Just lost my boy to laminitis

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
Finn got laminitis for the first time ever a couple of months ago. He is nearly 21 and the vets were convinced it was Cushings related - but all tests came back as negative. We treated him as recommended (antilam feed, soaked hay, expert trimming, hoof boots) and he seemed to make a great recovery. A week ago he was totally sound. We moved up to Scotland last Tuesday and had arranged for all three horses to be professionally transported up here today. And then this morning I got a call from my friend who has been looking after them this week; Finn had suddenly gone incredibly lame again and could not walk at all, in spite of being absolutely fine yesterday. Being 435 miles away I'm heartbroken that I couldn't be with him but there was only one option and at 9.15 he went to the bridge. I'm devastated to lose the sweetest, kindest pony you could ever wish to meet. We've never had a horse with lami before. What a dreadful thing it is. I'd just urge everyone to be extra vigilant and take action at the very slightest sign that something is wrong.
Run free with the hounds Finn - no more pain now.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am so sorry to hear this, you are right, laminitis is a truly horrible condition. It is such a shame that you weren't able to be with him this morning but your friend was obviously very vigilant and between you, you made the best decision for Finn. He is out of pain now, try to concentrate on that.

eahotson

Visit site
Finn got laminitis for the first time ever a couple of months ago. He is nearly 21 and the vets were convinced it was Cushings related - but all tests came back as negative. We treated him as recommended (antilam feed, soaked hay, expert trimming, hoof boots) and he seemed to make a great recovery. A week ago he was totally sound. We moved up to Scotland last Tuesday and had arranged for all three horses to be professionally transported up here today. And then this morning I got a call from my friend who has been looking after them this week; Finn had suddenly gone incredibly lame again and could not walk at all, in spite of being absolutely fine yesterday. Being 435 miles away I'm heartbroken that I couldn't be with him but there was only one option and at 9.15 he went to the bridge. I'm devastated to lose the sweetest, kindest pony you could ever wish to meet. We've never had a horse with lami before. What a dreadful thing it is. I'd just urge everyone to be extra vigilant and take action at the very slightest sign that something is wrong.
Run free with the hounds Finn - no more pain now.
Very sorry for your loss.

Reacher

Visit site
Very sorry for your loss, and very hard for you not being with him. I lost my childhood pony to laminitis 14 years ago and still feel the pain.

There seems to be an epidemic if laminitis at least in our area so we all need to be vigilant.