Just had first worm count done... what now?

Ziggy_

Visit site
I'm new to worm counting, I bought my first test kit the other day and have just recieved the results - no worm eggs were seen at all apparently. So I'm wondering what do I do now - do I worm or not? I did intend to use worm counts to eventually reduce the frequency of worming, but is it safe to do this on the basis of one negative test?

I last wormed approx 13 weeks ago with Equest Pramox, my mare shares her field with one other mare who is also wormed, and we poo pick daily.

sykokat

Visit site
I think you are ok then. Shouldn't need to worm. I think if the count is 50 or below no need to worm. Anything over, they should advise you what to worm for and with. You still need to cover the horse for tape worms as these don't show on worm counts, only blood tests.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I did my first worm count a couple of weeks ago and got a very low count. I emailed the lab who did it for further advice and they said that as long as he had been done for tapeworm last time I should do another test in 3 months and see what result I get then. I had used Equest wormers for the previous year as I dont know his history. Hope this helps.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Firstly it doesnt mean your horse has no worms, the way samples are taken and the quantities of sample used in the lab make a difference to the result shown. Though you might expect a count to be low if he was treated 13 weeks ago partly as it is winter.

IMO worm counts are very beneficial to build up a picture of your horses worm burden but are prob best used on a long term basis. If I were to use them (I dont atm due to our specific situation) then I think they are very useful over the summer grazing season.

They will not account for encysted redworm or tapeworm so you still need to worm for these, the redworm once in the winter and the tapeworm at least once in spring or autumn.

If for example you counted over a summer grazing season and get consistently low counts then you are less likely to have a problem with encysted redworm emerging in spring.

I am not sure whether your treatment 12 weeks ago will have been too soon to treat for these possibly encysteds, I normally do them december. I would want to check this with my vet or similar before deciding not to treat

ETA I have just done some checking and think that worming in november for the encysted (which you have done) should be fine