Just can't find a horse to buy!

exracehorse

Visit site
I know I'm not the only one with horse buying woes but this is getting ridiculous. It's not just the time but fuel costs. I have a good budget upto 3.5k so thought it wouldn't be as hard as this. I saw one today who unfortunately spent more time going backwards than forwards! I've exhausted all the local sites, looked at Horsemart. Horse and hound. Preloved. I'm wondering now if I should wait until the spring, as would have more time, and buy a quality youngster but not sure where to look.

Visit site
Don't feel disheartened, eventually you'll find a horse that you feel that connection with and won't ever look back! It took me 14 months to find my beastie but I'm glad I waited and didn't get one that want quite what I was looking for

JDH01

Visit site
I have to say I have never found it a problem. There are loads out there but you have to be canny, the last 2 I have bought were advertised for £1500 to £2000 more than I paid, went to look and bargained hard. Try looking a bit above your budget and bargain hard.

be positive

Visit site
You don't say what you are looking for but your budget is probably not enough and it is the sum that so many people seem to have so there will be limited choices, the good ones will get snapped up very quickly as they are probably slightly undervalued , the not so good ones are overpriced and will have issues, it is almost, in my experience, the worst price range to be looking in as you expect something half decent, most will not fit your criteria in one way or another the few that are left will probably be duds.
You often find something at the lower end of the market will almost suit and because it is cheaper are more prepared to put in work or compromise, I am not sure you will find a quality youngster for that money in the spring but you may find something ready to back now if the owner wants to sell before getting it backed and save the cost of keeping for the rest of the winter.

Keep an eye on Horsequest, that is where most of the quality horses get advertised and take a look at the PC site I have bought and sold several through there, they are not all PC ponies.

exracehorse

Visit site
What are you looking for? Someone on HHO may have just what you are looking for!

Not worried about jumping. I just want a good mover. Have weekly dressage lessons. Love schooling and hacking out. Must hack alone. Easy on the ground 15.2 to 16.2. Quick off the leg.

mega spoilt ponies

Visit site
I feel you... My budget is 10k and i cant find anything either! I think people may havd stopped advertising for xmas. I find mostly that the adverts decribe the horses as amazing, the next valegro than you get the video footage of them being ridden and they go around the arena like a camel! 😩

exracehorse

Visit site
[

I feel you... My budget is 10k and i cant find anything either! I think people may havd stopped advertising for xmas. I find mostly that the adverts decribe the horses as amazing, the next valegro than you get the video footage of them being ridden and they go around the arena like a camel! 😩
. I agree with you. It MUST be time of year as there is literally nothing. On horse and hound. Under Suffolk. There are only a handful and the rest are adverts of a year old. Horsemart only have a few new entries once a week in my county or near to. If you remove the dodgy meadow stables at wickford adverts. I was going to buy one and had vet booked for vetting this week but I had to pull out. Perhaps in the new year people will put their horses up for sale. And yes the photos etc are sooo deceiving. I viewed one and it looked so unlike the photos on the advert that I thought the groom had brought in the wrong horse

mega spoilt ponies

Visit site
Thats why i always ask for video footage- if i visited most of the horses i liked based on written advert i would've wasted a huge amount of mine/sellers time! Im finding a lot of overpriced youngsters at the moment with owners having a warped idea of what a 10k horse is.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
What about upping the price range you are looking at to £4000 and when contacting the seller, seeing if they would take £3500. My friend just paid £2500 for one advertised at £3300.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Not worried about jumping. I just want a good mover. Have weekly dressage lessons. Love schooling and hacking out. Must hack alone. Easy on the ground 15.2 to 16.2. Quick off the leg.

Would you want a retrained ex racer? Friend has one who has been very successful at showing and dressage for sale. She events and he's not interested in jumping or he wouldn't be for sale. Within your budget.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
I really struggled to find one for a long time. I then looked outside the box rather than exactly what I wanted and ended up with a 4 year old Connemara - lovely mover, great jump and safe as houses - couldn't be happier and he is totally not what I wanted!

