Just playing ponies (rant alert)

blitznbobs

Visit site
Someone said something to me yesterday that kind of struck a nerve. She is a semi pro and doing ok at competitions at a national level.

she was commenting on my set up ( which in my eyes is amazing I’ve done ponies on all levels from a field and a sand school) I have a set up most people could only dream of (60 x40 arena, a few jumps (I’m not a show jumper but like the odd pop) full post and rail fencing, 7 stables all rubber lined one of which is a wash box a small human gym etc etc etc but No cross country set up, no horse walker.

she said (and I can’t decide if it was just a throw away line or being bitchy/ jealous) it’s ok if “you’re just playing ponies” ... this kinda stung a bit, I’d never considered I was ”just playing ponies”... I’ve ridden in my younger years at a highish level, I’ve kept my horses to the best standard, they never want for anything ... but it came to me in the middle of the night — hell yes, I’m just playing ponies, but shouldn’t we all be? From Charlotte and Carl, to WFP, and everyone involved with these amazing beings. No one in the UK needs to plough their fields with a horse or use a carriage to get around. There are much, much more efficient ways to make money than horses (joke : how do you make a small fortune out of horses.... start with a large one) so my conclusion ... if you’re not ”playing at ponies” then why the f**k are you doing it?

I, for one, am indeed proud to be “just playing ponies”

(rant over - just needed to get that off my chest.)

scats

Visit site
To be honest, we’re all essentially just ‘playing ponies’, even the pro’s at top level. They just take their playing a bit more seriously than the rest of us.
It’s not brain surgery, or anything really worthwhile, it’s prancing about on a horse.

Edited to add- I thoroughly enjoy playing ponies, of course!

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I would like to think that I am an intermediate level pony player, aspiring to Advanced level. I'm intermediate because I'm pretty good at just titting with my ponies and enjoying it, but do take myself too seriously occasionally. For Advanced level pony playing you must fully channel the pony loving 8yo inside you at all times ?

catkin

Visit site
I would like to think that I am an intermediate level pony player, aspiring to Advanced level. I'm intermediate because I'm pretty good at just titting with my ponies and enjoying it, but do take myself too seriously occasionally. For Advanced level pony playing you must fully channel the pony loving 8yo inside you at all times ?

I'm going to brag now - I've got an actual pony, and we've got some barrels to bend round and race round - guess what we've been doing........ - Advanced pony playing here ;) ;)
Oh and both pony and his companion have picture-book long flowing manes

yeah I know - blummin show-offs, shouldn't be allowed, mutter mutter mutter.....

I'm Dun

Visit site
I am an advanced level pony player. I ride when it suits me, do what I feel like with them and often do things so ridiculous even I wonder if its a good idea. I once hogged my cobs mane into dinosaur spikes just for the crack. I quite often just faff with them. We are all radiantly happy! :D

Kahlua

Visit site
For sure her comment was a bitchy / jealous one, or at the least an uneducated one, because the stables of the Olympic rider I worked for only had an indoor, outdoor and a barn (no walker, loads of paddocks etc etc). When I went and tried horses O/S last year and visited a number of friends who are top of their game, all operated from minimalist properties. The level of fancy facilities you have does not make you more professional or serious. Your set up sounds quite perfect and I’d love to have something like that!!

Edited to add: and yes I think we are all playing ponies!!

Last edited:

Flame_

Visit site
I remember some off the cuff comment from an endurance rider being very dismissive of "middle aged women who just want to hack round a hill".

Now I'm kind of proud that's exactly what I am and I'm sure, if asked, my horse wouldn't beg to run further or be tested harder.

ETA I'm envious of your playground too :p

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
I’m going to go one step further propose when this stuff happens we call it. This comment was deliberate, sharp and nasty.

Just a simple, “wow, what a nasty thing to say” And then be silent.

I absolutely hate this crap from women who have never matured emotionally beyond age 14yrs and won’t tolerate it.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I’m going to go one step further propose when this stuff happens we call it. This comment was deliberate, sharp and nasty.

Just a simple, “wow, what a nasty thing to say” And then be silent.

