Just how hard can it be

Smitty

Visit site
To take a few decentish pictures of your horse from various angles to put in your advert?

Have been horse hunting since October for a Connie type and am amazed at the amount of adverts with a single photo of the head/standing head on/rugged/at an angle/head over stable door/behind a gate does not give me a lot to go on and a request for further pictures is likely to brand me a time waster!

I realise that it may well cost more to use a few pictures but in that case a picture sideways on with the horse standing square and untacked is what I would find most useful.

There are some blindingly awful pics out there and I just can't for the life of me imagine anybody thinking they would help sell their horse. They range from 'arty' (grey standing almost head on with the winter sun behind it which seems to reflect off the pile of pebbles in front of it - fabulous picture but horse not at all clear) to the utterly bizarre - Done deal advertisers are good at this - horse's body but no head, people hanging off them at angles that make your eyes water and the best one yet, horse standing head on but photo taken just as it turned to bite its side and swish its tail so you just have to try and work out what bits go where. I mean why.

I did request further pics of one advertised on preloved. This was enthusiastically embraced and I ended up with several, covered in mud and tacked up (complete with draw reins), bathed and untacked, bathed untacked and plaited up, the only problem being every single one was taken from the same angle.

So please vendors bear in mind that most dealers use a pic of the horse from the side standing square untacked, and then a few of it moving/ridden. This must work for them, it could you also.

Cowpony

Visit site
Ah, but if everybody took pictures like that you wouldn't be able to spot the dealers!:D

Seriously though, I do agree with you. I'm not looking at the moment but can't help browsing the pictures which appear over there every day >>>>. In some of them you can barely see the horse!

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
I am so with you! When I was looking for a horse I started stopping going unless they could provide me with 1 minute video of the horse, I can't believe it was so difficult, all you have to do is point your smartphone at them for 1 minute! I hate those awful videos where you have 3 minutes of all there best photos montages with crap music and a few seconds of them cantering which stops just as you can see the horse going unbalanced.

NeilM

Visit site
We had this a few months ago when looking for a nice native mare (which we now have), the words 'potential' and a blurry picture of something (could be a horse... could be a cow) going over a jump, still haunt me.

Enfys

Visit site
I love looking at 'For Sale' photos, just for the OMG value :) I always only use a photo to give me an indication of colour, size (unless there is a giant, or a pixie holding the horse) and the fact that there is a head and a tail at one end or the other and a leg at each corner. After that I go and see or ask for specific pictures. This is a terrible photo :D

juno2-1.jpg

I bought this pair! The foal was a true Ugly duckling but turned out very nicely, the mare was actually 15.1h, beautifully bred and an all round nice girl, the chap handling her was 6'7"