kassieg

Visit site
My instructor got a load of youngsters from ireland! Loved all of them when I went to see them. Not sure what he will have left but I can 100% vouch for the quality of them! Pm me if you want info :)

exracehorse

Visit site
[no ex racers. Hence my user name. Had him pts two months ago. Mechanically broken and a nut job. I do look out of the box. I bought a saddlebred last yr but she's torn her annular ligament and needs a long time off. I'm off to view a chestnut gelding I saw on preloved today. Awful advert but 6 miles down the road called Hugo! I'll let you know how it goes. Just leaving now.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I think that with Xmas around the corner people will not have bothered advertising their horses until the new year. Also don't just look at horses for £3500, try looking at horses at £4500. It will broaden your search & you may find that they will let the horse got for your budget. If you don't try you won't know. Before you go to see a horse ask for video links to the horse, ask them loads of questions & hopefully you'll be able to discount horses & save time & fuel in not going to see them. A genuine seller will oblige you with answers & video. Also ask about when the video was shot. I was due to view one & the horse went well in video but the video was 12 months out of date & the horse had been injured & couldn't hold a good canter for any decent period. I challenged the seller over this & was told "If I'd mentioned this you wouldn't come to see him", Too right I wouldn't. I wasted hours of travel & gallons of fuel. I saw the horse later advertised but she mentioned the injury. :(

skewbaldmillie

Visit site
Look at lots that you think won't suit you too. My horse of a life time is totally not what I wanted. I was looking for a safe 14.2-15.0 gelding. Jumping up to 2"9 safe hack not spooky 9-15 years old. I bough a 3 year old mare, tb X cob type. Now jumps 1.10 courses and has scope to go so much higher. Doesn't hack alone, spooks at everything, no brakes, hugely sensitive mouth and sides, Bucks rears and bolts but she is perfect. (Wouldn't suggest picking all the issues though)

exracehorse

Visit site
Well. Went and viewed Hugo. Stunning 16.2 gelding. Couldn't get a bridle on. Took three of us over the head collar. Owner said never normally does that. Napped badly at the gate. Needed loads schooling. Stubborn. But despite heavy rain and only 6 degrees was really chilled. Laziest tb I've ever ridden. Bottom bottom of my price bracket at 800 pounds. Thought worth a view as 8 miles down the road. Jury out on that one.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
You will find something, just need to start with word of mouth. There is a stud local to me that has been known to sell off their 3/4 year olds for peanuts compared to their breeding!
I got my new boy by being in the right place at the right time. Got him for much less than your budget, but he is worth a lot more.
However if you want an established nice horse you will have to up your budget, if that is at all possible. I initially had £5k to find a nice RC type horse, I struggled. I now have a lovely novice level eventer.
Good luck!

exracehorse

Visit site
I have 4K to my name and its taken 4 years to save. I really did think that would buy a dressage horse to compete with and improve on. Probably wouldn't go higher than novice so not looking for the best of the best and can hack alone. Equally would look at lower end which I have done but it's rubbish rubbish at that level. Oh well. I shall have to kiss a few frogs before I find my prince. Al my horsey friends are looking too but agree there's not much to even go and view

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I have 4K to my name and its taken 4 years to save. I really did think that would buy a dressage horse to compete with and improve on. Probably wouldn't go higher than novice so not looking for the best of the best and can hack alone. Equally would look at lower end which I have done but it's rubbish rubbish at that level. Oh well. I shall have to kiss a few frogs before I find my prince. Al my horsey friends are looking too but agree there's not much to even go and view
Depends, a friend got a failed well bred eventer for less than your budget. Lovely mover just doesn't understand how to jump!
I didn't believe my instructor that I should just wait for the right horse, she kept telling me not to bother looking as she would get offered a suitable horse for me. I didn't listen to her for the first 3 months, then she found me the perfect horse. Under budget and even more than I wanted/needed. Just got to wait, there are bargains to be had.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Each time I read one of these types of thread it makes me realise how lucky I was - I was after something between 15 - 15.2hh, all rounder, under 8yo, I'd even decided that my preferences would be a grey, coloured or dun (although that wouldn't be the deal breaker). First horse I phoned up about was a 15.2hh 6yo grey and white (fulfilled the grey AND coloured criteria) ISH all rounder for under £4K. Within a week he was mine and I couldn't have found myself a more perfect horse.

I have been down the look at loads without success route in the past and ended up buying from a dealer who was also an acquaintance

conniegirl

Visit site
If you are only looking within your own county then the choice will; be extremly limited.

If you are willing to travel you will find more.

exracehorse

Visit site
I started within the same county three months ago but of course have widened the search. We were in Norfolk on Saturday to view the gelding and last weekend I was in Essex.