Just been bolted with acoss the Mendips - no joke - Help!

Flicker

Visit site
Rather than putting more metal in his mouth, you could maybe try some ground work and desesitsation. Get everything you know sets him off and make him work through it slowly one thing at a time. If he is confident in life, he won't need to bolt.
Of course you want to get to the bottom of why he is doing it, but you also want to be safe if he does do it. Groundwork not much help when you're being tanked across the Mendips at 30mph.
From the threads so far it looks like the OP is trying to ascertain the cause of the behaviour so that she can address this too.
But in situations like this, safety is paramount.
OP, a few years ago I was bringing a horse back into work following 3 months box rest for ligament sprain. My vet wanted him hacked for a month to build strength before he could be turned out (yeah, I was bricking it!!). My trainer lent me an American gag, with a very long shank, and off we went... We came across 10 scramble bikes on our first hack and I felt him kind of rise up underneath me. One close of my fingers on the reins though and he came right back to me! They are VERY strong bits, but the upside is that you don't need much pull to get the horse to sit up and take notice. Maybe another option to consider?
Hope you get the problem sorted - very scary!

Goldenstar

Visit site
You have to be safe and if a big bit is necessary so be it .
I would go for a Waterford gag with cheeks .
But to be honest a horse would only get one chance to behave like that here then it would get everything thrown at it ,second offence and it would be down the road .
It's potential life taking behaviour for you and for innocent bystanders .

Charlottedv

Visit site
My cob went through a phase of tanking off a few years ago, I accidentally taught her how by cantering everytime her feet hit grass in certain places on hacks and on the gallops. One week in a Waterford and she's never done it since, back to a French link snaffle at all times. Good luck! It's so scary when they get out of control x

irishdraft

Visit site
I have an ID that I hunt a bit he will grab the bit & tank although I didn't want to do it I put him in a Waterford 3 ring gag & he is now manageable as he is unable to really get a hold on the bit he also blocks his neck on the right so no steering but the Waterford has also got this under control

Helenx

Visit site
Hi All,

After over 3 years, I thought all the helpful people who gave such great advice back in 2016 after my "horror ride" (flat out gallop across the Mendips - remember?!) might like an update... I have often thought back to the advice I got on here and have been SO grateful for the support and tips and tricks people gave.

Jacob and I are still together. Happily hacking and riding almost daily.

He was put onto a Magnesium calmer and WOW did that help. He chilled out in a matter of days. A local farmer later told me that our area is massively deficient in magnesium and all his cattle need a magnesium supplement, so why not the horses? Anyway it certainly helps us and if I run out I soon see the difference. It has also helped a bunch of other people on the yard I am at now (we moved yards since the "horror ride").

We have invested in a lot of lessons with an excellent instructor and his flat work has come on no end. We now hack out in our French Link snaffle and cavesson noseband - incredible! Alone and in company. I would never have believed it. I still have the pelham but it is getting very dusty!

We have embarked on a very unimpressive Unaff Intro/Prelim dressage career and picked up a couple of ribbons at a few competitions (mainly where no one else turned up!) and been to a few local shows and riding club sessions. So far, no more tanking off! The occasional canter sideway at a particularly scary plastic bag, but always managed to get him back to me one way or another. The nose to the stirrup technique has been successfully employed on a couple of occasions, but not for a long while.

So thanks again for your help and support in my hour of need. Let's hope he doesn't read this and tank off with me next weekend....

xx

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Best advice I was given for a bolter and it bloody works when you need it most ! when he spins count to four then both hands on one rein pull his nose around in to your stirrup. Keep your balance by putting some of your weight into the opposite stirrup. Basically disunites the back end so they can't gallop on. I really was on uneasy about giving it ago and you are best to practice in a school so they get used to. But it works and saved me loads of times. My most frightening episode nearly bolting across a busy main road I was ready to chuck myself off, I thought I can't go on like this and got some help as my confidence was the gutter. Good luck

Yep this is the advice I was given, can remember it from when I was a kid from my friend's dad who was a MFH in those days.

I've never had to use it for a bolter, thank god, but did find it a useful tool for when my old boy would nap/plant and refuse to go forward out hacking, or started backing into stupid things like open ditches; I had a professional helping me at the time and she said to do it - and then to ask the horse to go forward, as it gives them the opportunity to do what you want whereas the alternative is to be very uncomfortable indeed!

Re. bitting: TBH, my gut feeling is that if the horse really wants to go, then he'll go......... and yes whilst a more severe bit might provide a "fix", the real issues i.e. respecting his rider and staying with the situation, is the real problem, and might need to be tackled by different means. Personally I would either ask a professional to help with this horse, OR seriously consider whether there might be someone for whom he is better suited. Basically, at the end of the day, you have to consider your own safety, and also that of others who might have been in the vicinity. A "bolting" horse is a danger to itself, its rider, and anyone else who's in the way, especially if anywhere near a road........

(Edited): Have just realised this is an old post which has been resurrected!! And that all has worked out well for the OP! Fantastic.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Op, that’s amazing! I was reading through this having not realised it was an old thread and feeling really bad for you! My horse is known for doing this although 🤞 he’s not done it yet with me. I did have an episode I think came very close last week but I got off before he had a chance (I posted a thread about it at the time!)
Your update gives me huge hope!
Best wishes, hope things continue to go well for you both :)

Bernster

Visit site
Wondered why this zombie thread had come back but great to read your update. Interesting how significant the supplement was - you should write them a review !

Helenx

Visit site
Thanks All, glad you liked the update and hope you like the pics. Sorry for the mega resurrection of such an old thread (and any confusion caused!). So often you never find out the outcome of these things and I felt I owed it to all the people that got involved at the time to let them know that we have survived. Hopefully also to inspire anyone experiencing similar issues to keep on trying and hopefully you'll get there. xx

Frumpoon

Visit site
Best advice I was given for a bolter and it bloody works when you need it most ! when he spins count to four then both hands on one rein pull his nose around in to your stirrup. Keep your balance by putting some of your weight into the opposite stirrup. Basically disunites the back end so they can't gallop on. I really was on uneasy about giving it ago and you are best to practice in a school so they get used to. But it works and saved me loads of times. My most frightening episode nearly bolting across a busy main road I was ready to chuck myself off, I thought I can't go on like this and got some help as my confidence was the gutter. Good luck

The one rein stop.....always a great idea but you need to be quick

Lois Lame

Visit site
Bizarrely the thing that seems to set him off, even in his field is simply people walking. He spooked at a massive blue tarpaulin blowing in the wind last weekend, but just kept an eye (and ear!) fixed on it as he pranced past, then settled again. People go past on a footpath near his field and he goes round like an idiot until they go. I bought him at 18 months wild off the moor, so I wonder if a group of people did something to freak him out as a baby that has stuck with him.

I knew this was an old thread but read it as I hadn't seen it before. Lovely that your fellow is going well.

I don't want to sound like a wet blanket but I'm wondering if the problem went away because you and Jacob no longer come across the same scene of people wandering about on the moor. Er... or on a footpath next to his paddock. It seems highly unlikely to me (that you wouldn't see this) but I'm curious. When I read how fearful he was of this sight, it seemed to make sense. As you say, he might have had a frightening experience before you got him.

littleshetland

Visit site
Have a look at the feed regime he's on? I personally would just stick to places where he's least likely to do it (country lanes, small roads?) and gradually start asking for faster work in safer places - up steep hills or narrow tracks where you can 'stuff' him into a hedge if he gets hold. Also, I found a waterford bit handy when I had one like yours.