Just had a narrow escape - Amazon undelivered/reschedule delivery

Birker2020

Visit site
Ordered a Acid Ease from Amazon yesterday to be delivered today to Mum's house (as she never goes out).
Had a text half an hour ago from supposedly the delivery driver/delivery company saying your driver attempted to deliver a parcel at 14.13 on 17 March but no one answered. Reschedule and track parcel at: https:mydepot.redelivery-fee610.com

When I clicked on the link it asked me for my credit card details and I thought it was suspicious for redelivery fees.
When I rang the mobile number it was a voice mail who said they were GIFF GAFF! Partner says its a scam, since googled it, and it is indeed.

Just gone onto Amazon to check status of parcel and it's arriving tomorrow before 8am! Flipping heck, that was a close thing.

So is it just coincidence that I got a text about an order I was waiting for? Or do you think somehow the scammers knew I'd placed an order and if so how?

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had a huge problem with Amazon, had to c lose my account in the end as it was obvious that their end wasn't secure. I say this as someone who changed their password numerous times, also set up 2 step authentication so that they would send me a text with a code before ordering. But, someone kept taking the restrictions off again!

They were ordering stuff, cancelling the order before it was dispatched but asking the payment to be refunded as a gift voucher, then ordering online game credits or something (I am not a gamer) and paying with the gift voucher.

Amazon insisted it was me doing this, because the original (cancelled) orders were for delivery to my home address. It went on and on as it was hundreds of pounds. I think OH in the end did a subject access request, we proved that the IP address using the credits was not mine, and they did eventually pay up.

Meanwhile, I cancelled my cards on that account, good thing as soon more stuff was in my 'basket' that wasn't by me but the fraudsters couldn't pay as I now didn't have any payment method. This was after password changes and 2 step authentication, that was removed mysteriously.

Each time I rung up, there was a lovely but ineffectual person, then I would be told to change the password and we started again.

I still have the account, but no payment method. I got a new email and started a new account.

The 'leak' was defo from them though, no one else had access to my account.

Charley657

Visit site
When I changed mobile providers and kept my old number, Virgin, who are my new provider had to link it somehow to my new phone for which they automatically issue a new number. It took them a few days to do the switch and even now its still not working correctly as family will receive a text from me but it comes in on the new number instead of the old one I brought over with me. Well I had gotten a text claiming to be from Royal Mail and I text back something rude knowing it was a scam - DONT BE AS STUPID AS ME. A few days later, the scammers used my new number to send the scam texts to people and I woke up in the middle of the night to my phone going off with all these abusive messages from people thinking I was the scammer. They might be scammers but they can be pretty smart at times. Virgin denied that it could ever have happened of course.

Visit site
Ordered a Acid Ease from Amazon yesterday to be delivered today to Mum's house (as she never goes out).
Had a text half an hour ago from supposedly the delivery driver/delivery company saying your driver attempted to deliver a parcel at 14.13 on 17 March but no one answered. Reschedule and track parcel at: https:mydepot.redelivery-fee610.com

When I clicked on the link it asked me for my credit card details and I thought it was suspicious for redelivery fees.
When I rang the mobile number it was a voice mail who said they were GIFF GAFF! Partner says its a scam, since googled it, and it is indeed.

Just gone onto Amazon to check status of parcel and it's arriving tomorrow before 8am! Flipping heck, that was a close thing.

So is it just coincidence that I got a text about an order I was waiting for? Or do you think somehow the scammers knew I'd placed an order and if so how?

I wouldn’t be surprised. I work for Hermes (now called Evri) and I was delivering yesterday and a man opened the door and said ‘oh you found us eventually then!’ To which I gave him a funny look and he said he’d had a message a while back saying I couldn’t deliver as couldn’t find him - which I never sent and it was the first time I’d tried to deliver to him… he was actually my last stop of the day anyway. I don’t know what goes on with the automated messages sometimes.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site

It's phishing.

So many people order from Amazon that a phisher can send an email with that same text to a million people practically free of charge, and it will seem believable for a few thousand.

Those few thousand will click on the link, and maybe a few dozen will enter their credit card number or bank details.

Ker-Ching.

Lexi_

Visit site
^ what Keith said.

Also I find the Amazon drivers by me are pretty reliable for ringing you if there are access issues or you’re not there to take the delivery (both work and home). Don’t think I’ve ever had an official text from them, or a card through the door. They’ll usually try and redeliver the same day. Generally I’d always be hugely dubious of a redelivery text as there are just so many scams going around.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Slightly related, the delivery companies don't help the situation.

A couple of days ago I got an SMS from an unknown number announcing that a package had been delivered for me to a beauty salon (that serves also as a parcel drop-off) in town; the message gave the name and address of the salon (which exists) and a tracking number, but did not give the name of the shipping company or of the sender. Android suggested that it might be spam, and prompted me to add the phone number to the block-list

Yesterday I got a second message, this time from my mobile phone company, with the same message... Phone numbers can be spoofed, but maybe the phone company has a way of comparing messages it is carrying with messages that it knows it has sent and then drop those messages that are spoofed.

I know that my daughter (in Canada) has ordered things to be delivered to this salon so I asked her... not her.

So I walked down to the salon yesterday and picked up the small parcel, and it was indeed for me, and it was something that I had ordered, but that should have been delivered to my home address. And this was an item worth about €60 coming from outside the EU, and so in theory might have been liable for import duty and VAT. In the past, I've ordered higher value things (such as camera lenses from Japan) that have been carried by the French Post Office, by DHL or by FedEx, and I've paid the duty and VAT on-line. I would not have been all that surprised to receive an SMS directing me to a website to pay those charges on this particular order.

So here we have the transport company not delivering as it should, but to a drop-off point, then sending dodgy-looking, unidentifiable messages that make it hard to know what is really happening.

I'm not surprised that some people get taken in by the scams.

Peglo

Visit site
I get these emails from ‘royal mail’ all the time saying they couldn’t deliver my parcel for whatever reason and to click the link. Sometimes I have something coming home, other times I don’t. As Keith says they only need 1 or 2 folk to click.
I worked for the Royal Mail for a while so know that’s no what happens when you can’t deliver a parcel. (Also my doors always open so there’s never a reason they couldn’t deliver.)

lamlyn2012

Visit site
We had a landline call last night purporting to be Amazon regarding a pending order. Neither of us had ordered anything but we were thinking how easy it would be to get scammed if you were actually waiting for an order.
We rarely order from Amazon but strangely I have been looking at fencing insulators on their site over the past couple of days.

Equi

Visit site
Just a coincidence. I got two texts yesterday about my parcel which got me excited thinking I’d ordered something then forgotten about it, felt like Christmas! But alas I had not ordered anything so texts were ignored and number blocked lol

mavandkaz

Visit site
Certainly does.
We've sometimes just been talking about something and the next thing it's advertised on your Facebook page.
Phone's do seem to have ears.

It does make me laugh, as I can always tell what the OH has been searching for/looking at on his iPad, as I start getting adverts for it on Facebook.
He insists that his iPad and the wifi are secure, and it shouldn't happen, but it still does.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
It does make me laugh, as I can always tell what the OH has been searching for/looking at on his iPad, as I start getting adverts for it on Facebook.
He insists that his iPad and the wifi are secure, and it shouldn't happen, but it still does.
This happens with us too!
My OH keeps looking at cars.
It was ages before I let on that I could see what he'd been looking at.?