• Under £1000

Votes: 61 73.5%
  • Over £5000

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Lottie555

Visit site
Hi, little bit of background.
I’ve just bought a horse and I want to know how much you think he should have sold for / how much you’d pay.
he was sold from field, unfit and hadn’t been ridden in months. He was at a sales livery. He’s 16.2hh, dark bay, ISH, gelding. He had a strangles test and it came back negative but another infection came back positive.
he has a past injury which I was told doesn’t effect him at all but it fills in the stable when he’s not turned out and doesn’t like it being touched but he’s not lame on it. The scar is big. I got told he had no vices but he kicks his scarred leg out at the farrier when being shod, he came CEMENTED in mug, conjunctivitis in both eyes and skinny (could see ribs and hip bones) first time I rode he took one step and went rodeo style and decked me. (I lunged him for 20 mins before I got on) since then I’ve ridden 5 more times and been totally fine but very spooky and jittery but I have to lunge him for 20/30 mins before I get on or he’s far too hot to ride. I was not told about any vices but he doesn’t like being tacked up, is very head shy and as said isn’t very good with the farrier.

Attachments

• 1E468E75-2E88-4488-944D-79EF2D8D182F.jpeg
    1E468E75-2E88-4488-944D-79EF2D8D182F.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 308
  • C9FBDCD1-55E5-4279-9342-6FF499E68D4C.jpeg
    C9FBDCD1-55E5-4279-9342-6FF499E68D4C.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 327
  • CBF026AC-AD83-4FCB-8989-722E17CCB6C4.jpeg
    CBF026AC-AD83-4FCB-8989-722E17CCB6C4.jpeg
    729.2 KB · Views: 334
  • C0B66F3D-8817-4821-BEE9-F113270A2E0D.jpeg
    C0B66F3D-8817-4821-BEE9-F113270A2E0D.jpeg
    729.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 35129BE0-0D6D-4FBD-BBFE-B32F0B0C4E9B.jpeg
    35129BE0-0D6D-4FBD-BBFE-B32F0B0C4E9B.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 325
  • 65E0637D-78BE-4F62-8023-3FE36FD787B4.jpeg
    65E0637D-78BE-4F62-8023-3FE36FD787B4.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 327
  • DC4CDC97-2FEB-4AA6-8D6C-0C157574764D.jpeg
    DC4CDC97-2FEB-4AA6-8D6C-0C157574764D.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 314

Lottie555

Visit site
Is this for some sort of refund-the-difference dispute with the seller? I don't know that these agreements are legally enforceable.
Is this for some sort of refund-the-difference dispute with the seller? I don't know that these agreements are legally enforceable.
They signed a contract saying he was healthy and the scar was just cosmetic. I asked them to just cover the vet bill for £250 or have him back as per our contract and they’re ignoring me

Lottie555

Visit site
Zero, sorry. Wouldn't touch a horse with big scar or an infection.

Did you buy him unseen?
Yea they signed a contract which they’re in breach of and I didn’t know he had conjunctivitis and the other virus has been treated as well as the conjunctivitis and all I want is the vet bills covered and they’re ignoring me

Zero, sorry. Wouldn't touch a horse with big scar or an infection.

Did you buy him unseen?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Maybe you will have luck as it was sales livery, but generally I don't think these kinds of things go in the buyers favour. If you want to make sure the horse is what you expect, you go see it and/or get it vetted.

If you've not had him long, poss could try distance selling regs

smolmaus

Visit site
They signed a contract saying he was healthy and the scar was just cosmetic. I asked them to just cover the vet bill for £250 or have him back as per our contract and they’re ignoring me
If the bill is £250 and you want to keep the horse I would just leave it and tell the story to anyone you know wants to buy off him. If that is the total bill in the end to get him right.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
He's a sweet looking fellow so if I had a load of time on my hands I suppose I might take him on as a project and pay a few hundred.

But (from your description) I would buy absolutely expecting a boat load of problems that I wasn't told about/that the sales livery didn't even have full knowledge of.

Incidentally, given that he hasn't been ridden for a decent chunk of time (presumably could be a lot longer than the few months you were told), then it would probably have been better to restart him properly rather than just jumping on board. If you keep him I would take a few steps back and put some slow conditioning work into him for a couple of months before you try to do much more with him. He has very little condition on his top line and being ridden may well be quite uncomfortable for him at the moment.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
There wasn't a box for zero. I would not have paid for this horse. That seems to have been your question.

I paid for one out of work last year. I was assured that he was quiet etc, so I asked to see him sat on, and I wanted to sit as well. The owner got on in the yard, walked a couple of steps, got off, I got on, walked round a field, got off. He wouldn't have been fit to do anything else, but, I was satisfied that he was as described. I was prepared to work round his other many physical issues, and did not vet. I was looking for a horse who did not need lungeing before riding, although when I was younger this would not have bothered me. I would not have done this for a sporty young horse or one with no history. He was straight from a loving home.

With your horse...

The mud is not relevant IMO. Horses do get muddy!

He is lean but I would not class that as underweight. I would prefer to get one in this condition than a fat porker.

