Just backed youngster slipped over on the road today

Imogen Rose

Visit site
So I had a bit of a shock today, but thankfully everyone is ok!

I took my newly backed 3yr old for a short hack today, it's about her 10th walk out. We just pop to the woods up the road, have a walk round and come back.
She has been amazing at every step.

However today, she was walking quietly along, and suddenly fell heavily on her right side, all 4 legs swept out from underneath her. Literally walking in a straight line, paying attention and looking where she was going. She landed with my leg underneath her, and struggled to get back up. I managed to get my weight off her and she stood up, and for scared half to death as my foot was wedged in the stirrup, so I was hanging by my leg.
Because I have done so much work climbing through her legs, and 'falling off' to land at her feet, thankfully she stood still while I spent an eternity getting my foot out!!
An amazingly kind lady got her husband to walk her home for me, and drove me. I couldn't get back on as my leg hurt so much and I was worried she would slip again.
My massive concern now is that I can't figure out why she slipped, and if there's anything I can do to prevent it. She has amazing hard feet, that are a great shape, and she moves well. I do have hoof boots that may fit, if that may help?

Thanks for reading the essay!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think I would have a vet check her over and discuss the possibilities. Was there anything on the road - wet leaves, oil, something that she could have slid on? We once had one who fell over onto my sister's leg when she realised that they were going to be late arriving at the farrier's and asked him to quicken up, as they were dawdling. It surprised him so much that he fell over.

I hope your leg is ok and so is your horse.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
There is a new tarmac road surface that causes horses to slip. Several of our local lanes have been resurfaced with really slick tarmac.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
That must have been really scary You were very lucky my horse came down on my leg last year and my ankle was broken in 2 places, I hope your both ok might be worth getting the vet to check her over and get yourself checked if you are still hurting.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Get her checked out by a good physio or your vet.
I hope your on the mend .
Newly started horses sometimes just don’t have the reactions to keep their legs u Dee them when things go wrong while they are carrying your weight .
I hope you recover quickly .

Archangel

Visit site
My mare did exactly the same thing, it was a bit of slippy tarmac at a junction, think the cars must drop a bit of oil or something there. I got well and truly squished and kicked in the head because she hit the panic button, kept scrabbling to get up and falling back on top of me. Sigh. My other horse had slipped badly in exactly the same place the week before but I didn't think anything of it, being older he was more balanced and recovered himself. But a youngster just didn't have the balance/strength and down she went.

Your young mare was absolutely brilliant not to panic with a foot in the stirrup. Such a good girl to remember what you had taught her. I hope your leg is OK.

limestonelil

Visit site
Agree with earlier posts and hope you are both OK. Bit random but reminded me that my beautiful boy fell over on a hack on the moors, luckily just at walk. I found it disconcerting to say the least. However when I mentioned it to OH, the quad bike
had tipped in exactly the same place with him. Was the surface.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am sorry you both had such a scary experience and hope you are on the mend too.

For peace of mind I would call the vet, I doubt there is anything wrong with your horse, but it would be best to check. I would also have the physio to give the horse a check over and alleviate any soreness she has.

With an just backed baby on the road, I would presume she just got out of balance as she is not yet skilled at handling the rider on top. Once out of balance on the road slipping would be easy.

What a wonderful education you have given her that at just backed she is happy to walk out on her own, and even when it all went wrong, she waited to be rescued. Not many babies would wait on the roadside for your foot to be extricated.

For the future, I would have a safety stirrup which would release your foot. I never ride in standard stirrups any more after a friend was dragged 3 or 4 laps of the school. Awful.

For her, I would pick it up a few stages earlier, and especially practice mounting. I would have her learn to brace against your weight sideways at the mounting block. I would then to the lean side when ridden, making sure she is able to balance even if she is put off balance.

Before hacking I would inspect the road. If she is I shoes I would fit a road pin to the backs at least, to help her not lose her balance again and reinforce a bad experience. First hack out I would take a walker with me, just for company.

Most of all, knowing I was taking all precautions, I would out it out of my mind and not presume it will ever happen again.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
There is a new tarmac road surface that causes horses to slip. Several of our local lanes have been resurfaced with really slick tarmac.

Yes, we've had our roads done with it, it's lethal-even my unshod natives struggle with it-boots sort it. There's no way my LA would redo it just for me. Horrid experience op, hope there's no lasting damage.

meleeka

Visit site
I think that’s what our major roads have. Goodness knows how it’s going to be in the winter, because it looks awfully shiny and smooth. Thankfully it’s not made it to side roads yet.

