Just re-homed a dog and she has gone for my dog - am I over reacting??

meleeka

Visit site
I’ve recently rehomed a dog and I wouldn’t leave her unsupervised with my older dog (new one is a German shepherd and original one a JRT so I’m aware that things could escalate). I just try and make sure they aren’t in a confined space together. They get fed in separate rooms and I’ve moved things around so there are no spaces where they are forced into close proximity. The JRT was the snappy one at first. I’m not sure I’ll ever trust them unattended, but after 6 weeks they have calmed down and actually seem to like each other.

Bellasophia

Visit site
I’m not a collie savvy person so won’t chime in as they are a very specific needs breed and miles apart from your golden.
..youve had great adviceabove,a NILIF program will set clear boundaries to establish some sense of order here.
Your golden comes first..bring her home and try to fit the collie in..also be aware that the collie will come into season sooner rather than later and could worsen the situation
Can I ask why you got this dog? Were you actually looking to adopt a collie...or was it an impulse kindly offer to take in a dog whose owners didn’t want her..think hard,if you do decide you’ve made a bad decision,the collie should go to a collie rescue .At this young age she can be rehabbed and adopted.

emilylou

Visit site
Our jealous snappy collie has now accepted the new addition but it took a while. We didnt fuss over them when they were in the same room and mostly kept them outside and not in small spaces. We did tell Lola a firm 'no' when she went for the other dog but didnt make a huge fuss about it. Now are both happy with each others company, but collie's can be difficult.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Yep. Going to get her a crate today. She is ok being tied up for now and doesn't seem bothered but I agree that not best in the long run!

Personally I prefer puppy pens to crates, since the net can be used to create anything from a crate sized space, to divide rooms, and use one piece as a gate in a doorway. But whatever works for you, and the dogs.
Hope the dog trainer session on Friday helps, and that everything works out in the end.

By the way, if you give it time, and do the training, changes suggested, but it still turns out that it doesn't work, there is no shame in that. At least you will know that you tried.

abb123

Visit site
Just to give an update on this..

I followed all the advice on here and the advice of the trainer. After seeing how they were together, my set up, and the personality of each dog we all decided that it would be best to find the new dog a new home.

I got in touch with a lot of collie dog charities and one stepped up and were absolutely amazing (protecting preloved border collies). They found a foster home for the new dog and I dropped her off there today and made sure she had settled with them. The foster home are amazing and are looking to keep her forever if it works out. They were smitten and when I left she was playing in their garden with their grown up son. She didn't even notice I was going. She will get lots of love and cuddles there and I couldn't imagine a better home for her.

Equi

Visit site
I’m glad it’s all worked out for everyone :)
Are you on the look out for another dog or was this just a happenstance thing?

abb123

Visit site
I’m glad it’s all worked out for everyone :)
Are you on the look out for another dog or was this just a happenstance thing?

I was on the look out for another dog. It wasn't a spur of the moment thing.

I am so relieved that she has found a home that seems to suit her perfectly. I have been crying all week but as soon as I saw the home and saw how quickly she settled there then I stopped crying and was very happy again :)