I absolutely hate this crap from women who have never matured emotionally beyond age 14yrs and won’t tolerate it.
I usually do call nasty things but it was slipped into a normal horsey conversation and I was kind of ‘ did I really hear that right?’ And ’maybe I’m over sensitive’ it was when my mind was overthinking it at 3am that it started to really grate....

catkin

Visit site
I remember some off the cuff comment from an endurance rider being very dismissive of "middle aged women who just want to hack round a hill".

Now I'm kind of proud that's exactly what I am and I'm sure, if asked, my horse wouldn't beg to run further or be tested harder.

ETA I'm envious of your playground too :p

This made me snort with laughter. Maybe I've lived a sheltered life but the one time I tried Endurance it was exactly that - hacking round a hill

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Surely "playing ponies" is what it's all about..?! I didn't have horses as a kid, didn't ride til I was in my very early teens. I did have My Little Ponies though......and I've just graduated to bigger versions ? I spend alot of time just "faffing " with mine, whether it be teaching them silly tricks, grooming them or plaiting their manes and tails with ribbons ? And do you know what..?! I don't give a shit what other people think these days....I do it for me and the horses, we have FUN ..!!!
In fairness, BnB, your pony playground sounds amazing..!!! I don't have a school, or stables, and mine live out 24/7 so it all sounds posh to me.
This woman sounds like a right bitch, I know it's hard but don't let her rain on your parade x

Lois Lame

Visit site
Someone said something to me yesterday that kind of struck a nerve. She is a semi pro and doing ok at competitions at a national level.

she was commenting on my set up ( which in my eyes is amazing I’ve done ponies on all levels from a field and a sand school) I have a set up most people could only dream of (60 x40 arena, a few jumps (I’m not a show jumper but like the odd pop) full post and rail fencing, 7 stables all rubber lined one of which is a wash box a small human gym etc etc etc but No cross country set up, no horse walker.

she said (and I can’t decide if it was just a throw away line or being bitchy/ jealous) it’s ok if “you’re just playing ponies” ... this kinda stung a bit, I’d never considered I was ”just playing ponies”... I’ve ridden in my younger years at a highish level, I’ve kept my horses to the best standard, they never want for anything ... but it came to me in the middle of the night — hell yes, I’m just playing ponies, but shouldn’t we all be? From Charlotte and Carl, to WFP, and everyone involved with these amazing beings. No one in the UK needs to plough their fields with a horse or use a carriage to get around. There are much, much more efficient ways to make money than horses (joke : how do you make a small fortune out of horses.... start with a large one) so my conclusion ... if you’re not ”playing at ponies” then why the f**k are you doing it?

I, for one, am indeed proud to be “just playing ponies”

(rant over - just needed to get that off my chest.)

Your set up sounds wonderful and I am so glad you don't have a horse walker.

Roxylola

Visit site
I'd love a 60 by 40 to play ponies in. I know pros who train with Carl who have much less than you describe.
I think your set up sounds fab. Unless you have multiple young green horses riding at the same time you have room for 5 easily to mind their biz in there. Assuming you have sufficient land for turnout all year why would you need a walker or anything like that?
Again if I were dealing with youngsters a lot I think its worth having a lunge pen as its not great for your surface but I think a lot of the fancy stuff now is just really a replacement for hacking and turnout.
I think I (and most horses) would rather play ponies with your set up than do whatever it is that the pro does with their "not playing" set up

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's so annoying when you think of the perfect retort to a snarky remark after it's happened :D.

I agree with Bonnie Allie, it was a jealous deliberate barb at your lovely home set up which you have for your personal enjoyment, not as part of a income stream. Bear that in mind in any future dealings with this woman.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Oh my goodness I have happily been playing ponies for nearly 70 years now, still not bored by it. Only thing is now I am shrinking and getting smaller and my 'ponies' are getting bigger lol!

I might not be able to ride for the next year or so but I happily potter and play half the day with my retired mare and my donkeys. So yes, still happily playing with my unicorns.

I envy your lovely little set up bitznbobs, back in the day if I did anything slightly more exciting than hacking it was always done straight from the field. I think you friend is suffering from an advanced case of up your own a*%e horse owner snobbery and jealousy.