OP - Hopefully just a one off and your horse isn’t affected too badly. Agree, what a great job you’ve done with her for her not to panic. I think safety stirrups are probably a good investment though.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
What's the horrid slippy tarmac surface called? It's one to look out for and try and prevent it being laid locally.
A road surace should be safe for all users, not just motorised vehicles, grr.

I don't know, can't imagine its expensive where we are, its hardly high priority.tbh its pretty lethal for cars and people too and with the slightest frost you literally cannot walk on it. luckily a large stretch of mine is usually covered in cow manure which helps.

Shay

Visit site
Almost all newly laid tarmac is slippy until it is scarred by use. We queried this when it was used in several pot hole type repairs locally and we were told by Highways Englnad that, althugh there is a type which is non slip for the day of laying, it is very expensive and does not last as long. The more grippy surface wears faster. The slip effect usually lasts a few weeks depending on the vehicle traffic. Certainly were were not successful as a Parish Council in causing the highways authority to use differnt tarmac - buty if anyone else has been please PM me!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
What's the horrid slippy tarmac surface called? It's one to look out for and try and prevent it being laid locally.
A road surace should be safe for all users, not just motorised vehicles, grr.

Stone mastic asphalt. I believe it is banned in Ireland due to concerns over slipping.

ETA: hope your ankle recovers ok OP. Your youngster really does sound beautifully well trained

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It's not that unusual for just-started youngsters to fall, it's just that they have no experience with the new balance of having a rider on top. I've had a couple tip over, usually at the walk; they just seem to get their legs in a muddle. I hope you, and the horse, are OK: a bit of stiffness is to be expected (for both of you).

And yes, the mastic surface has been discontinued here, it's lethal for horses.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes, we've had our roads done with it, it's lethal-even my unshod natives struggle with it-boots sort it. There's no way my LA would redo it just for me. Horrid experience op, hope there's no lasting damage.

Local councillor could show that there are a lot of horses in the ward. I think it might be a problem for motorbikes too.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Local councillor could show that there are a lot of horses in the ward. I think it might be a problem for motorbikes too.

there aren't though-its just me. I live on a loop of road about 10 miles round with maybe 5 households and two farms on, very little traffic other than some forestry and farm stuff. Its a very poor LA and the road was not fit for purpose before it was resurfaced so I am not about to complain

Imogen Rose

Visit site
Thankyou everyone for your replies, my lovely girl was absolutely fine today. She has a couple of scrapes on her legs but they aren't swollen and she isn't lame, still much to my releif and surprise!
I drove back to the place she fell this morning, and inspected the tarmac. I think it's the new mastic surface. It was very smooth and compact, with no grit or bits like I would expect. It has also only been down about a year, and is a small repair stretch.
I will be contacting the local authority tomorrow about it, as it's very heavily used by riders, as it connects two bridleways.
Thankyou for highlighting the possibility!

MuffettMischief

Visit site

Interesting you say that as the road outside our yard has just been resurfaced and it is horrific. We normally trot away from the yard as one can be a bit nappy but cant now as its too dangerous, even with road nails!

Ellietotz

Visit site
Interesting you say that as the road outside our yard has just been resurfaced and it is horrific. We normally trot away from the yard as one can be a bit nappy but cant now as its too dangerous, even with road nails!

That's so awful.

I hope they don't put anything like that round here.
OP I'm glad you both are okay. Let us know how you get on with reporting it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
there aren't though-its just me. I live on a loop of road about 10 miles round with maybe 5 households and two farms on, very little traffic other than some forestry and farm stuff. Its a very poor LA and the road was not fit for purpose before it was resurfaced so I am not about to complain

I meant my local councillor!

OP I'm glad she's feeling ok.

Chippers1

Visit site

Oh no, the road outside our yard is being done at the moment, I hope we don't get this surface :eek:
Helpfully they also decided originally that they were going to close the whole lane - the only access we have to the yard is this lane :rolleyes: they've now agreed to keep one end open for access - but it's a gamble as to which one it will be at the time, bit scary as both ends are connected to a 70mph A road! Don't you just love councils.

Fransurrey

Visit site
If you have hoof boots to fit her and are still worried, try adding ice spikes. They're little cleats sold from the US (but shipped worldwide). I use them in my trail running shoes and on hoof boots. Can't ride out in winter without them, round here. If it's not ice, it mud on the roads, or slippy grass! They're on offer for Black Friday at the moment, with 20 % off. I put six in each boot.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Helpfully they also decided originally that they were going to close the whole lane - the only access we have to the yard is this lane :rolleyes: they've now agreed to keep one end open for access - but it's a gamble as to which one it will be at the time, bit scary as both ends are connected to a 70mph A road! Don't you just love councils.

similar to where I am. they didnt tell us they were doing it, we got up one morning to find we were unable to get to work lol.