Just marking myself safe from Winter 2023/2024

YourValentine

Visit site
Our field is ridge and furrow, and its value is showing this winter.

The ridges are muddy but ok, the furrows are a quagmire.

Then, come the summer the ridges will dry out but the furrows stay green.

holeymoley

Visit site
I'm not sure to be honest, I doubt it's clay so thinking sandy soil. I think it may be within the lines of old drainage a friend with a farm was saying the same thing was happening to her. Basically the drainage is clogged so water comes out where it can. It's not the first in that field to be fair, some are really deep holes, this seems a bit more shallow but with a hole that looks like a rabbit warren or something. Thankfully mine don't run about and it should be quite obvious to them.

dorsetladette

Visit site
The wind is really cold this morning, but maybe it will help dry the ground a bit.

Robin still naked - I've given up. If he can manage OK with the weather we have had the last few days he doesn't need a rug. Won't hurt weight wise that's for sure.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Leaving them standing in mud 24/7 cannot be any good for them neither can being thoroughly drenched on a regular basis.
Mine live out with shelter which is normally the perfect ideal, but I'm shin deep in slop if I step in the wrong place in front of my shelter. I've had to go begging to the nearby joiner's yard for sawdust to put inside it, to soak up the slop that's poured in. My cob has been unshod all winter, but it's now taking its toll on his feet. He's reluctant to set out hacking and I even trimmed his frogs yesterday in case there was an abscess hole somewhere. I've found an abscess in his frogs previously and he was very stoic then! The rest of his feet (wall and soles) have held up amazingly well, so I'll be really annoyed if I have to shoe this time, just because his soles are soft! I simply can't find a hoof boot that takes in his massive heels and cope with the feather - and stay on.

On the plus side, the sawdust has done great inside the shelter, although predictably cob is enjoying his new urinal...

setterlover

Visit site
Everytime they forecast 2 or 3 dry days it manages a heavy rain shower even though not forecast.
Our fields are free draining and are a whisker away from harrowing and rolling but as soon as I think a couple more days and we will get on to the field with a harrow and roller down comes the rain!!!
Spring must be on the way a friend of mine said when she walked the top end of her field yesterday there was frog spawn in a large puddle.!!!! Wish the frog 🐸 good luck with that can't see them making it to becoming frogs! (At least I hope not can't be doing with that much more rain)

Ratface

Visit site
Old Horse is back in the naughty corner field, as he is still high as a kite on - who knows what?
Fed ad lib hay, very plain feed, which is now going to be slightly reduced.
Head Groom, who usually brings him in, just said "Spring" in a "We Are Not Amused" sort of voice.
Of course, he was very kissy kissy with me and was duly rewarded with a carrot and a neck scratch - through the encrusted mud!

maya2008

Visit site
Mine are all high as kites! Well, the sensible ones are still being sensible (thankfully, new project amongst them) but I had the 21 year old Shetland (who only eats straw with a sprinkling of low sugar haylage) bucking and rearing on her walk this morning so… 🤷‍♀️.

Mr Wind is in my bad books today. Lifting the electric fencing while I watched! It’s all now tied to nice chunky branches. Ponies were chasing the hay round the field too, so I had to stuff that in a nice big fallen branch so they had enough time to eat it before it blew away!

Last edited: