Just had vet out....pony was having acute asthma

neddymad

Visit site
Evening all, I have just had a very stressful 3 hrs watching one of my ponies struggling to breathe and on the verge of collapse. She is my pride and joy and I really thought I was going to lose her. Vet has been out and treated her and I am back off up there in a bit to check on her she was much better after the drugs.

Have any of you any experience of asthma in horses and how you manage it. Any info or advice would be really appreciated x

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
My old mare suddenly developed asthma in her late teens. It seemed to be a pollen allergy as her asthma attacks happened only at certain times of year and when she was turned out on still days.

The vet gave me an inhaler which I used with a spacer. The first couple of times I had to use it it took two of us (you have to cover one nostril and get the dose down the other), but as soon as she twigged that the inhaler was a good thing she cooperated and I could do it on my own.

It's really scary when an attack happens the first couple of times, but once you are set up you can use the inhaler when it is needed and certainly for my mare the drugs worked quickly and effectively.

She was more of a happy hacker than anything else, so I don't know what the effect would have been on her performance if she'd been a competition horse.

Does that help at all? I'll answer any questions I can if it would help. Asthma doesn't have to be the end of the world, certainly.

magichorse

Visit site
My horse was diagnosed with asthma about 18 months ago. It is controlled effectively with an inhaler. The inhaler that we use covers the entire muzzle then the spacer is attached to the front. My horse adapted very well to this (with the help of a treat as the inhaler goes on!) and as said above he seems to realise it helps. The amount of 'puffs' he has daily depend on if I have heard him coughing (rarely now). Initially he also had a supplement in his feed, but tbh I'm not sure if this made a real difference. Although I'm more of a happy hacker with a few local shows/ lessons, he copes with this fine. Asthma, for us, is a very manageable condition. Good luck and feel free to PM me. x

ainouu

Visit site
My ponio has a mild asthma and my previous pony had it too, in a bit more severe form. For both it was probably caused by badly ventilated stables and dusty hay.

After the diagnosis my pony started to live outside 24/7 throughout the year, he's got a little stable with 3 walls for shelter but it's open enough so that it doesn't get stuffy. In the summer we soak his hay to get rid of dust and if he gets worse, he gets asthma powder. He does fine normally, I think being outdoors is a massive help. Stables are always dusty and that's the worst cause of asthma.

In the summer when there is loads of pollen in the air, asthma can get a lot worse but in most cases it is manageable. Obviously the horse shouldn't be worked as hard because it gets out of breath easily but once the asthma is under control, they can lead perfectly happy lives :)

neddymad

Visit site
Thank you for your replies they help greatly. Just checked her and she is much much better, not perfect but definately better.

It was very scary to watch and I hope it won't happen again but at least I know what it is now.

Rose Folly

Visit site
My mare had a very bad attack of RAO (formerly known as COPD) which the attending vet told me is very similar to an asthma attack, and the drugs are the same (in her case) as those used for humans. I nearlyt lost her that night, and immediately, on the vet's advice, bought an inhaler (he had used one in treating her).

They are not cheap (about £260-300) but so worth it. She has only had two other minor attacks in the intervening 3 years, and with the inhaler and the drugs in the tack room I know what I'm doiong and haven't even had to call the vet out.

In her case she is not quite the horse she was, but as I'm only a happy hacker that doesn't matter a bit to me. Others with more high-performing horses can tell y ou how theirs were afterwards.

But don't despair - it's scariest the first time, when you don't know what it is, what to do, and don't have the equipment.

Janette

Visit site
My girl had an attack about 4 weeks ago and has recovered well.
If your horse was treated with steroids, please keep an eye on her feet, because in our case, they brought on laminitis.

lme

Visit site
One of our ponies had 2 very scary looking asthma attacks, requiring vet, injection of something etc. The vet thought it was a reaction to pollen (pony lives out so it wasn't dusty bedding / hay etc). She used to have an inhaler for summer months & as people above have said, she coped fine. Since moving yards (we were in a valley & are now up on a hill with lots of breeze) she's been fine.

Millsy1

Visit site
My first pony had asthma we had her on loan and when we found out her owners wanted to pts but we wouldn't let them so was given her for free. Found out if she was stabled on dust free shavings and equilage instead of hay she was fine only problem was dusty arenas and tracks so we avoided them

Spotsrock

Visit site
my pony woke me up in the night when stabled at home having a chronic attack. My usual vet came out in the middle of the night and calmly sorted it. Follow up was with young vet who carted her to horspital for tests and scopes etc (had to call up a month later and chase the results but anywho). Young vet writes her off as broken so I buy cheap replacement to hack and jump as pony not allowed to leave yard in summer or jump at all.

2 months later pony out competing again no problem though unaffiliated as on ventapulmin.

6 months later pony on 'Ventilate' which I believe is by winergy and shavings/haylege (cheap replacement loaned out as I can't cope with that many in work).

This year (4 years later) and the last 2 years pony on unsoaked hay and shavings no meds or supplements and happy as proverbial pig.

Take your time, be positive and don't give up. If in doubt get a second opinion and always look for an experienced horse vet not newly qualified or small and large animal.

Last edited: