just pondering....Horse I went to see....

atot

Visit site
was lovely - a real little powerhouse, with a big 'engine' and a wonderful pop on her. She's 9, and as I was popping over a few jumps she felt forward and happy. Then a jump changed position, with the light catching on it, and it was a filler, and she slammed the brakes on. I admit I wasn't riding her forwards at all, but she isn't the sort of horse that needs that. We were all very surprised, as she seemed keen to jump. What made me worry was the fact she gave me no warning - she wasn't looking at it from a distance, and it was very out of the blue - I hateeee that. Also she's 9, not green at all, and knows what she's doing.

It could just be the light was funny on it, or that it was that 1 in a 100 stop. Or it could be that if can (which, she can) she will just slam on the brakes randomly.

Am I reading too much into it? She's perfect otherwise, its just that one stop slightly threw me. She gave it some air the next time round, which suggests to me it was the fillers/light that did it, rather than her attitude.

Thoughts from you hhoers would be lovely. Her BE record is quite clean, although she hasn't done BE since 06.

Thanks for any thoughts.

golddustsara

Visit site
I think every horse can stop and if you don't know her very well a) she was getting used to you/testing you b) you weren't riding her as confidently as you normally would. Why not go back and try her again over some jumps? By the sounds of the sudden stop something spooked her so could be unlikely to happen again. Perhaps since she hasn't BE'd in a couple of years she may be a bit rusty and you could negotiate on price.

BBH

Visit site
My horse used to fly over anything unless it was white and the brakes would slam on. I definately think its alight issue.

atot

Visit site
Thanks guys. I am going back up there to do just that, and will see how is then. It also easily could've been me, as I'm also quite rusty. Her being rusty isn't really an issue though, as she's fairly experienced and they would've schooled her over those jumps probably a fair few times before I came. I hope it was just a one off. Guess all I can do is go up there again and see.

She's an absolute gem though, so really want it to turn out well.
smile.gif

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
my now retired mare refused the first two jumps when i tried her. i bought her anyway as i felt sorry for her and i can honestly say she very very rarely stopped again thru a 7 yr bsja career. think you have to make a few allowances especially if there not used to having different riders on them

Annagain

Visit site
Go back again at a different time of day. The light should hit the fence differently so if it was a light issue it probably won't happen again. If it does happen again you know you can't blame the light and you should walk away, especially if you think it's something you can't/don't want to deal with.