be replaced with correct schooling and improving the horses way of going through work and different exercises. I think many novicey people will see this and thing it is will be the answer to all their problems.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My physio has seen these demonstrated and said they will have a role in sport horse management don't know much more than that though.

Goldenstar

Visit site
seen it before, done it myself with tail bandages tied to each other - only for lunge work though, not sure i'd want to be in the saddle...!

Yes so have have I and used physio tape to.
So I see that it will certainly help develop core strength .
My physio was interested in them I must ask her if she got one.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
seen it before, done it myself with tail bandages tied to each other - only for lunge work though, not sure i'd want to be in the saddle...!

This ^^^

I have made my own version in the past with tail bandages to wrap behind for when riding. Am not quite sure that the belly strap is a good idea and was not surprised to read the disclaimers on the website with regards to not desensitising your horse etc. As a theraputic aid then it has some merit but wouldn't really want to use it ridden. TBH once you get to that stage then then really you should be able to ride from the leg to hand to engage the hindquarters which is more difficult to achieve if you are just lungeing with just one rein.

MCTM

Visit site
Well I will admit I have just got one. My mare has just been diagnosed with kissing spines and my physio recommended this to me as part of the management programme. I did try a DIY version using a theraband round the quarters but I struggled to find a way to secure the abdominal strap so that it wouldn't slip and become a bucking strap, or be too loose which wouldn't have any effect in engaging the abs and lifting the back. Tried it out for the first time yesterday and she was quite happy with it, just need to get physio to check I've got the tension right. So time will tell as to whether I have "mug" written on my forehead or whether it will be a valuable piece of kit......

Orangehorse

Visit site
The Tellington-Touch use "body wraps" which are extra wide bandages with the idea of making the horse aware of itself and to make them less spooky generally. Works well.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well I will admit I have just got one. My mare has just been diagnosed with kissing spines and my physio recommended this to me as part of the management programme. I did try a DIY version using a theraband round the quarters but I struggled to find a way to secure the abdominal strap so that it wouldn't slip and become a bucking strap, or be too loose which wouldn't have any effect in engaging the abs and lifting the back. Tried it out for the first time yesterday and she was quite happy with it, just need to get physio to check I've got the tension right. So time will tell as to whether I have "mug" written on my forehead or whether it will be a valuable piece of kit......

Do post your thoughts after you have used it a while I am really interested to hear how you get on ,may I ask what did it cost ?

kezimac

Visit site

please let us know how you get on - mine has kissing spines and it looks ok - how much are they as cant see prices anywhere?

MCTM

Visit site
I was asked to do an update on this piece of kit - I've been using it for about 6 weeks now and am really pleased. I can really feel a difference in the way she goes - and not just when using it. She is much more able to carry herself, especially in the canter. On the lunge you can really see that she is using her back better - it sort of compresses and lifts the spine slightly. She's going well on the flat - won at dressage the other week with 70% and her jumping is improved too (although I will give Corinne Bracken some of the recognition for that!). There is now a UK distributor so best to contact her for pricing (I bought from the US so had currency exchange to factor in). The rubber bands are much stronger than using a tail bandage, the fixings are easy (once the length has been set) and I believe the rubber against the skin stimulates the muscles to lift which may not happen so much with fabric (if I'm to believe the "blurb"!). So thumbs up from me at any rate.

kezimac

Visit site
What sort of cost are they - this sounds like would do my kissing spine horse some good but can't see a cost for uk - are they horridly expensive????

Nicnac

Visit site
The UK supplier doesn't even mention it on her website so not sure she actually sells them.

The US cost is $220 so around £135 at today's rate plus p&p I would guess quite hefty..... Seems a lot for a saddle mat and latex strips.....

My physio just recommended the Equiami as I was thinking of buying a Pessoa. Like OP never sure whether these things are gimmicks or not.

Think I may just stick to old fashioned methods!

MCTM

Visit site
I agree they are horribly expensive, I did think about cobbling something together with a saddle pad and strong therabands but in the end just didn't have the time to faff about. The advantage over a Pessoa or something similar is that I can ride in it - either with both bands or just the belly band. I think it's the latter which makes the difference and I don't know of any other piece of equipment which engages the abs as effectively (nor does my physio). At the end of the day if it works then its a lot cheaper than going down the surgical route or repeatedly medicating her back (which didn't make much difference anyway). I think my physio has several sets now which she "rents" to clients.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I can see why it would work, as similar to human resistance bands, making the muscles work more

Personally I'd prefer to see a horse in this than a pessoa

£135 is only 3 sessions of massage so not exactly expensive

kezimac

Visit site
Did u get from America as the link to the uk seems to not work- I might save up and get one as think would really benefit my girl - just having had kissing spine surgery

MCTM

Visit site
Yes, I got mine direct from the US, I sent the UK distributor an email last week about something but haven't had a reply. You could try ringing?

philamena

Visit site
Wonder whether this may be a (much) cheaper alternative, for those not planning to ride in it?

http://www.equi-measures.com/page3.html

£45 for the belly straps to use with your own lunge roller (and she says side reins, but I can *imagine* that if you used the belly straps with an equi ami to encourage the back end under without fixing the head, you could potentially get the best of both worlds?)

Carefreegirl

Visit site
A lady I knew used to use tubigrip, the elastic bandage you put on sprained wrists / ankles etc. Stronger than tail bandages and didn't slip.

My instructor noticed a massive difference in my horses back end and improved carriage after using a pessoa for lunging. I hadn't had a lesson for a few months and due to lack of light (winter time) I'd lunged a few times a week. I should imagine that you'd get exactly the same results. If they were cheaper I'd buy one.

smac

Visit site
I agree they are horribly expensive, I did think about cobbling something together with a saddle pad and strong therabands but in the end just didn't have the time to faff about. The advantage over a Pessoa or something similar is that I can ride in it - either with both bands or just the belly band. I think it's the latter which makes the difference and I don't know of any other piece of equipment which engages the abs as effectively (nor does my physio). At the end of the day if it works then its a lot cheaper than going down the surgical route or repeatedly medicating her back (which didn't make much difference anyway). I think my physio has several sets now which she "rents" to clients.

I think I know which physio you have as she recommended it to me last week when she was out- I'm on the list to hire it lol. Might be quicker to buy one. Be interesting to know how you get on

s4horsedentist

New User
Visit site
Hi, how have you found your equi core band thingy? I'm a vet, and thought might try one on my boy who's had surgery on back suspensories. Very interested to know how yours witht kissing spine has progressed. Thank you!