If you had the horse vetted, the conjunctivitis should have been seen. That said, this is the type of illness I would expect in horse ownership and would just treat, I would not personally go chasing a vet to sort it out.

The scar was declared. It is big. However, you say the horse is sound, so I can see why they said it does not affect him. The kicking out could be because he remembers it being handled when sore, or it could still be sore to touch. How long ago was the issue?

I paid rather a lot of money for a sports horse with a worse scar. It too would fill in that leg if he was in for too long, but I don't regret the money I paid. He was in the 5 figures bracket. The leg was never lame.

The riding, if he only bucked the first time you sat and then has been fine 5 times since, I think you have got off lightly for a bought from the field horse. It sounds like you need some input from a trainer to help sort out the spookiness, but 6 rides is very early on in re-starting a sporty horse who has been off for a long time. I would beware of too much lungeing when the horse is not fit, especially if he was off for the leg injury.

Again, I would get the input of a trainer as it sounds like you are a little out of your depth.

Last edited:

Trouper

Visit site
He looks like a nice sort of chap that you could do a lot with and, for me, part of the joy of horse ownership is caring for the horse to get and keep him in really good health. Personally, I would find a lot of satisfaction in sorting the issues out knowing that I was giving him a better life - and he would repay you in more than money could buy.

To answer your query - whatever I paid for him I would just chalk up to one of life's experiences.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Zero and I'm very sorry but I predict he's going to cost you a lot more yet in vet bills. For a start I think he'll probably need a full workup for pain somewhere and I would want back x rays.

There is always a reason why horses are sold "from the field" and in my experience it will normally be because there's an issue, simply because a horse that can be shown with a rider on is worth so much more money.

ETA I'm sorry to sound so blunt but I could your "how much is he worth" poll a very strange way to attempt to address this horses issues.

Last edited:

ImmyS

Visit site
I didn’t though, they lied completely about him

I think the issue is if you buy unseen you need multiple pictures, videos showing feet, limbs, every inch of the horse really and to get it vetted.

Although there would still be risk involved - If you don’t do the above things to mitigate the risks then I think you have to accept there may well be issues and to only pay for the horse what you can afford to lose.

Lottie555

Visit site
There wasn't a box for zero. I would not have paid for this horse. That seems to have been your question.

I paid for one out of work last year. I was assured that he was quiet etc, so I asked to see him sat on, and I wanted to sit as well. The owner got on in the yard, walked a couple of steps, got off, I got on, walked round a field, got off. He wouldn't have been fit to do anything else, but, I was satisfied that he was as described. I was prepared to work round his other many physical issues, and did not vet. I was looking for a horse who did not need lungeing before riding, although when I was younger this would not have bothered me. I would not have done this for a sporty young horse or one with no history. He was straight from a loving home.

With your horse...

The mud is not relevant IMO. Horses do get muddy!

He is lean but I would not class that as underweight. I would prefer to get one in this condition than a fat porker.

If you had the horse vetted, the conjunctivitis should have been seen. That said, this is the type of illness I would expect in horse ownership and would just treat, I would not personally go chasing a vet to sort it out.

The scar was declared. It is big. However, you say the horse is sound, so I can see why they said it does not affect him. The kicking out could be because he remembers it being handled when sore, or it could still be sore to touch. How long ago was the issue?

I paid rather a lot of money for a sports horse with a worse scar. It too would fill in that leg if he was in for too long, but I don't regret the money I paid. He was in the 5 figures bracket. The leg was never lame.

The riding, if he only bucked the first time you sat and then has been fine 5 times since, I think you have got off lightly for a bought from the field horse. It sounds like you need some input from a trainer to help sort out the spookiness, but 6 rides is very early on in re-starting a sporty horse who has been off for a long time. I would beware of too much lungeing when the horse is not fit, especially if he was off for the leg injury.

Again, I would get the input of a trainer as it sounds like you are a little out of your depth.
UPDATE-
I have Treated the conjunctivitis and I’ve had him 1 month, I did not jump straight on, I was long reining him before (I got his eyes treated before I did anything) and then sat on him and have only walked him and been sat on him for less than 15 mins. This post was because I wanted to know if I’d gotten completely ripped off because the sales livery lied about so much, I paid over £4K as they blew smoke into my eyes and send old videos. I would never give him back to the old owners as he was neglected and I think abused as he is terrified of everything. I’m more than happy with the work I’ve got to put into him. All I wanted was for the old owners to cover the vet bill as it was £485 then another £250 and all I asked was the £250 from them. He’s in much better condition now. The poll was simply to gauge what others would’ve paid given the small information I was told - the sales livery had great reviews and therefore I didn’t mind buying unseen with a signed contract in place but the owners are ignoring me regarding all the lies I was told. I was told he was just slightly unfit and that was his only issue. The mud was not irrelevant as it was literally cemented into his fur, main and tail, his main and tail we matted completely and he had mud fever too. The poor thing hadn’t seen a brush in months I don’t think personally that’s why I mentions it as it wasn’t like a weeks worth of mud, it was 6cm thick mud. I have no intention of giving him back ect. This was simply to ask what others would’ve paid before knowing all the baggage that came along with him.

ycbm

Visit site
I have to lunge him for 20/30 mins before I get on or he’s far too hot to ride. I was not told about any vices but he doesn’t like being tacked up

Did you have him vetted?

All of this screams "horse in pain" to me. By the way, neither kicking the farrier nor not liking being tacked up are vices. You were told he had no vices, from what you describe, he doesn't.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
I paid over £4K

For a badly scarred horse who has been laid off and can't be shown being ridden? I'm so sorry, you've been shafted. Sadly, I think you will be lucky if you end up with a rideable horse, but I'd definitely be looking at a performance workup and probably back x rays for a horse which has been brought steadily back into work but has to be warmed up on the lunge for half an hour before he can be sat on and even then is still jittery under saddle.

Lottie555

Visit site
I think the issue is if you buy unseen you need multiple pictures, videos showing feet, limbs, every inch of the horse really and to get it vetted.

Although there would still be risk involved - If you don’t do the above things to mitigate the risks then I think you have to accept there may well be issues and to only pay for the horse what you can afford to lose.
Yes I understand that i saw videos but they were clearly old ones and I asked for pictures of him trotting up and things but he doesn’t look neglected in them, then he came off the box
Did you have him vetted?

All of this screams "horse in pain" to me. By the way, neither kicking the farrier nor not liking being tacked up are vices. You were told he had no vices, from what you describe, he doesn't.
i asked about vices or any issues and they said no. They’re issues to me. And I’ve had his back checked and the vet out for his leg and both came back okay. I still need to get the dentist out just waiting on that. Again I’m happy to put the work in I only wanted to gauge what people would’ve paid out of curiosity

Lottie555

Visit site
For a badly scarred horse who has been laid off and can't be shown being ridden? I'm so sorry, you've been shafted. Sadly, I think you will be lucky if you end up with a rideable horse, but Id definitely be looking at a performance workup and probably back x rays for a horse which had been brought steadily back into work but has to be warmed up on the lunge for half an hour before he can be sat on and even then is still jittery under saddle.
Yeah think so too, again they signed a contract saying the scar was cosmetic and didn’t effect and he was great under saddle, just been out of work for 3 months due to no rider and that’s why he was at a sales livery. The sales livery had good reviews so I was surprised with all the lies.

ycbm

Visit site
i asked about vices or any issues and they said no. They’re issues to me. And I’ve had his back checked and the vet out for his leg and both came back okay. I still need to get the dentist out just waiting on that. Again I’m happy to put the work in I only wanted to gauge what people would’ve paid out of curiosity

He doesn't have any vices from what you describe. Not liking how he behaves is not the same as having vices. How he behaves screams pain to me, have you had him scoped for ulcers, that behaviour is typical of them. But they usually result from pain elsewhere.

You can't check a back without x rays, were those done?

Lottie555

Visit site
Zero and I'm very sorry but I predict he's going to cost you a lot more yet in vet bills. For a start I think he'll probably need a full workup for pain somewhere and I would want back x rays.

There is always a reason why horses are sold "from the field" and in my experience it will normally be because there's an issue, simply because a horse that can be shown with a rider on is worth so much more money.

ETA I'm sorry to sound so blunt but I could your "how much is he worth" poll a very strange way to attempt to address this horses issues.
Yeah I’ve had his back checked and vet out for his leg. Next step is X-rays. My poll was never to address his issues, I simply was curious what people would’ve paid for him. I’m getting all his issues sorted and I’m keeping him. Literally was just wanting to know

Lottie555

Visit site
Typically when you buy unseen or *from the field* you never actually know what you’re going to end up with.

If you couldn’t take the risk of the horse not being as described you should not have bought unseen or *from the field*. It is always a GAMBLE.
Yes I understand it’s a gamble just thought I had more security and honestly with him coming from a sales livery as they’re usually very honest but clearly not in this case. Either way I’m happy to put the work in and get him sorted just was curious

Lottie555

Visit site
He doesn't have any vices from what you describe. Not liking how he behaves is not the same as having vices. How he behaves screams pain to me, have you had him scoped for ulcers, that behaviour is typical of them. But they usually result from pain elsewhere.

You can't check a back without x rays, were those done?
Kicking is a vice. Yes going to get him scoped next. My old mare had ulcers and made her a different horse

ycbm

Visit site
Yeah think so too, again they signed a contract saying the scar was cosmetic and didn’t effect and he was great under saddle, just been out of work for 3 months due to no rider and that’s why he was at a sales livery. The sales livery had good reviews so I was surprised with all the lies.

Was it the dealer who signed the contract? Because your contract to buy was actually with the owner, not the dealer/ agent, and I'm not sure it will be worth the paper it's written on.

I'm sorry again, but in the situation you describe, unless this horse has a terrific competition record, I would never have bought him (and I do have history of buying unseen and of buying problem horses to sort out).

I hope you manage to get him sorted, he looks a nice sort.